Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2021, 05:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Here's a good article on composting toilets and states where they can be used.

https://www.hunker.com/13417656/stat...osting-toilets

Just because you're boondocking on public lands doesn't mean you can dispose of the contents. Sure, you can 'hide' what you're doing but that doesn't make it OK.
most of that link is for permanent installation in homes. its a little misleading to-boot, for example it says NY has restrictions on composting toilets, I live in NY, i don't know of any restrictions, and the lake my cabin is on encourages composting toilets?

im not going to worry about this subject any further.

all i'll say is, im very confident in our choice of Boondocking RV's, we will be able to spend many weeks boondocking comfortably
Jmac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #30

We have a 2006 Lazy Daze TK (twin king) class C which we boondock in ALL the time.

We put in 680 watts solar panels and 3-100Ah lithium batts. It comes with 55 gal. fresh, 29 gal. gray and 28gal. black.

The really nice thing about the Lazy Daze (besides build quality), is road height. Allows for a much better off-road experience... wish they came in 4WD!

Here's the spec sheet for the 2021 models... there's a two year wait list on 'em new. Buying used is tough but they can be found...

We've had 5 Airstreams from new to vintage and three MoHo's (Country Coach & Foretravel). The Lazy Daze, now that we've gone from full-timing to part-timing, is by far, our most useful RV.

http://www.lazydaze.com/FEATURES.PDF

Good luck in your search!
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:34 PM   #31

We have the 319mb model and have had no troubles yet.
Bowhunter49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:15 PM   #32

We’ve been RVing for 6 years, before that I was a tent camper, and my father had TT’s when I was a youngster. I now own a 2019 28’8” class C that we now spend 6 months out of the year in. It has 1 full wall slide, 2,900 CCC, it’s easy to drive, fits everywhere and we even do laundry in it with our mini washer/spin dryer!

My wife would not tent camp with me and the kids when they were younger. It took me a while to ease her in to just the idea of boondocking, we did a COE, and now she gets it. We’ve only gone 4 days with no sewere, conservatively. And I got her to do one night with no shore power just solar gen. We have 47 gal of fresh, 41 grey and 32 black. At the end of 4 days we are not empty or full. I’m still testing the waters with her. I’ve just purchased a portable 3,034KKWH solar gen with 300w of solar. I hope to stay out for at least 2 days without hookups, I think I could do 3. Boondocking is new to us but we now see the need for it with all the new rigs booking up sites.if I had my way I’d rather be in the middle of nowhere, by myself, but I’d need the proper rig.

My point is, just based on what I’ve learned so far, I could see a week boondocking with my setup, but that’s stretching it with the right conditions! I think others have expressed the best ways of conservation. Do what works for you, trial and error! Best way to learn, sometimes the hardest too!

Let us know what you buy and how you do with it.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krbjmpr View Post
Ever manufacturer shows brochures of their Class B,C,TT, and 5ers setup in middle of nowhere. They always fail to Put the disclaimer: Our models are multi-decade boondockers and have extensive experience and modifications. You won't last a weekend at Quartzite or even your own backyard.

I would not settle for anything less than diesel for engine though. And not a sprinter chassis. Find a e450 chassis powered by 6.4 diesel.
I strongly disagree with looking for an E450 with a 6.4 diesel engine. That was one of Ford's worst engines ever. I drove an F450 6.4 diesel for 9 years & spent many, many thousands of dollars trying to keep it on the road. Finally, after only 170,000 miles, a trusted local truck mechanic, that was fixing another problem, told me it was ready to give up the ghost. I spent over $15,000 & many years of constant frustration on just engine related repairs before finally admitting it was a lost cause. Blown turbos, fuel injecter sensor problems, Repeated broken manifold bolts from extreme pressures, & excessively worn pistons & scored piston walls. And I took excellent care of the truck with frequent oil changes & all required maintenance for towing situations. I now have a 2017 F350 with the 6.7 engine & it runs beautifully. I have not had to spend a single dollar on engine related repairs so far & have towed our 18K 5th wheel all over the country.
Look for a class C with the 6.7 diesel engine.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:35 PM   #34

I love my side loading garage on Thor Outlaw. And the slide is much bigger. It drove significantly better after Weld Tech Designs 6 in lift. It way increases offroad driving
ThorOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:26 PM   #35

Take a look at the Lazy Daze products. In my humble opinion, it is the best on the market for Class Cs.
Smoothy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:30 PM   #36

Our 3rd RV is a 2019 WInnibago 25B, no jacks steps, or slides, yes the tanks are smaller but there are many ways around that. Great for boondocking
Santee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:41 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Close View Post
So we're looking for a class C that's relatively short for park access (30 feet or less ish), but I'm wanting to find the largest holding tanks and LP I can find to maximize the boondocking time.

