Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #1

Switch to Lithium - Plug n play?

I am considering switching from 2 12v AGM batteries to 6 volt and maybe Lithium to increase my boondock capability. I understand how to wire in the 6v batteries, and I can find some AGMs that give me 224ah. I assume these require no changes at the converter maybe some problems with the tie downs because the size is different.

Lithium offer more capacity as well as lighter weight and longer life. My converter says its "Battery Adaptability" is LA/AGM, no mention of Lithium. Is a different converter required for Lithium batteries? The converter is a WFCO WF-8955

Any help appreciated

John North
2012 Coachmen Freelander
JohnNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2023, 04:21 PM   #2

You are today where I was in 2015. I decided to go with two 6V AGM batteries because there were too many concerns and unanswered questions changing to Lithium.

In my case, I was replacing two problematic 12V wet acid, so the change was monumental. Those two 6V AGMs are still in service today, still performaing adequately. I bought mine back then in 2015 at Sam's Club, "Duracell" brand. I am not sure if Sam's still sells that same battery because that was 8 years ago.

ADDING: Doing a quick search, I found this which is what I bought back then.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...gm/prod3870119
Old 04-10-2023, 05:50 PM   #3

When comparing AGMs there are different guidelines than FLA.
Most AGM little / no deep cycle performance difference between say a 6V GC2 vs a 12V GP31. Most AGMs will spec both AH and CCA as they do both well and the plate design differences in FLA don't apply to AGM. Above confirmed by both East Penn (Duracell, Alliance, NAPA + other brands) and Trojan.
Just compare AH specs for house use and space available.
Just look at recommended charge profile and charge rates and if necessary / available optimize charger settings.

I have 8 of the ones Ron D linked in MH and very happy. I consider Sams Duracell a best buy. There are "higher quality" battys but at 1.5X - 2X$ I question if they will ever break even or cone out ahead.
I've used a lot of East Penn battys and have had no disappointments. Boat has 3 -8D (East Penn) AGMs that are now starting on season #10. I seriously doubt the higher price mfg will go 15-20 yrs!
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNorth View Post
I am considering switching from 2 12v AGM batteries to 6 volt and maybe Lithium to increase my boondock capability. I understand how to wire in the 6v batteries, and I can find some AGMs that give me 224ah. I assume these require no changes at the converter maybe some problems with the tie downs because the size is different.

Lithium offer more capacity as well as lighter weight and longer life. My converter says its "Battery Adaptability" is LA/AGM, no mention of Lithium. Is a different converter required for Lithium batteries? The converter is a WFCO WF-8955

I think the best advice you can get is to contact the Lithium battery company that you are interested in and ask them. In my case I talked to Battle Born about batteries and Redarc about the dc-dc charge controller. Recently I came across Enduro Power Batteries and also dug into Victron Controllers a bit more. I suggest you contact them all and ask their opinions.
Brunnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:20 PM   #5

Quote:

Any help appreciated

John North

2012 Coachmen Freelander
I'm in the process of adding a 12v lithium battery to my 2021 Tiffin red 340. My house batteries are still good, but for me to boondock with them, I only barley get through one night.
My brother has a bunch of experience with setting up lithium systems and put me on to the Signature Solar dealer in Sulfur Springs,TX. I've talked with them and discovered they have supplied many RVers with these batteries. I'm going to keep my 6 volt battery bank and add the lithium battery. I'll have a disconnect switch to select the lead acid battery bank or the lithium battery. The lithium is 400 aH. The lead acid batteries I have are only 150 aH combined and can only be discharged to around 50%.
The lithium can be discharged easily to around 8 to 10%.
The only thing I'll have to watch is the Magnum charging system. I'll have to change the battery type when I change to each set of battery sources.
I'll send a photo of the battery I have on order.
I'm welding a custom rack to mount the battery in my cargo bay. I have a ways to go, but I'll need this done before our big trip to Oshkosh for the big air show. Its boondocking for about a week!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230410-211522_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	390078

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:20 PM   #6

2005 Winebago Minnie - Switched to Lithium

I made the switch in January to 2 100 ah LiFePO4 batteries without switching my converter. I use a small 20 amp battery charger to boost the LiFEPO4 batteries when plugged into shore power every few days. When I drive a couple of hours my Renogy DC to DC charger set to Lithium charges them to full capacity. The old converter doesn't charge the LiFePO4 completely but a $65 charger made more sense to me than trying to replace the converter in my older rig. If I use my generator while boondocking I plug the battery charger in while it is running to boost the batteries. I am so glad I made the switch. My lead-acid deep cycle batteries only lasted 2 years and the last year I had flickering lights and other issues I don't have anymore.
Barsuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:40 PM   #7

VMaxx Charge Tank, best AGM on the market, it cost more but has a slow deep cycle discharge and lots of amps, no need to go Lithium.

Custom Built Military Grade Alloys. Fast Charge Delivery Capabilities. Extremely Low Self Discharge Rate.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VMAX-XTR3...96&athena=true
Old 04-12-2023, 07:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
VMaxx Charge Tank, best AGM on the market, it cost more but has a slow deep cycle discharge and lots of amps, no need to go Lithium.

Custom Built Military Grade Alloys. Fast Charge Delivery Capabilities. Extremely Low Self Discharge Rate.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VMAX-XTR3...96&athena=true
That battery would be great, unfortunately I could only fit one in my battery box at 13" long...

John
JohnNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
That battery would be great, unfortunately I could only fit one in my battery box at 13" long...

John
They have smaller sizes but will have less amps.

Of all the years of having different RV's with different deep cycle batts the VMaxx has been the best, I my small RV only has 1 VMax the large size one but it runs all night and into the next day not needed a charge.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:01 AM   #10

Quote:

Any help appreciated

John North
2012 Coachmen Freelander

John, this is a superb 12V Group 31 size AGM deep cycle battery that is built in the U.S. to Mil Specs and has a 5 year warranty. Their capacity is 125 amp hours each:
https://lifelinebatteries.com/produc...ries/gpl-31xt/
Old 06-14-2023, 06:31 PM   #11

I just increased my battery storage in my Tiffin 38ll from 150 Ah to 550 Ah. Installed a 400 Ah lithium battery in my storage compartment. It's charged by my magnum inverter/charger, or my 365W solar panel, or from a 20amp independent charger. I put in a select switch so that I can select to run on the existing flooded lead acid batteries, or the new lithium battery.
This has greatly increased my boondocking ability!
I plan to select the lead acid batteries while running down the road and let the lithium battery charge with the solar and the 20 amp charger. The lead acid will be charging with the alternator system and/ or the generator.
I'll probably use the lithium for boondocking. We plan to go to Air Venture in July. That will be a week of boondocking during the air show! I'm pretty sure that we will now be fine on battery capacity. Click image for larger version

Name:	20230612_191431.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	395396Click image for larger version

Name:	20230612_193155.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	395397

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 02:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunnie View Post
I think the best advice you can get is to contact the Lithium battery company that you are interested in and ask them. In my case I talked to Battle Born about batteries and Redarc about the dc-dc charge controller. Recently I came across Enduro Power Batteries and also dug into Victron Controllers a bit more. I suggest you contact them all and ask their opinions.

That seems kinda like asking a barber if you need a haircut.....
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 02:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetopguy View Post
The lead acid batteries I have are only 150 aH combined and can only be discharged to around 50%.

Lead acid batteries can safely be discharged down 75-80% several hundred times. So if you boondock and use 75-80% of your battery less than 30-50 times per year you will likely never use up all the cycles before the batteries die from something else or your sell the rig.

-Chris
Old 06-16-2023, 02:11 AM   #14

Just a suggestion....

You haven't really given us specifics on how long you have been able to boondock, and how long you'd like to be able to extend that time.

As you pointed out, changing from 12v batteries to 6v batteries will likely give you about 10% more battery capacity.

One alternative to give you extended boondocking time is to add in some solar. If you buy some used (but tested) panels you can get them for ~75% less than the cost of new panels. Then you just need ~30-40' of wiring, an inline fuse, and a solar charge controller to create a portable system. 300w of solar could (assuming it is sunny) get you 60-100AH added back into your batteries each day. Could be enough to keep you boondocking for a long time. (...and if you have a generator, that can always be a last ditch backup to charge batteries if you needed).

Happy camping!
Chris

Tags
lithium, switch