RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2020, 07:47 PM   #15

I have seen you post a lot on class C's lately but see you own a Prevost, are you thinking of changing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #16

Hi Unicorn Driver, My plan was to buy a TT for my kids use. They have trucks and thought that would be a good choice. Then we realized their trucks would not pull the TT.

That led me to a Class C because of the Ford 450 with airbags etc and the number you can sleep. I’ve seen too many wrecks with class A’s and a front end collision is a disaster. The Class C is safer. So I’m looking for a Class C that will sleep 6 that will do a good job of protecting my family. And I keep the Prevost!
WyoFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi Unicorn Driver, My plan was to buy a TT for my kids use. They have trucks and thought that would be a good choice. Then we realized their trucks would not pull the TT.

That led me to a Class C because of the Ford 450 with airbags etc and the number you can sleep. Iíve seen too many wrecks with class Aís and a front end collision is a disaster. The Class C is safer. So Iím looking for a Class C that will sleep 6 that will do a good job of protecting my family. And I keep the Prevost.
Gotcha Wyofree, best of luck with your search.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrip View Post
I like your driver , passenger seats, what brand are those?
The seats were supplied by Paul's Seating in Elkhart, IN. Our seat is still offered. I advise to get the manual lumbar support feature. It is a simple mechanical adjustment dial. I would also get the top grain leather option. Since the Great Recession, the RV industry has had issues with vinyl imported from China. Surfaces that make human contact is flaking off. Our rig was made "pre-recession" with no issues.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #19

It is interesting how different everyone's opinions are on this. Like Phil G, I want simplicity and reliability. I very much like that my Class C has no slides, and think it did a good job with the available space. The things I really wish it had in this size--

1. Bigger tankage. My tanks are a real hindrance on boondocking.
2. Enclosed/heated wet bay
3. Domed roof with seam below the roofline, like on Ron D's Phoenix cruiser.
4. Air suspension on the rear (not air helper springs, but full-on air suspension)
5. SelectShift transmission
6. Lower-floor shower (mine has like a 10" step-down to get out of the shower)

If it were in the 32' length that we're discussing here, my perfect unit would still have no slides, but would have a lengthwise walkaround bed, and a larger bathroom. And the vast majority of the extra length would be added between the axles--I love our comparatively short rear overhang. If it had those things and the larger tankage discussed above, I legitimately think my wife and I could full-time out of it for a few years. As it is, we'll have to upgrade this unit before we retire (hopefully 5 years or so).
Old 10-05-2020, 04:05 PM   #20

I Ron, I liked the PT Boozer very much but it has 6í4Ē interior height. Iím 6í3Ē and have kids 6í5Ē who call me shorty. Yes, Iíve never liked them. Thatís why I was saying in my initial post that no ceiling should be less than 6í8Ē.

And whatís going on with these dinettes? A friend of mine in Florida said his boy was going to sit down in the dinette but couldnít because of a cockroach sitting there. He wasnít concerned about sitting with the cockroach, it just took up too much room! Why build a dinette for four if it hardly holds two!

Iím awaiting the new re-do of the Concord 300DS. They are being fully redesigned for 2022. Should know more about them in December and be out in spring of next year. I hope they keep the good stuff they have now with the U-Shaped Dinette, large kitchen area etc. we shall see. Iíd like to see the Concord go to the full 100Ē in width and 7í ceiling height. Oh and a few inches added to the width of the toilet area with a window. Hey why not just build it as mentioned in my opening? A man can dream right?
Old 10-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #21

Quote:
I Ron, I liked the PT Boozer very much but it has 6’4” interior height. I’m 6’3” and have kids 6’5” who call me shorty. Yes, I’ve never liked them. That’s why I was saying in my initial post that no ceiling should be less than 6’8”.

And what’s going on with these dinettes? A friend of mine in Florida said his boy was going to sit down in the dinette but couldn’t because of a cockroach sitting there. He wasn’t concerned about sitting with the cockroach, it just took up too much room! Why build a dinette for four if it hardly holds two!
I surely understand that tall people need more ceiling height. Our rig is not for your height. But there are many rigs of other brands with similar construction methods that are taller.

As for the dinette....I agree with you in a big way. Our dinette SEEN HERE works, but would work even better with another foot between benches. Our rig can be made one foot longer which people utilize for a variety of reasons. I would invest 100% of that foot into more dinette leg room and longer dinette table.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #22

And Ron that is exactly what this thread is about and I thank you for being a part of it. NOT to tell things we DON’T LIKE. Things that COULD be changed to make our trip experience better. Or as my granddaughter would say “More Gooder”! Ya know she’s 15 now and should really stop talking that way. Got to go now, it’s biscghetti night.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
It is interesting how different everyone's opinions are on this. Like Phil G, I want simplicity and reliability. I very much like that my Class C has no slides, and think it did a good job with the available space. The things I really wish it had in this size--

1. Bigger tankage. My tanks are a real hindrance on boondocking.
2. Enclosed/heated wet bay
3. Domed roof with seam below the roofline, like on Ron D's Phoenix cruiser.
6. Lower-floor shower (mine has like a 10" step-down to get out of the shower)

If it were in the 32' length that we're discussing here, my perfect unit would still have no slides, but would have a lengthwise walkaround bed, and a larger bathroom. And the vast majority of the extra length would be added between the axles--I love our comparatively short rear overhang. If it had those things and the larger tankage discussed above, I legitimately think my wife and I could full-time out of it for a few years. As it is, we'll have to upgrade this unit before we retire (hopefully 5 years or so).
I edit the quote for me.. LOL

Have a 30ft Minnie of old.. Has a typical Dinette set up.. But a front entertainment instead of bunk.. stretch the middle another 2ft or 18".. Yep happier.. Larger bathroom, I am not tall but stout or as my doc just told me square.. urgh..

