Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 06:17 PM   #1

Thor quality?

Looking to downsize from my Monaco DP. Found a gently used Freedom Elite Ford chassis. Not familiar with Thor quality. Any counsel appreciated. 2018 yr model. 26HE
gilcolog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 06:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilcolog View Post
Looking to downsize from my Monaco DP. Found a gently used Freedom Elite Ford chassis. Not familiar with Thor quality. Any counsel appreciated. 2018 yr model. 26HE
Thor quality?

This might be a baited question.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:57 PM   #3

Thor Quality reviews

You might want to read some of these;

https://www.rvinsider.com/Thor-Motor...iews_container
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #4

Thor makes by far the most RV’s, so you’ll hear the most complaints.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:23 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like an oxymoron to me
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did the same downsized from a monaco 04 with 3slides to a 31ft Fleetwood 31m,with 2 slides. Both me and dw hate it, lost the living area bath is good size, bedroom is decent, cost of ownership is a LOT LOWER than the monaco dp, single 15k ac will do ok up to 95f outside any above that and you need 2 access during the day, night is no issue, hate the 4k onan under the bedroom made all sorts of sound reducing fixes that has improved it, yah miss the onan qd8k mounted up front. May be looking for another monaco in the future.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:52 AM   #7

Decide for yourself by looking at comparable units from different manufacturers. When we were shopping for a used gas motorhome, we found that units by Tiffin, Newmar and Winnebago were higher quality based on what we saw in terms of construction, fit & finish and quality of furniture.

I also found this publication to be informative and helpful:
https://rvreviews.net/motorhome-comparison-guide/
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:47 AM   #8

There are more Thor branded RVs on the road so more problems. Many of the popular RV manufacturers are owned by Thor but not prominently displayed as such. Airstream, Tiffin, Keystone, etc. Thor has its bottom dweller RVs just as Forrest River and others. Some swear by Thor customer service, some swear at it. All RV manufacturing has lacking QA and QC unless you want to spend in the 7 figures. They, Newel, Marathon, etc. won't be trouble free though down the road.

Current period is hard to judge RV quality from any manufacturer because of the shortage of workers and parts, unfortunately sourced from crappy nations, issues today are compounded from what we saw a couple years ago. Regardless of the brand on the door, a buyer/looker has to exercise extreme DD in a purchase.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #9

A salesman told me once a few years ago to stay away from thor. He was not working he was with his wife trading in an rv on a bigger one. We just happened to strike up a conversation with him when he said stay away from Thor..Their Junk..
boiledowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Thor and Quality don't go together. My first RV was a brand new, $115,000 Thor Four Winds 33SW Super C. After 172 days in the shop in the first 11 months of ownership, I filed Lemon Law on it, they came to the house and got everything working, and I immediately traded it in. Got a 2005 Monaco Safari Gazelle and after over 4 years and 109,000 miles, it never broke, nothing, not even a drawer, door, nothing.

I had a picture for a while of once when I took it to the Ford house for service. There was another Four Winds in the parking lot. I asked about it and they said it had so much water damage from the cap or windshield leaking that it was going to be a total loss.

That piece of junk had something break on it every time we went out, usually the slide.

Awful, just awful. Never again.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Bought a brand new Thor Vegas in 2016 .
No major problems but constant small issues.
Drawers falling apart , constant electrical issues and a single a/c unit ( optional larger unit ) that couldn’t keep the rv cool .
Cameras that wouldn’t work an overhead bunk that rattled like it was about to fall and many other issues.
No rv is issue free and Thor seems to have some great design ideas but their execution is poorly done ( cheap construction )
I was able to sort most of the issues out myself as the dealer was useless.
I wouldn’t buy another.
Replaced it with a Winnebago and we had some minor issues with it but overall a much higher quality rv.
petewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:34 PM   #12

Thor is the mothership for many brands. My understanding is the individual brands are fairly independent from central control, but they do have to show results at the bottom line. I remember the fit Airstream owners had when Thor bought them out, but it does not seem to have diminished the fervor of AD owners. I did notice one funny thing. Older Airstreams have a tag saying “A Thor Company”. That label is nowhere to be found on my 2021 Globetrotter. Must be rough when your corporate brand needs too be hidden on your Flagship brand
jondrew55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:21 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think it all depends on the brand. Some of the brands include airstream, entegra, tiffin, jaco, etc... Not sure how the thor brand is,
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:54 PM   #14

Thor Build - Not very good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogbelly View Post
Thor quality?

This might be a baited question.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...3/#post-633882
Wizbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, thor