Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #1

Thanks All for the Great Advice - Now Goodbye

I wanted to say thanks all for this wonderful forum and for all the great postings. I have been reading it religiously for months for advice on purchasing a brand new rig. You have all taught me well! I have decided that there is no way am I going to drop $150k on a motor home to have it exhibit many manufacturing defects and find that dealers lack the ability to service the rig timely and the customer service provided by the manufacturers lacking. I didn't intend to do much boondocking so finding RV parks for spur of the moment trips seemed a pipe dream. My wife and I intended to visit every baseball park in the US to enjoy the game, a beer and a hot dog. Well, based on what I've been reading, I've decided to spend the $ on a new Porsche and use the SAVINGS for hotels. We're still going to visit the ball parks, the national parks, beaches, etc. but this way, we'll enjoy the ride and not worry about our new car sitting in a dealer for months. Thanks again so much. Stay safe. See you on the road.
Born2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #2

Enjoy the games!!!
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #3

May the Porsche be with you.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:33 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Sorry to see you give up .. Just keep an eye out for these buggers when using public accommodations ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191126_220330.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	284538  
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Sorry to see you give up .. Just keep an eye out for these buggers when using public accommodations ..
That's exactly the reason why "we RV".
After a while the cost of the hazmat suits offsets the savings on the hotels/motels.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #6

Good luck on you new adventure. Yep, a hotel won't leave you stranded without cell service in the middle of no-where. You're Porsche may, but you'll have a heck of a lot more fun on the twisties than in a big box on wheels.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:58 PM   #7

RV lifestyle and ownership is not meant for everybody. I like camping but I would not spend a dime on going to a sports game. For me a motorcycle out "funs" a porsche any day.

Different strokes for different folks!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #8

RVing ain't for everyone!
You are way ahead acknowledging it up front than finding it out later.
Have a blast doing what you enjoy... what more can any of us ask for?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:51 AM   #9

Thank you all for the well wishes. I'd be lying to you if I didn't say I was a bit envious of all of you. My dream has always been to purchase a motor home and tour the US. I had looked forward to it in my retirement years. I look up from my car longingly at you driving along with those beautiful rigs heading for your next destination. I pass you cautiously and look up into the cab to see whose driving and your mate sitting in the passenger seat and wonder what it would be like - NO, not your mate, I wonder about driving the rig. I wondered what it would be like to sit out on the side of the rig, under the stars, with new friends and the ball game playing on the TV while we sat around and spoke of glory days. My dream was the Winnebago/ Navion 24D, which would have been perfect for my wife and I for the purposes we intended. (And I looked forward to that very first trip breaking it in...yes, that way too, if you know what I mean. I even read about how thin the walls might be and how sounds inside the rig could be heard outside, especially in a quiet RV park. Devil's in the detail, right?) However, after reading this forum and the Navion Facebook page I just couldn't bear to have the issues that seems to be the case with all new units. I might rent a unit just to see what I am missing. Anyway....stay safe. I'll see you on the road.
Born2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:08 PM   #10

I'm not sure how much RV research you did ... but you might have missed these superb models:
https://www.coachhouserv.com/
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:13 AM   #11

Born2Run,

Living in Chicago as a kid, for many years my parents took the family of 6 in our 1967 Plymouth Fury towing a small pop-up camper, out west to all the national parks during the month of August thru Labor Day weekend. Cramped full of people and stuff, I would see the occasional Winnebago Brave and made a promise to myself to own one some day.

I never did own a Brave. I married at age 20. We started a family at age 25. Three months after our first born, we bought THIS MOTORHOME and owned it for 24 years. At age 50, we replaced it with THIS MOTORHOME and plan to own it until we are too old and dangerous to drive it.

Buying "The Right" motorhome that is robust and meets your need is what it's all about. Indoor storage also helps immensely in keeping our rigs so long. It is an adventure that my wife and I find priceless. I understand your decision, but respectfully disagree with it.

We never work with reservations because a schedule ruins the experience. This places us in secondary campgrounds, close enough to what we came to see and experience. Our rig works well facilitating us comfortably while staying in places with limited facilities. We do spend many nights in-between destinations in Walmart parking lots and an occasional rest area. We sleep well in such places, and doing so also lowers our trip costs.

In our later years, we have also been doing a little overseas travel to other countries in Europe, Israel (the Holy Land) and Egypt (ancient pyramids & temples). We obviously live out of luggage and hotels then, a firm reminder why we love our vacations in the United States in our motorhome.
Ron Dittmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Born2Run,

Living in Chicago as a kid, for many years my parents took the family of 6 in our 1967 Plymouth Fury towing a small pop-up camper, out west to all the national parks during the month of August thru Labor Day weekend. Cramped full of people and stuff, I would see the occasional Winnebago Brave and made a promise to myself to own one some day.

I never did own a Brave. I married at age 20. We started a family at age 25. Three months after our first born, we bought THIS MOTORHOME and owned it for 24 years. At age 50, we replaced it with THIS MOTORHOME and plan to own it until we are too old and dangerous to drive it.

Buying "The Right" motorhome that is robust and meets your need is what it's all about. Indoor storage also helps immensely in keeping our rigs so long. It is an adventure that my wife and I find priceless. I understand your decision, but respectfully disagree with it.

We never work with reservations because a schedule ruins the experience. This places us in secondary campgrounds, close enough to what we came to see and experience. Our rig works well facilitating us comfortably while staying in places with limited facilities. We do spend many nights in-between destinations in Walmart parking lots and an occasional rest area. We sleep well in such places, and doing so also lowers our trip costs.

In our later years, we have also been doing a little overseas travel to other countries in Europe, Israel (the Holy Land) and Egypt (ancient pyramids & temples). We obviously live out of luggage and hotels then, a firm reminder why we love our vacations in the United States in our motorhome.
Ron ... very nice comments from you above!

I think I completely understand Born2Run's final decision, based on what I think their travel life-style probably is.

For what it's worth, I completely understand the Porsche bit as I was asked to keep the carbon blown out on a friend of mine's Porsche while he was gone away on the road as as a salesman. By exercising extreme restraint, I managed to take good care of it by watching how high the tachometer went.

However, a Porsche should never be taken to some of the beautuful and pristine places in the U.S. where our small Itasca motorhome has taken us in complete comfort. I have backpack camped, car camped, truck camped, van camped, and done the motel/hotel thing ... and none have come close to the complete joy from our RV wonderings on this great country's back roads and byways.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #13

It's a lot of fun to own a coach. It's also not a hassle-free experience. As others have said, it's not for everyone, and that's perfectly OK. Lots of things are not for everyone. I have skydiving friends. None of them will come diving with me, and I see no sense in jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:37 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just wondering what the quality of the large Sprinter and MB van conversions is like. Much smaller but could beat a hotel.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice