Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
My information comes from MB owners who tow, typically a Jeep 4 down. I make it a habit to chat these folks up and they consistently bemoan the lack of torque when towing heavy. Can't count the number I have seen, flashers on 10 to 20 mph under the flow of traffic{which is inherently dangerous}. This thread is about comparing performance between the various C's out there and I have merely shared my observations supported by hard numbers.

Since I tow a motorcycle, albeit a very large heavy beast, my needs are less than those folks pulling a full sized toad {like a Jeep}. But when it comes to towing it is torque that gets the job done and 295 vs 420 is simply no contest.

I would also disagree with the Capt. Owning both a V10 and the V6 Merc, I would say the Merc will actually climb better than my V10. I also don't understand why due to the torque specs, except that climbing usually entails elevation. The turbocharged V6 has an edge at elevation (thin air). Just because you pass people on a grade and they are going slower doesn't mean there is a drag race going on. I reduce speed based on turbo temps, tranny temps, oil temps, or just my schedule. It doesn't mean the rig can't go faster. I also flat tow. It amazes me how much power, and economy, that little 3.0L produces. This doesn't mean I don't like the V10. I do. Just don't sell that little diesel short.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We own a 2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 28 Q on a a Ford E450 chassis with Triton V-10. I chose gas power because I’ve worked on and around gas engines for 56 years. The choice of a Class C was based on ease of driving, Parking and setup. Most major makes are comparable in quality; there are always occasional flaws in any of them. Of course, experiences and opinions vary.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c