Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Tarping roof of class c

I'm Interested in the opinions of experienced rv'ers on putting a tarp on the roof of a class c motor home. I'm new to this and have read and been told different opinions.
We live in Victoria, BC and we tend to get quite a bit of rain and strong winds during the winter.
I'm just wanting to do the roof not the entire unit.
We bought an '85 minni winnie to see if we will enjoy it.

Thank you in advance

Byron
byronap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #2

My only real question is are you planning on driving it like that? If not, over here in southeast Alaska where it's just as rainy and windy if not worse, it's a commonly accepted fix. Lots of folks around here have tarps on their houses, trailers, and rvs. Figure where your wind direction and bungee that down and securely tie the rest down.
AKwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, and no not planning on driving it like that.

Byron
Old 11-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We also have a 1985 Minnie Winnie and we live in Rochester NY - we tarp it every winter!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Byron & WELCOME!!

You picked a nice coach to start your new lifestyle with! That is one that I looked at, when I was hunting for a MH.

On my old TT I used a tarp, without issue, but moved to a cover when I realized that the shaded side was turning green. The cover was on sale and solved that issue. After that, when I uncovered the TT, it was the same color as when I covered it

Post photo's, when you can. We love looking at them.

Also take a look at the Vintage threads. Lot's of good information there!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #6

Thank you for your replies.
I posted pictures of the frame I made for the tarp and the MH tarped.
I made the frame out of white PVC. Nothing is glued so I can dismantle and store it easily.
I posted the pictures today under member galllery.
Byron
Old 11-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
This will be the first winter for us with a recently acquired Class C. I used a tarp on our old pop-up for many years without any problems, so I'm going to give it a shot on the Class C. The tarp is secure, but i think it still has enough "air gap" along the sides to keep from having any mold problems. I guess I'll know for sure come spring.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NICE FRAME! What a great idea

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #9

I forgot to mention that I put tennis balls between the tarp and the MH wherever I have a bungy cord attached at a crommet. The idea was to keep the bungy cord hook from rubbing on the MH and to alow alittle more air to circulate.

Byron

Tags
roof