Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #1

The Ultimate Boondocker...

So we're looking for a class C that's relatively short for park access (30 feet or less ish), but I'm wanting to find the largest holding tanks and LP I can find to maximize the boondocking time.

The Winnebego Spirit 26T is one of the best I've seen.
Fresh - 44g
Grey - 39g
Black - 35g
LP - 76lbs
Length - 27f 1in

That's the best I've seen so far watching Matt's channel. I'd like to find more C's like this so we can see if there's a better floorplan or brand for us.

What other C's have this kind of boondocking capacity?
Heath Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #2

Our second choice (first for some features) is the Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB.

Fresh - 50g
Grey - 32g
Black - 29g
LP - 68lbs
Length - 32f 11in

That length though... won't that limit our parks quite a bit?
Old 03-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #3

Ever manufacturer shows brochures of their Class B,C,TT, and 5ers setup in middle of nowhere. They always fail to Put the disclaimer: Our models are multi-decade boondockers and have extensive experience and modifications. You won't last a weekend at Quartzite or even your own backyard.

Propane, yours mentioned just shy of 20 gallons. 4 20# cylinders, 2 40# cylinders, 3 30# cylinders but 3rd not quite full. If not running a furnace, lasted a long time for cooking and heating water if you know where off switch is.

If it were me, and its not so I can be extravagant...

Have a diesel Aquahot or Oasis installed for water and space heating needs. 2 biggest users of propane are eliminated, and also happen to be the most inefficient. Of course, this usually requires engine to be diesel fueled vs gasoline. Locating a propane fueled class c would be great. There are propane easily and oasis, and you can carry much more propane on board now. Otherwise, carry a spare 30# cylinder or 2 & use an extend-a-stay tee. Works very very well.

Water. My 16yo son can run 20g down drain in a single day. He has no eco function. Make sure your eco-motivation is up to snuff. You can always carry 3 or 4 six gallon water Jerry cans and pump/pour into fresh tank. Don't let water be a deal breaker. You can always fit full jerry cans somewhere (bathtub at minimum). Pour in as soon as able. You could even use collapsible.

Grey. Look through threads here and other sites about rv mods for creative uses for gray water other than draining onto the ground. My favorite, with decent success personally, is modify gray tank for access, have a floating strainer with hose to outside tank. Use low pressure (no suds) water pump to flush toilet with. Yes, modifications are needed to accomplish this, and change of dish washing habits. This worked well for me. Very little food waste goes into my gray tank.

Black. Carry a Black tank macerator. This grinds everything up and pumps into drain through 3/4" garden hose. Hose can be used to fill traditional stink tanks on wheels, or purpose bought Jerry cans. This also works well, be sure to not confuse Jerry cans with those for water.

You have overlooked a few things.
Food. Where you gonna keep it?
Energy. You want to run generator everyday to charge a single
house battery in winter? Get solar panels and Lithium batteries.
Clothing. Where you gonna keep it? How are you gonna wash it?
Climate. If you even think of boondocking in the South during
warm times of year, you will want awnings for patio. You want
awnings over closeouts. You want awnings over Windows.
Carefree Omega slideout awnings are great, too bad no longer
made and I have not seen similar since.
Refrigeration. Talking about the refrigerator itself. Propane
absorption sucks fire. Step up is a residential in same space.
Very few class C have room though. Best choice is regular
absorption fridge chassis with 12vdc compressor cooling unit.
Very efficient, and re-use the original fridge. Find a coach with
bad fridge, or Wait until fridge goes bad. Then replace with
compressor cooling unit from jc refrigeration.

No rv is known for storage space unless in a bus conversion. I would suggest that you find something that you can live with financially, then customize to enhance boondocking better for you. I would not settle for anything less than diesel for engine though. And not a sprinter chassis. Find a e450 chassis powered by 6.4 diesel.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krbjmpr View Post
I would not settle for anything less than diesel for engine though. And not a sprinter chassis. Find a e450 chassis powered by 6.4 diesel.
Lot's of great advice in there, thank you. I am curious about this statement though about the diesel. Why?
Old 03-04-2021, 01:02 AM   #5

Diesel Stores better, no special containers, not as combustible, Greater efficiency, more robust engines, but engines and fuel cost more, New chassis require DEF, may have cold weather problems.

Gasoline is available everywhere, stores poorly as degrades fast, extremely flammable, performance varies with altitude. Maintenance can be higher.

Propane is universal fuel but not quite universally available as motor fuel, stores indefinitely, containers bulky and heavy, clean burning - not as clean as natural gas.

My preferences would be to use 1 fuel. Using equator / oasis diesel models, propane is largely eliminated except for stove. Propane can be used for *everything*, including motor fuel.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #6

IMHO, since boondocking implies being out in the boonies ... a boondocking RV should be as small as you can tolerate and rugged as you can afford so as to be able to get to the best (isolation, beauty, etc.) camping places to do it in ... excluding certain 4WD-recommended access areas (although a 2WD Class C has superb dry surface rear wheel traction because of the heavy weight on it's rear tires).

Given the above, we chose a slideless 24 foot Class C ... on an E450 chassis that was over-kill from an overall RV weight perspective ... but offered better gearing, better brakes, a stronger frame, a larger driveshaft, and a high CCC. This is what we wound up with in a compact Ford E450 based Class C:

- 55 galllons of gas for long built-in generator run times, with gas left over for the V10
- 60 lbs. of built-in propane capacity (18 gallon water volume tank)
- 45 gallons of fresh water capacity
- 39 gallons of black water capacity
- 29 gallons of grey water capacity
- black and grey tanks with valves for inter-mixing
- built-in generator installed so as to be quiet enough for long run times
- multi-ducted air conditioning system for balanced cool air distribution
- multi-ducted furnace system for balanced warm air distribution
- full spare mounted up out of the way in the rear up between the frame members just like on pickup trucks
- plenty of interior storage areas, including all of the area under both of the dinette seats
- 8 exterior storage compartments, not including the generator and propane tank compartments
- 2 queen beds and 1 full bed
- a pivoting/sliding lounge seat in addition to the dinette seats and cab seats
- dry bath with a shower that can contain my 6'2" frame with room to spare
- an absorption refrigerator that actually works well, while just sipping 12V power and propane, but for backup can also be ran via generators

Here are other related details:

- both interior sink faucets have been modified to a 0.5 gpm maximum flow rate
- the Ford V10 can be very quietly and vibration-free idled for hours if necessary for backup coach battery charging, backup coach heating, and backup coach cooling
- we carry along an ultra-quiet 650 watt portable backup generator, with extra gas for it
- we have storage room to carry along such things as 2 folding full size lounge chairs, 3 folding regular chairs, 1 folding picnic table, 2 folding side tables, a beach umbrella, a BBQ, 5 multi-step leveling blocks, a full size propane fire pit, a 2-stage hydraulic jack, 2 portable propane tanks, spare parts/fluids/tools, fishing poles, a full size shovel, a folding outside step, etc..

We don't have to carry any extra equipment on the roof, or hanging off the rear ladder, or on rear trailer hitch boxes or platforms

In summary, for the best boondocking - go small as possible and go fully loaded.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Close View Post
So we're looking for a class C that's relatively short for park access (30 feet or less ish), but I'm wanting to find the largest holding tanks and LP I can find to maximize the boondocking time.

Fresh - 44g

Grey - 39g

Black - 35g

LP - 76lbs

Length - 27f 1in

That's the best I've seen so far watching Matt's channel. I'd like to find more C's like this so we can see if there's a better floorplan or brand for us.

FR Sunseeker 2350 LE=

55Gl Fuel
44Gl Fresh
39 Gl Gray
39GlBlack
L.P. 9.8
tomsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:

Fresh - 44g
Grey - 39g
Black - 35g
LP - 76lbs
Length - 27f 1in

Length according to Winnebago 28.5.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:

Fresh - 44g
Grey - 39g
Black - 35g
LP - 76lbs
Length - 27f 1in

Well ... mine does. See my post #6.

BTW, the very common propane tank that Winnebago uses in a lot of their Class C motorhomes is an 18 gallon one. That tank is 18 gallons of "water" capacity. Derating this gallon capacity because propane tanks only get 80% filled, means the common Winnebago Class C 18 gallon propane tank only holds approximately 60 lbs. of propane - not 76 lbs..
Old 03-05-2021, 02:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
IMHO, since boondocking implies being out in the boonies ... a boondocking RV should be as small as you can tolerate and rugged as you can afford so as to be able to get to the best (isolation, beauty, etc.) camping places to do it in ... excluding certain 4WD-recommended access areas (although a 2WD Class C has superb dry surface rear wheel traction because of the heavy weight on it's rear tires).

