Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #1

Thor Four Winds Chateau 23U

We just got a 2011 Class C. At first we were real excited but the first trip well it was a trip. It was so loud inside at times I was thinking I need to add an amplifier just to hear the music. As we went down Hwy69 in Texas/ Oklahoma each bump sounded like we were hauling scrap metal.

I am working on air pressure and looking for suspension issues, but is it normal for the 23 footers to be so rough a ride? The stove, fridge and all utensils are right over the axle and they make too much noise. At one point the stove top and metal grid both flew off. I might as well have a toddler with shiny new cymbals in back. The dealer said we would be better off to move the plate from the microwave to the bed to reduce noise. HA could not even hear it.
Gimpyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Have you checked your weight and adjusted your tire pressures to match the load? How about your shocks - how old are they and what is your odometer read. Might want to consider changing those.

Road surfaces can add lots of noise to your ride. Some roads are just noisy because of the pavement. US69 is an old road and probably doesn't a very good surface.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

I purchased the same model on a chevy chassis last December. This site has lots of tips and tricks to quiet dishes and dinner and such.

I found the screen door can rattle excessively unless the plastic door is slid closed over the door handle.

Towels on the stove cover and grate should be standard equipment for any class C. They all rattle.

A small piece of velcro holding the tri-fold bathroom door open against the wall made a big difference.

Speaking of the tri-fold bathroom door, watch the thin aluminum plates where the wheels mount. Mine had cracks from fatigue failure. I had to add re-enforcement to get the door usable again. Some kroil in the wheel bearings made a huge difference as well.

Even driving across southern Louisiana at night in a rain storm, I've never come close to having the stove cover and grate try to make a run for it. There might be something more going on. Your experience is not typical in my experience.

Cliff
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #4

Thank you for the ideas.

First we had to fix a few initial mechanicals the dealer messed up. This week we will fill up the freshwater, top off the fuel tank at Pilot and hit the Cat Scales. I have not found a four corner scale yet but at least I will know my base weight empty per axle. Then we can load it and return to see if we are balanced. I am pretty good at even loading this late in life.

Our shower has a curtain so that is one rattle we do not have to worry about. I did not think of the screen door. I will find a way to quiet this too. The wife is a quilter so we will make some wraps for the stovetop, but the inside rack I still do not know what to do.

New shocks were installed just 7000 miles ago. I really do believe tire pressure will be a cause as the maintenance history shows new tires every 20000 miles. Even the worst driving should do better than that. I have 6 Firestones now and as I remember my old trucks it is not the quietest tires either. I will probably go to Hankook HTs as they were great on my box truck about the same size. Cut and style were almost identical to Michelin's.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #5

I had the same issues with the noise, with the radio up all the way still couldn't hear it that great. So i installed a JVC 400 watt sound amp. Only have it set up for 200 watt. upgraded the speakers and wires. made a big deference. On our Chateau I mounted the rear speakers facing forward no down in a speaker box. It sounds great.
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have found that rubberized shelf lining makes great anti rattle material.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes definitely use rubber shelf liners for plates, pots, mixing bowls and every thing else that goes into a cabinet. It made a huge difference for us

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Just found the microwave held in by the four face screws, whole thing will nounce. Took a foam interlocking pad for shop floor and set it under the microwave. Reduced the noise alot.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Yes definitely use rubber shelf liners for plates, pots, mixing bowls and every thing else that goes into a cabinet. It made a huge difference for us

momdoc
Our paper plates make little to no noise.
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #10

We have a 2017 Four Winds 22B and it is pretty quiet. I have had 3 motor homes and this one is much quieter than others.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #11

All great suggestions. We are going through this one item at a time. The tires were all good on inflation. Fronts were 64 psi rears 72 psi. At least I know we were not over inflated. Did find all were out of balance. Still loud on bumpy roads.

Shocks are verified new so not changing much there.

Cabinets need work. From the vibrations the main one is almost off the wall. I will reattach the cabinets and line them with mats or carpet. We went to nylon utensils for now and will line the pots with towels. At least it will not be so loud. I am still looking into why the rear suspension is so firm. Might be because of a rental build rather than a retail build.

I am rethinking the stove install as 4 screws is not much. Even my trailer was better than that.

Screen door was good and very little rattle. The shower did not have a solid door either to rattle.

This week we are loading it down to see if the weight helps with softening the rear suspension ride. It may just be it was empty and too stiff without a load.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #12

Although the tires do not have a lot of miles, the years are close to their end cycle. You may want to think about new tires soon. MHO
JONWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #13

Actually all six have been replaced within 2 years, but date codes are older. We do want to change tires but need to wait as another $1500 right after we bought this is taking away from drive time.

Tags
four winds, thor