The Winnebego Spirit 26T is one of the best I've seen.
Fresh - 44g
Grey - 39g
Black - 35g
LP - 76lbs
Length - 27f 1in

That's the best I've seen so far watching Matt's channel. I'd like to find more C's like this so we can see if there's a better floorplan or brand for us.

What other C's have this kind of boondocking capacity?
Ok I have a 1996 winnebago adventure and my fresh water tank is 100 gallons, my grey tank is 55 gallons and my black is 46 gallons. I’m just going to say this, if your not tied up to a water line you can only shower every other day, you will have to watch how you do dishes, use paper. I carry at all times 4-6 gallons of water in my compartment just because. I’m very new to this but I can tell you what that person said in your second post is definitely on point. They have stuff that grinds up your black tank and reduces it to nothing almost. Of course modifications will have to be done. And always avoid the negative replies from people like the guy saying you won’t make it in your own backyard, that’s just B.S
With no modifications I can go 2 weeks almost without hitting a dump station.. good luck on your travels, ohhh and I have a 40 lb propane tank attached to my onboard, when it gets cold you will go thru that fast. That’s what runs the heat. I have ran my generator for about 5 days straight when I went to the Super Bowl in Minnesota and it was -14 degrees.. and my generator runs off of gasoline from the fuel tank. Surprisingly it did not use a lot. I was so impressed I have a Cummins generator 4000 .. anyhow safe travels.
Cor1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #38

Winnebago Vista 21B

Before you buy, look at the Winnebago Vista 21B
Neisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:16 AM   #39

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	795.2 KB
ID:	321742
We use a coachman 23 CB. It has no slides but is a great size. Just a sketch bigger than the 21 foot floor plan that is so popular. And offers a couch and a dinette. It’s 50 gallons of fresh water and enough black and gray to handle it. I added a second deep cycle battery for longer Boondocking opportunities. Tons of storage & easy to get around in.
Tman1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #40

Given the above, we chose a slideless 24 foot Class C ... on an E450 chassis that was over-kill from an overall RV weight perspective ... but offered better gearing, better brakes, a stronger frame, a larger driveshaft, and a high CCC. This is what we wound up with in a compact Ford E450 based Class C:

In summary, for the best boondocking - go small as possible and go fully loaded. [/QUOTE]

What brand and model Class C did you get? We are shopping for an RV and rented one Class C. Good post with useful information.
Johndot56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
So I realize this is NOT a class C but..............it's only 36' long and we've never had an issue getting into state or National parks.

We have 100G of fresh, 100GA of Grey and 78 Black.

The two of us easily boondock for 2 week stretches based on managing our water consumption and 3 weeks is very doable when necessary.

With 1600W of Solar and 840Ah of LiFePO4 batteries along with dual 3000W inverter/chargers, we can easily run everything in the coach including both rooftop AC units (battery life permitting).

We have plans to remove the 2 rooftop AC units and replace them with a 2 zone mini-split which will quadruple our off-grid AC runtimes and when worse comes to worst we have a 7500W generator that rarely if ever is needed.

We bought this 3 years ago and did a complete make-over including Quartz counters, residential refrigerator, and mostly new cabinetry and we're in the whole thing only $70K.........Don't discount small Diesel Pushers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	321756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3086.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	321757  

Name:	IMG_3087.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	321758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3076.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	321759  

2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:44 PM   #42

Ultimate class C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Close View Post
So we're looking for a class C that's relatively short for park access (30 feet or less ish), but I'm wanting to find the largest holding tanks and LP I can find to maximize the boondocking time.

The Winnebego Spirit 26T is one of the best I've seen.
Fresh - 44g
Grey - 39g
Black - 35g
LP - 76lbs
Length - 27f 1in

That's the best I've seen so far watching Matt's channel. I'd like to find more C's like this so we can see if there's a better floorplan or brand for us.

What other C's have this kind of boondocking capacity?
Fwiw, the Darc Mono has all the features that you are looking for. While it's a tad bit pricey, it IS the ultimate class C motorhome IMHO.

Cheers!

Michel

Tags
boondock