Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2021, 11:20 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Taming engine noise in Class C RVs

Our Class C is built on a Ford E450 chassis with the V10 engine. As it came it both nosy in the cab, hard to carry on a conversation and hot around the passenger's side of the doghouse. No wonder with the exhaust right under the floor there.

I recently added two sound/heat damping products from Dynamat. One was a dense rubber with foil cover and the other is a foam rubber with a foil cover. After applying those products inside the doghouse cover and the front floor areas we can have a nice normal conversation and my DW no longer complains about a hot floor or doghouse cover. Life is much better now. I can hear you now!!!

Bought both on Amazon.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 07:06 AM   #2
chs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Our Class C is built on a Ford E450 chassis with the V10 engine. As it came it both nosy in the cab, hard to carry on a conversation and hot around the passenger's side of the doghouse. No wonder with the exhaust right under the floor there.

I recently added two sound/heat damping products from Dynamat. One was a dense rubber with foil cover and the other is a foam rubber with a foil cover. After applying those products inside the doghouse cover and the front floor areas we can have a nice normal conversation and my DW no longer complains about a hot floor or doghouse cover. Life is much better now. I can hear you now!!!

Bought both on Amazon.
It would help if you put a link or at least the specific part number. There are dozens of different types of Dynamat products, some are not meant for the engine compartment.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:19 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
On our E450, I lined the engine cover with a heat pad and changed the exhaust header to Banks header pipes. This got the exhaust farther away from the floor. I also pulled the seats out, the carpet up and put a heat pad under the carpet. Much quieter and less heat.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs View Post
It would help if you put a link or at least the specific part number. There are dozens of different types of Dynamat products, some are not meant for the engine compartment.
Here are the Amazon links for the Dynamat products I used:
Foam product:
Dynamat 11905 Hoodliner 32" x 54" x 3/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener

Rubberized product:
Dynamat 10455 18" x 32" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Bulk Pack, (Set of 9), Black

If someone simply Googled "Dynamat foam" you would have gotten to the right place, not very hard. I generally prefer to let people do a little research and find the right product for their needs and not do exactly what I may have done. They might do it better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #5

Now do the doors.. you will be so much more surprised... those big doors are just empty bass boxes.. I did mine .. and if you get inside front fenders.. even more difference.. good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #6

OP, do you have a scanguage or something similar to monitor engine temp? I want to insulate the dog house but I’m concerned about the engine retaining more heat. I have an 08 E450 6.8.
Flyingsquirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #7

We have a Class C on the E-350 chassis and have done similar research on quieting the ride and reducing the heat, and I have no problem sharing information. My current installation is Reflectix with a 1/8" felt mat and rubber flooring for ease of cleaning. Although better than stock, the floor still gets quite warm. Initially, I thought I would pull up the Reflectix and cover the entire floor with Dynamat and additional heat-reflective padding.

I found Quiet Ride, a company that custom-cuts heat shielding and sound deadening kits for hot rods, cars, and trucks, during my research. Their philosophy is not to cover the entire floor with Dynamat but to strategically place strips of the Dynamat to reduce the resonant frequencies and then add heat absorber/barrier panels. Dynamat is heavy and expensive so reducing the amount installed is beneficial. They have kits specifically for the E-series RV cut away. The kits are not cheap, but I plan to use their product when I reinsulate/sound deaden the floor, dog house, and doors. They also have a YouTube channel, QuietRideSolutions, that demonstrates and installation and discusses the philosophy and history of company.
LarryV18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:49 AM   #8

As far as E350/E450 floor heat is concerned, in our E450 Class C motorhome we just switch the cab air venting knob to the position where the outlets down low by our feet are opened and then turn on the A/C on just cold enough to keep our feet cool.

This works in all outside air temperature conditions - summer or winter - it just depends on what you set the A/C temperature at, and how high you set the fan speed.

I works like a champ ... and maybe how Ford indended that passengers keep the cab floor cool.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #9

I purchased roll on heat/sound insulation and put in doors and floor. I was surprised to find there is zero factory insulation in the doors btw...It made a big difference! it's not as quiet as a modern sedan but I can carry a conversation and listen to music with out cranking it. I would also suggest upgrading your door speakers since you will have easy access with the door trim off.
aeguy010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:00 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used a foil/wool insulation for under side and some foil/bubble product..

The most noise I have gotten was from Air Cleaner intake as previous owner had an aftermkt performance kit,, I replaced with OEM stuff and a KN Filter,, no change in fuel mpg . much more quiet....

My winnebago had thick jute under rug and good thick rug.. Heat is not very bad..

I also have did alot of work to cooling system dropping running temps 10-15 degrees and 20-30 degrees less at WOT big climbs,,

Exhaust heat is what it is..

Wife no longer complains and my right foot is not on fire... also when we pull in and park, the resudual heat is way less
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
I have used a foil/wool insulation for under side and some foil/bubble product..

The most noise I have gotten was from Air Cleaner intake as previous owner had an aftermkt performance kit,, I replaced with OEM stuff and a KN Filter,, no change in fuel mpg . much more quiet....

My winnebago had thick jute under rug and good thick rug.. Heat is not very bad..

I also have did alot of work to cooling system dropping running temps 10-15 degrees and 20-30 degrees less at WOT big climbs,,

Exhaust heat is what it is..

Wife no longer complains and my right foot is not on fire... also when we pull in and park, the resudual heat is way less
Regarding residual heat - when we pull into a camping spot after traveling in warm weather in our E450 Class C, I open the hood for a few hours to help exhaust engine heat much faster so as to reduce heat coming into the interior.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:03 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Regarding residual heat - when we pull into a camping spot after traveling in warm weather in our E450 Class C, I open the hood for a few hours to help exhaust engine heat much faster so as to reduce heat coming into the interior.
Good tip. Thx for posting.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:15 PM   #13

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-14620?rrec=true

This is what I used on the floor and dog house. Pull the seats and rubber floor covering out. Put it from the firewall to the end of the cab. Made the passenger floor cool enough to go bare foot. Engine sound is less. 5Star tune also made the transmission not shift so much. The insulation also made the generator quieter, it’s right behind the drivers seat. Bought a one piece carpeted floor mat that covers all the cab floor. Much nicer feel than the rubber floor.

It’s way better heat and sound wise now. I guess the doors are next and that should do it.
SergioP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:23 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioP View Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-14620?rrec=true

This is what I used on the floor and dog house. Pull the seats and rubber floor covering out. Put it from the firewall to the end of the cab. Made the passenger floor cool enough to go bare foot. Engine sound is less. 5Star tune also made the transmission not shift so much. The insulation also made the generator quieter, it’s right behind the drivers seat. Bought a one piece carpeted floor mat that covers all the cab floor. Much nicer feel than the rubber floor.

It’s way better heat and sound wise now. I guess the doors are next and that should do it.
Where did you purchase the one piece carpeted floor? The wife would like to have carpet.

We have a 2022 built on a 2021 E450 and do not have any heat issues and the engine was quite compared to the V10 but we added Kills to the floor and that reduced the noise even more. It appears Ford solved the heat issue on the V8. We never feel heat from the doghouse or the floor and the dash air will make the cab so cold we have to turn it way down. Have been driving in 90 degree plus weather and the cab would be 65 degrees. I have a digital thermometer that reads inside and outside temps mounted where I can see it as I drive.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, engine, noise, rvs