I have seen layouts from my RV time period and according to production info from a nice guy at Winnebago, Mine was popular and the one layout that is basically Dinette DELETE with some of todays recliners and flip up /down tables... Nirvana... Me, wife and 2 siberian huskys can navigate and not all have top rotate at once..

Food prep and kitchen area we like,,

I kick myself since I had Dinette and sofa bed OUT to redo the floor .. and I just put it back, since we did more with a few people visiting on Saturday nites when on our travels.. now we changed our travels and such to be more of Just us..

so my unit would based on different needs... can care less about sitting at dinette to eat or talk..

Rons unti has a nice layout for his needs and is very nice.. with my two dogs, that would work even with dinette LOL.. Wife does like an open room bed area, she hates boxed in .. AGAIN each one of has likes,,
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #24

In my original post I said this;

"1. Salon: This is a picture of the Concord 300DS salon. It has a 45 x 76 U-shaped dinette (love that) but we need a 40Ē TV on a televator directly across from the couch on the huge kitchen counter."

As I have continued to scope out the tuna's, I believe I have found an even better place for the 40" TV than a televator. I know what your thinking "Wyo, you were wrong on your first post, surely not"! Yes I fear perhaps I was and don't call me Shirley! (I know, old joke but I couldn't resist.)

I have shown below what I think is the way to have it done. Put it up on a cabinet as shown on the picture below of the Forester 3011DS. If the TV is on a televator it's blocking the window. Putting it up above as shown below the window is totally open. And you still have cabinet storage behind the TV.

What do you guys think? It's directly across from the couch, can be seen by the two swivel seats and the dinette and is completely out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forester 3011DS Salon.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	303988  
Old 10-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #25

The Perfect Class C at 32.6 feet... WoW!

Quote:
In my original post I said this;

"1. Salon: This is a picture of the Concord 300DS salon. It has a 45 x 76 U-shaped dinette (love that) but we need a 40Ē TV on a televator directly across from the couch on the huge kitchen counter."

As I have continued to scope out the tuna's, I believe I have found an even better place for the 40" TV than a televator. I know what your thinking "Wyo, you were wrong on your first post, surely not"! Yes I fear perhaps I was and don't call me Shirley! (I know, old joke but I couldn't resist.)

I have shown below what I think is the way to have it done. Put it up on a cabinet as shown on the picture below of the Forester 3011DS. If the TV is on a televator it's blocking the window. Putting it up above as shown below the window is totally open. And you still have cabinet storage behind the TV.

What do you guys think? It's directly across from the couch, can be seen by the two swivel seats and the dinette and is completely out of the way.

The TV location will be one of the factors we will consider when choosing our next RV. We donít like the over the cab location that requires that you view the TV by looking sideways.
The extra counter space is a bonus also.
We are definitely considering the Forester or Sunseeker.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #26

I think thatís absolutely right Funengineer, Watching something on an angle like that makes no sense. The manufacturers make things because they have a space to fill and not for the consideration of the user.

Thatís maybe a little too strong but weíve all seen things that you know was the idea of a crazy person.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Watching (TV) on an angle like that makes no sense.
My feelings exactly.

We own a Phoenix Cruiser. The most popular models have a couch inside a slide-out. That means the TV is straight left. Being inside a slide-out, the person sitting on the couch closest to the TV, can't watch TV unless they position themself unnaturally. I never understood the attraction to that arrangement.

Our PC model 2350 would have the same condition except that we special ordered our rig without a slide-out, and replacing the couch with a dinette. The wall space increases immensely to accommodate a dinette adequately.

So one person faces the TV sitting on the dinette, the other person sits on the captains seat on the opposite wall.

Having a good functional motor home is not solely measured on the ability to watch TV comfortably. But like you say, the TV is "just there" on many rigs, leaving people to be creative and often uncomfortable to watch it.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #28

We have a 24 ft. Class C, but with a queen bed above the cab instead of an entertainment center. We also have a lounge chair and dinette arrangement similar to what Ron shows in his photos above.

For us the perfect place for a permanently mounted TV screen would be on the refrigerator cabinet wall right behind the left side dinette seat - mounted right flat up against the cabinet wall (or on a collapsible arm on the cabinet wall) such that the left side dinette seat could still be used without bumping one's head against the screen when not watching TV.

In that spot, the TV screen could be comfortably watched from the right side dinette seat, the lounge chair ... and also from an overhead cab queen bed.

However IMHO, the "ultimate" TV arrangement is how our friends do it and how we do it: Our friends have a "loose TV" on a stand and they just place it wherever they want to watch TV. We "watch TV" on my 15 inch laptop by just placing it wherever we want. We don't watch over-the-air TV or cable TV ... we stream Internet channels, watch movies we have stored on flash drive sticks, and watch DVD movies by plugging a DVD player into the laptop's USB port.

By the way, the experts in the various home theater forums state that the most comfortable way to watch a screen is to have the screen at about eye level with one's head not having to be tipped back to look up. Other than for watching while laying in bed in the rear area of a coach, using a screen that is portable/movable means that it could be temporarily placed in spots such as the dinette table or the kitchen counter - depending upon seating arrangements and most comfortable head/neck angles.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c