RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 184
Itís similar to a doughnut hole.

This is the core of the hole I drilled out of the side of our Flagstaff when I installed an exterior plug for a separate 120v circuit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4575.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	308294
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4579.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	308295
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2020, 10:37 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Other California
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Attachment 308238
Here’s what a closeup of what the Azdel looks like from our 2019 Forest River Flagstaff.
Interior on the left, exterior on the right.
Hmmm ... what is it that's special about Azdel walls?

The walls of my Winnebago certainly "look" like they're built that same sandwich way (thermally bonded white cellular foam stuff in between two other inside/outside flat materials). I'm not sure about the outside wall material being used in Azdel walls. Winnebago uses fiberglass in the outside material of the sandwich.

I guess I kindof assumed that all/most RV coach walls were made the same way. What other ways are they made?
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:55 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
gljurczyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 373
The Perfect Class C at 32.6 feet... WoW!

If your unit is a micro light I think FR used Azdel wall in them
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: OKC
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekp View Post
For those that are concerned with TV position -- I've seen several units that have the dinette w/ large window (and associated blackout window shade) right across from the sofa, such as the Greyhawk / Esteem 27U and 31F models. And they have cabinets above the sofa.


Perfect spot to mount a projector TV aimed at the window shade on the opposite wall?
I've always been curious about this. Anyone tried it? I'm too lazy to run an HDMI cable to the other wall, otherwise I think I'd try this.
__________________
2018 Minnie Winnie 25B
E450
DirtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Hmmm ... what is it that's special about Azdel walls?

The walls of my Winnebago certainly "look" like they're built that same sandwich way (thermally bonded white cellular foam stuff in between two other inside/outside flat materials). I'm not sure about the outside wall material being used in Azdel walls. Winnebago uses fiberglass in the outside material of the sandwich.

I guess I kindof assumed that all/most RV coach walls were made the same way. What other ways are they made?

From their website.

ďAzdel is a composite panel used by top travel trailer manufacturers as an alternative to Luan or other plywoods. Azdel composite panels are resistant to rot, lighter than wood, and provide better insulation among other things.Ē

So no plywood panel beneath the exterior fiberglass. This is supposed to protect from water infiltration causing delamination of the external skin.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
WyoFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,399
I look at the way jayco/Entegra builds their sidewalls (no Azdel) and I wonder about 10 years down the road. I know what Azdel will look like. Can we expect the same from the others?

I know weíve wondered off course from my original post. But it is a curiosity is it not?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
But it is a curiosity is it not?
Yes it is and it is something that is at the top of our list as we research our next RV.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #78
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
So no plywood panel beneath the exterior fiberglass. This is supposed to protect from water infiltration causing delamination of the external skin.
It protects only from delamination. Water may still get into the walls and cause all sorts of other havoc. It just wouldn't be quite as obvious by looking at the outside skin.
__________________
On Order: 2021 Thor Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500
atreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:30 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
mikeh2obury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 384
Coachmen Concord 300DS
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
gljurczyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 373
The Perfect Class C at 32.6 feet... WoW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
It protects only from delamination. Water may still get into the walls and cause all sorts of other havoc. It just wouldn't be quite as obvious by looking at the outside skin.

Well no matter itís a great product the best on the market, no where does it say that you can stop sealing penetrations such as windows, not very likely to happen. Iíll take that construction any day. Itís not hiding anything. As I stated earlier there is a raw wall board that they made into there sign with printing on it saying Coachmen in weather 24/7 , it shows nothing inside or outside, no tricks.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
WyoFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,399
I don't believe there's any conversation to be had about the quality and longevity of Azdel. It's like a werwolf... Everybody knows there's a werwolf and you can't see it in a mirror! Unlike Dracula who can be killed with a silver bullet!
__________________
Prevost Beaver Bus 40' Le Mirage XL
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #82
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Well no matter itís a great product the best on the market, no where does it say that you can stop sealing penetrations such as windows, not very likely to happen. Iíll take that construction any day. Itís not hiding anything. As I stated earlier there is a raw wall board that they made into there sign with printing on it saying Coachmen in weather 24/7 , it shows nothing inside or outside, no tricks.
Azdel is good stuff. No argument there, and I've never said otherwise.

It won't protect you from OTHER damage caused by leaks though. It only keeps the skin from being damaged.
__________________
On Order: 2021 Thor Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500
atreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:01 AM   #83
Senior Member
 
gljurczyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Azdel is good stuff. No argument there, and I've never said otherwise.

It won't protect you from OTHER damage caused by leaks though. It only keeps the skin from being damaged.

I think I just said that, nobody ever claimed that other water canít intrude with it.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #84
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I think I just said that, nobody ever claimed that other water canít intrude with it.
Point being: If you have a leak, you have a problem whether you have Azdel or not. If you don't have a leak, then you're not likely to have delamination, whether or not you have Azdel. The best course of action is to take steps to not have a leak and not worry as much about the wall material. Getting Azdel is great, all else being equal, but IMO not a deciding factor.
__________________
On Order: 2021 Thor Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500
atreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
class c



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jayco Jay Flight 33 feet v Puma xle 33 feet kathieb Jayco Owner's Forum 1 06-15-2017 01:37 PM
Perfect date, perfect woman taylorgso RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories 6 08-11-2015 10:17 AM
My idea of a perfect Perfect class A (does anyone even make one) Gerryl Class A Motorhome Discussions 25 10-07-2014 09:58 PM
Ever Dry... wow, just wow SylviaCub Vintage RV's 5 04-16-2013 12:18 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.