Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #1

Thor House Refrigerator

Just traded in our 2011 Chateau for a New Thor Quantum 31. It came with the larger 11 cubic fridge that does not run on propane. So it has to be either plugged in to shore power or the generator has to be running. My question to any one who has had one of these is do you need to keep the generator running going down the road the whole time or can you just run it every hour or so? Will the fridge stay cold for a while after the power is shut off?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2019, 08:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
Just traded in our 2011 Chateau for a New Thor Quantum 31. It came with the larger 11 cubic fridge that does not run on propane. So it has to be either plugged in to shore power or the generator has to be running. My question to any one who has had one of these is do you need to keep the generator running going down the road the whole time or can you just run it every hour or so? Will the fridge stay cold for a while after the power is shut off?
I am surprised you don't have an inverter. I have never heard of a factory installed residential refrig that didn't have one. It should power the refrigerator just fine going down the road.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:15 AM   #3

The specs of a 2018 and 2019 Quantum show a 1800 watt inverter with the residental fridge option.
They also list a 4 battery house bank to support it.

Thats what will run your residental fridge while not on generator or shore power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #4

Bill, it will power the fridge with the generator on. Have never had to run our generator in our old unit going down the road because it would switch to propane. Just not sure how much fuel the generator uses, I'm guessing about a gallon an hour.

Also here in Texas during the hurricanes, I can run my portable generator for 2 hours to run my fridge and freezer, turn off for 2 hours etc and it will keep everything cold. Wondering if the same principal works for this RV fridge . Will find out this weekend. Just thought someone had been down this road before. Thanks
Old 09-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #5

When going down the road, your engine alternator charges the house batteries. The house batteries power the inverter which then powers the fridge. The inverter is located under the fridge and the drawer has to be removed to access it.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
With the generator off and the shore power plugged removed, turn on your inverter. Check the refrigerator for power (this assumes that your house batteries are in place and charged). If you have power to your refrigerator, then there is no need to run your generator when stopped or going down the road to power the refrigerator. You should have enough battery power to last, at least, overnight.

Leave the inverter on when you are going down the road as the alternator will charge the batteries that power your refrigerator.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
" Will find out this weekend. Just thought someone had been down this road before."

Ok what did you find out?
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:09 PM   #8

I have a Thor 2020 with "house fridge" that is ran with inverter when you are not on shore power or gen running.
toopooped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, thor