Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thoughts on 30' Class C on the Chevy Chassis

We are looking at a 2015 Coachmen Concord Model 30TS (3 slides and 30.5ft) which is on the Chevy Chassis. We have had class c motorhomes before but they have all been on the Ford E-450 Chassis. I would appreciate some input as to the pros and cons of the Chevy versus Ford Chassis. Thanks
rpgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2021, 06:12 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would like it especially if it had the Alison transmission.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #3

Just make sure the GVWR of that Chevy chassis compares to the E450. Three slide-outs is going to make a very heavy rig. If you do buy it, consider replacing the standard "E" rated tires with one of the extra capacity versions. Each extra capacity tire can handle an extra 500 pounds in back for a total of 2000 extra pounds, and 600 pounds per tire up front for an extra 1200 pounds.

30 feet and 3-slide-out rigs experience many more tire blow-outs than all other conventional class C's due to the tires being over-loaded at the full 80psi.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #4
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Geez…. I do not know about tires and blow outs on a Chevy 4500 with a 30’ MFG sign on the side of it. My 29QB on the longer 209” wheelbase, for that year of the 4500 has been fine. It has a slide. It is also maybe two inches taller getting into it than my last class C on a Ford chassis.

Mine is really 31.5’ long, I think, see my sig.

I bought it because stock everything on the 4500 chassis gave a superior drive while on the interstate roads. Passing semis and cross winds are not anywhere near as exciting as I experienced on my modified E350 chassis, no slide, that I threw a few bucks into to get it manageable on the road.

In fact, I really feel just a touch on the steering wheel when big rigs go by with the 4500 chassis.

One other thing is my 6.0 V8 engine is SO quiet compared to the Ford V10 when climbing even the slowest rises on the interstate. I have to listen to see if the trans has shifted down a gear. In fact it could shift down two gears and I do not think I would know it. I say that because my last Ford chassis with the V10 would scream, 5k rpm, on small inclines. Even after throwing $500 + bucks at it to work better.

A side note. I think Coachmen made a good product in the years you are looking at.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:29 PM   #5

If the Chevy was superior, it would have outsold the Ford, it didn't.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:39 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Just make sure the GVWR of that Chevy chassis compares to the E450. Three slide-outs is going to make a very heavy rig. If you do buy it, consider replacing the standard "E" rated tires with one of the extra capacity versions. Each extra capacity tire can handle an extra 500 pounds in back for a total of 2000 extra pounds, and 600 pounds per tire up front for an extra 1200 pounds.

30 feet and 3-slide-out rigs experience many more tire blow-outs than all other conventional class C's due to the tires being over-loaded at the full 80psi.
My experience is in line with what Ron states. Per CAT scales, my 31'-9" rig as loaded (sparingly) for travel is several hundred pounds under the GVWR and also under the GAWR's (the front is real close, however.) Each of the 3 owners has had a "blowout" (inner dual in each case) ..... mine and the PO's were non-events but the original owner lost a black tank (the steel belt "knocked the crap out of it" ........ sorry, couldn't resist.)

My last set of Bridgestone (load range E tires) went 6 years without a whimper, but I replaced them recently with the extra capacity tires Ron mentions. IMHO the tires are the weak point on the long Class C's (and after an emergency stop I decided the brakes on mine ain't nothin' to write home about either.) Many owners are going with the Michelin extra capacity tires; I chose to go with Toyo Celcius Cargo tires as they were on sale online ($1008 for 7 out the door with free shipping at the time) and I got them mounted and balanced here in Denver for $150. Of course my rig still has a GVWR of 14,050 lb and I intend to stay under that; but I feel good about the "stronger" tires. Just my $.02

I have read lots of posts over the years that many people say the Chevy rigs are way more comfortable leg-room wise and heat-wise than the Ford E450 ..... and as NRR says, quieter too. Those attributes would sure be a plus for me.

Glad to hear you are considering getting back into another Class C (or whatever.) Good times and safe travels to ya.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
Sometimes there's more to it...

Chevy exited the Chevy Express Cutaway chassis for RVs market for a few years. During the years they weren't being made the RV manufacturers outfitted their models and designs for the Ford E-series chassis as it was the only one they could get. Relatively recently, GM restarted their Express Cutaway production again for RV use, but not at a GM-owned factory. They're made under contract by Navistar in Springfield, OH.

Search the threads here and you'll find that most people that have owned both prefer the handling and cab comfort of the Chevy.

GVWR of the Chevy 4500 is 14,200 lbs, 300 lbs less than the Ford E-450. There are fewer wheelbase options for the Chevy though, and no long wheelbase options, so it's generally not used on RVs much longer than mine (28').
Old 11-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
You don't suppose the fact that Chevy stopped production and all you could get was Ford had anything to do with it?
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
GVWR of the Chevy 4500 is 14,200 lbs, 300 lbs less than the Ford E-450. There are fewer wheelbase options for the Chevy though, and no long wheelbase options, so it's generally not used on RVs much longer than mine (28').
Chevy used to be lighter, so the payload was the same. Looks like the latest Fords, with the new 7.3, have gotten a bit lighter.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #10

Years ago, I had a 2007 29 foot Four Winds with the Chevy 6.0, my buddy had a 28 foot C with the V-10. We would both climb hills at about the same pace, ride was similar and CCC was comparable. Biggest difference, I got 10-12 mpg, my buddy never saw 8 mpg and he always complained about his V-10 screaming at the first sight of a hill.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgibbs View Post
We are looking at a 2015 Coachmen Concord Model 30TS (3 slides and 30.5ft) which is on the Chevy Chassis. We have had class c motorhomes before but they have all been on the Ford E-450 Chassis. I would appreciate some input as to the pros and cons of the Chevy versus Ford Chassis. Thanks

Well, you asked for it, lol. Another Ford vs Chevrolet argument. In my prime sales years I sold to Ford and GM dealers, so I have heard it all. In my experience, both of them are great engines. I agree that the GM gets better gas mileage on average. I love them both. I usually don't shop power train over coach. At the moment I have the V-10.
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, chevy, class c