Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 11:16 PM   #1

Tank Heaters: Installed but can't find the pwr switch

I am the second owner of a 2004 31' Fleetwood Tioga, and I'm embarrassed to say that I have owned it since 2008 and didn't know it had tank heaters until 2 weeks ago. We typically don't use it during cold weather so I didn't think about it until recently.
While doing a complete review of the 12vdc system the fuse panel has a 15amp fuse installed and identified as 'Tank Heaters'. While in a state of total surprise I went and looked at the parts list on the purchase/mfg listing and sure enough, there it lists Tank Heaters.
I have no idea where the on/off switches are for them so I'm reaching out to anyone how might know where I can find them.
In the meantime, I'll try and run the wires and see if the power switches show up someplace.
Thanks in advance.
JohnG
jcag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2021, 06:59 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Cool

My tank heater switches are in the bathroom cabinet. Maybe yours are too? Or in the control panel ? Good luck
Insane938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:53 PM   #3

Like Insane938, our 2007 Phoenix Cruiser has the tank heater switch in the bathroom. The words "Tank Heater" are hot stamped in gold lettering on the white escutcheon plate seen just under the shelf.

You can see the switch on the wall in this picture.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have, of course, looked at all the obvious locations well before I decided to post. I even looked in the space underneath the sink and inside and around the under side storage of the bed. I know it has to be inside the rig so this weekend I plan on ringing out the wiring. Was hoping I didn't have to do that.
I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:22 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jpollard62
jcag.....Any update on locating switch??
jpollard62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:03 PM   #6

Update
Tomorrow I plan on calling REV and ask them as they are the last chance I have before I tear into it and do a full visual inspection. I'll let you know how it goes.
jcag
Old 12-20-2021, 02:52 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to jpollard62
Tank Heaters

Traced mine out and they were never connected to the panel switch. The wires were ran to the back of the control panel but the wires still had factory crimps on them with no connections to the switch...I connected everything up and they work....I had requested info from Forrest River but they weren't any help in determining fuse layout or wiring diagrams. Had to trace everything myself....
jpollard62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:42 PM   #8

Looks like incomplete assembly

jpollard62
Your feedback is exactly what I have discovered. Earlier today I received a response from REV where I was told that there is a good possibility the switch was never installed but that everything else is there.

Sure enough, I took the control panel off and staring me in the face was pig tail with the correct colored wires. I am waiting for a switch to show up and I'll test it.

I also was provided a electrical schematic with an assembly configuration page and was able to authenticate the wiring. I offer them as a thanks for everyone's help.

Update to follow.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Holding_Tank_Heater.pdf (66.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-21-2021, 03:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcag View Post
jpollard62
Earlier today I received a response from REV where I was told that there is a good possibility the switch was never installed but that everything else is there.

Sure enough, I took the control panel off and staring me in the face was pig tail with the correct colored wires. I am waiting for a switch to show up and I'll test it.
Do I understand you correctly? The original manufacture installed tank heaters and wiring to the control panel, but did not install the switch to control them?
Old 12-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #10

I believe most mfg have one wiring harness scheme. On my previous chinook( at the time the BEST B+ made) there was no switch over the driver to crank the gen while going down the road. My switch plate had a blank space that more expensive models had the switch. Removing the plate showed the wires present. A quick Dremel cut and a new momentary switch and good to go.
tarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:17 AM   #11

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying..
Old 12-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollard62 View Post
Traced mine out and they were never connected to the panel switch. The wires were ran to the back of the control panel but the wires still had factory crimps on them with no connections to the switch...I connected everything up and they work....I had requested info from Forrest River but they weren't any help in determining fuse layout or wiring diagrams. Had to trace everything myself....
Can you tell me if your original manufacturing list has Tank Heaters listed on it please? And some of the assemblies also had an elbow and pipe wrap heater as well. They 'might' be listed on the listing as well. It is my belief the mfg bundled all of it into a single listing on the mfg sheet called Tank Heaters.

Mine has one listing called Tank Heaters.

Tags
heat, heater, install, led, switch, tank