Given the above, we chose a slideless 24 foot Class C ... on an E450 chassis that was over-kill from an overall RV weight perspective ... but offered better gearing, better brakes, a stronger frame, a larger driveshaft, and a high CCC. This is what we wound up with in a compact Ford E450 based Class C:

- 55 galllons of gas for long built-in generator run times, with gas left over for the V10
- 60 lbs. of built-in propane capacity (18 gallon water volume tank)
- 45 gallons of fresh water capacity
- 39 gallons of black water capacity
- 29 gallons of grey water capacity
- black and grey tanks with valves for inter-mixing
- built-in generator installed so as to be quiet enough for long run times
- multi-ducted air conditioning system for balanced cool air distribution
- multi-ducted furnace system for balanced warm air distribution
- full spare mounted up out of the way in the rear up between the frame members just like on pickup trucks
- plenty of interior storage areas, including all of the area under both of the dinette seats
- 8 exterior storage compartments, not including the generator and propane tank compartments
- 2 queen beds and 1 full bed
- a pivoting/sliding lounge seat in addition to the dinette seats and cab seats
- dry bath with a shower that can contain my 6'2" frame with room to spare
- an absorption refrigerator that actually works well, while just sipping 12V power and propane, but for backup can also be ran via generators

Here are other related details:

- both interior sink faucets have been modified to a 0.5 gpm maximum flow rate
- the Ford V10 can be very quietly and vibration-free idled for hours if necessary for backup coach battery charging, backup coach heating, and backup coach cooling
- we carry along an ultra-quiet 650 watt portable backup generator, with extra gas for it
- we have storage room to carry along such things as 2 folding full size lounge chairs, 3 folding regular chairs, 1 folding picnic table, 2 folding side tables, a beach umbrella, a BBQ, 5 multi-step leveling blocks, a full size propane fire pit, a 2-stage hydraulic jack, 2 portable propane tanks, spare parts/fluids/tools, fishing poles, a full size shovel, a folding outside step, etc..

We don't have to carry any extra equipment on the roof, or hanging off the rear ladder, or on rear trailer hitch boxes or platforms

In summary, for the best boondocking - go small as possible and go fully loaded.

Old 03-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Our second choice (first for some features) is the Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB.

Fresh - 50g
Grey - 32g
Black - 29g
LP - 68lbs
Length - 32f 11in

That length though... won't that limit our parks quite a bit?
We boondocked and used public parks almost exclusively for 8 yr. with a 40' motorhome towing the Jeep. We had absolutely no issues fitting into campgrounds - national parks, state parks, national forest, Corp of Engineers and driving 20 mi. off pavement to fantastic boondocking spots. You don't have to think 'small'.

As for tank capacities - the fresh and grey tank sizes should be your priority. We rarely filled the black tank even when boondocking for up to 14 days. Plus, we'd use dish water to flush the toilet.

You just have to learn to conserve water and use. It's amazing how little water you can use for dishes and showers.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We boondocked and used public parks almost exclusively for 8 yr. with a 40' motorhome towing the Jeep. We had absolutely no issues fitting into campgrounds - national parks, state parks, national forest, Corp of Engineers and driving 20 mi. off pavement to fantastic boondocking spots. You don't have to think 'small'.

As for tank capacities - the fresh and grey tank sizes should be your priority. We rarely filled the black tank even when boondocking for up to 14 days. Plus, we'd use dish water to flush the toilet.

You just have to learn to conserve water and use. It's amazing how little water you can use for dishes and showers.
Of course ... it's always very easy to offload grey water into the black water tank.

Since this is the case - if both tanks aren't the same size - then I'd prefer that the black tank be the larger one because this is the more versatile arrangement.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #13

Quote:

Fresh - 44g
Grey - 39g
Black - 35g
LP - 76lbs
Length - 27f 1in

You have to tell us at what temps you will be boondocking and if you will be going into town for food and dumping. That will determine you limiting factor.
Let's say in very cold areas - the limiting factors are propane for heat and power (gas or propane) for dehumidifier and other electric.

If you are in warm climates. The limiting factor will be your black water tank and if you need a lot of electricity but with enough solar that is not an issue.
You will only need propane for cooking and heating water.

You can solve your black tank and gray tank issue with blue boy portable totes.
Also for fresh you can supplement it with 5 gallon jugs.

I also agree with others that said that food can be a limiting factor especially items that need to be refrigerated or frozen.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #14

Fresh water is a concern when boondocking. Our "dish" rinse water becomes our dish water (the next time we do dishes) then the same becomes our flush water. We have 2 tea kettles, 1 for fresh water and one for rinse water. Standing in 2 dish pans when showering saves that water too. Which can also be used for flushing. We use wide mouth plastic jugs to store used water until needed. Catch warmup shower water to be used as fresh.

Keep plenty of water in your Black water tank. Avoid the dreaded hump, where the liquid runs off leaving only solids.

Tags
boondock