Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post

[edited for brevity]

...THOR XG32 MAGNITUDE/OMNI 4x4 diesel...test drive, very smooth, very quiet and powerful...in the wilderness...we also plan on changing...the toilet to a AIRHEAD composting toilet and combining [holding tanks]...a good size for full time, for us its not to small or to big, and has a good turn radius
Thank you for mentioning that type rig.
Shiny!

A couple-three potential issues I see:
* height -- tree limbs could impact the front
* width -- branches and bushes might impact the sides (the 'pin-stripe' rite-of-passage on veteran overlanders).

I found a Thor Omni 4x4 sales-pitch video on YouTube.
Shiny!
The spokes-model was enthusiastic about the exclusive decal 'offerings' available only through his dealership.
Shiny!
Sure... fine.
It's all good.

2003, after refining our Requirements Statement, we converted a 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.

We chose this chassis for several reasons:
* ground-clearance -- we have sixteen inches before anything hits anything
* short wheel-base for quick turns
* height -- at less than eleven feet, we can usually dodge limbs
* width -- at seven feet, we minimize rite-of-passage 'pin-stripes' of our wider travel companions
* our interior is three paces across by seven paces long
This size works for us because we are outside most of the time.

On a factory RecreationVehicle such as your Thor, I would commit devout attention to the manufacturer GVWR.
Based solely on the first minute of the video (I quit at .58), I think its proclaimed ability to boondock more than a few days is... shall we say... unrealistic.

For our fresh water, we use retired five-gallon Pepsi© kegs.
This modular system offers:
* ability to add/subtract capacity depending on our agenda -- Do we need ten, do we need thirty?
* ability to isolate contamination
* ability to detach a keg or three to fill without moving the rig
* ability to detach a keg to carry to an outside camp-kitchen

For propane, we carry standard five-gallon bottles.
Similar to our water kegs, we can detach one from the rig to juice a camp-kitchen... or fill one or three at a propane station.

After nearly two decades full-time live-aboard in this version of our ExpeditionVehicle concept, we are constantly evolving.
We grow and learn, our needs change.
My suggestion:
* avoid thinking 'this rig is our forever rig'.

Is the Thor 4x4 available for rent to test *your family* doing the *activities you prefer*?
This eval is one step in your PoC (Proof of Concept).

One point on 4x4 (or 6x6!)...
After nearly two decades full-time live-aboard on remote forest tracks and isolated Baja beaches, we needed more than our rear-drive exactly... wait for it... TWICE:
* once was a blizzard around the Shasta volcano in north California,
* the second was a swamp in El Salvador.
Rear-wheel drive eliminates the weight and complexity of 4x4 (or 6x6!), and shortens turns.
We chose this particular 1997 Ford CF8000 4x2 because it has a factory air-locker in the drive-axle.

re:
4x4
During our escapades around Baja, we often see converted Euro-military 4x4 (and 6x6!) rigs, but they rarely go off-road.
If they stick the thing, they need the local military to drag it back to pavement.

I welcome your advice and suggestions for improvement!
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2021, 04:04 PM   #44

re:
black-water grinder aka 'macerator'

On a much earlier RecreationVehicle, my friend had a factory macerator between the factory holding-tanks and the factory sewage outlet.

My friend fabricated an adapter to fit a garden-hose on the dump outlet.
Hook the hose, flip the switch.
My friend's sewage went down any convenient gopher-hole.

But that was long ago and far away.
Nobody would think of doing that in 2021...
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndot56 View Post
Given the above, we chose a slideless 24 foot Class C ... on an E450 chassis that was over-kill from an overall RV weight perspective ... but offered better gearing, better brakes, a stronger frame, a larger driveshaft, and a high CCC. This is what we wound up with in a compact Ford E450 based Class C:

In summary, for the best boondocking - go small as possible and go fully loaded.
What brand and model Class C did you get? We are shopping for an RV and rented one Class C. Good post with useful information.[/QUOTE]

We bought a new 24 ft. 2005 Itasca Spirit 24V (built by Winnebago) in 2006. It had sat at the dealer for around a year.

I'm not sure, but it may have been because it didn't have any slides - not sure - just guessing on that. We didn't want slides and wanted a small Class C built on the heavier duty E450 chassis for maximum durability during occasional off-highway exploring and camping.

We've taken it such places as ... ~25 miles each way remote camping in the Oregon Outback, and ... remote camping off a rough 4X4 road in Death Valley.

Here's us camping in another place:

Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:25 AM   #46

Just keep in mind your Cargo Carrying Capacity should be your top priority. It’s never pointed out by a salesman and you hardly ever hear it mentioned on YouTube reviews, (except for Matt’s RV reviews, kudos for him doing that!), you have to read it carefully and calculate the bottom line. Mine gives you the weight of the CCC without water, without full black and great tanks, but with full fuel and LP.

I also realized that on a class C, as soon as you add a 2nd slide you loose an average of 1,000 lbs. we have 1 slide and 2,943 lbs without water. We are very close to our max on rear axles, with plenty of extra on the front.

My wife and I are always shopping for our fourth coach, I’ve drilled CCC it into her so well that when she mentions to me a make and model, she always spits out the CCC first! Cause most women like to bring a lot of stuff! ;-)
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:52 AM   #47

We have a Coachman Prism 2150, which is actually 25', one large slide out. We added solar. Interior and exterior storage is SO much you have to be careful to not over load.

50 gal Water
28 gal gray
28 gal black
6 gal hot water
20 gal/85 lb propane
SkiSki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock