Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #1

Time To Get A Newer Class C

I'm likely to sell our Ford E350 Adventurer Class C motorhome, as it's about ten years old now, we've had it for a year or so, and we both like RV'ing enough to get something newer an nicer.

It can't be longer than 24 feet and five years old. I live near Vancouver, British Columbia Canada and I have noticed that prices of used RV's have gone up somewhat over the last year or so, but not as much as in the USA it seems (at least not yet). I am fine buying used and privately from Craigslist.

Here is the floor plan my wife likes the best https://www.autotrader.ca/a/thor%20m...0054014/?ms=rv

Me, I am more interested in how robust and versatile the electrical systems are (both 12 volts and 120 volts) drive train / engine, handling, suspension, generator, maximizing RV battery capacity, being able to access 120 volts without running the generator (i.e. onboard inverter), how long I can go without connecting to shorepower / city water, what I should look for when making the inspection, and such things as that. I'm not sure I want to go diesel because I've read the Mercedes have issues after a few years, but I may be wrong.

It's also possible that used prices have increased so much due to the pandemic, that buying new / near new this December - January might be viable, I am not sure.
RecChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecChimp View Post
I'm likely to sell our Ford E350 Adventurer Class C motorhome, as it's about ten years old now, we've had it for a year or so, and we both like RV'ing enough to get something newer an nicer.

It can't be longer than 24 feet and a five years old. I live near Vancouver, British Columbia Canada and I have noticed that prices of used RV's have gone up somewhat over the last year or so, but not as much as in the USA it seems (at least not yet). I am fine buying used and privately from Craigslist.

Here is the floor plan my wife likes the best https://www.autotrader.ca/a/thor%20m...0054014/?ms=rv

Me, I am more interested in how robust and versatile the electrical systems are (both 12 volts and 120 volts) drive train / engine, handling, suspension, generator, maximizing RV battery capacity, being able to access 120 volts without running the generator (i.e. onboard inverter), how long I can go without connecting to shorepower / city water, what I should look for when making the inspection, and such things as that. I'm not sure I want to go diesel because I've read the Mercedes have issues after a few years, but I may be wrong.
You better look for one on the E450 chassis. That much of a slide as shown in your link (almost the whole driver's side wall) is going to be hard on an E350 chassis.

FWIW, we have a non-slide 24 footer on an E450 chassis and it drives and handles like a van on the highway and offroad.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #3

Best check the state laws about diesel fuel in the states you want to visit. A couple of people told me that Minnesota bio-diesel fuel regs don't work well in their MB View. Just a thought.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in the same boat that you are. My rig is a 2006. I want to get a 26-28 foot new or newer class C but there is no inventory out there. I'm going to wait a year until inventory levels are better and/or people that bought during COVID start selling off their rigs.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:34 PM   #5

Be sure to monitor rvtrader.com too.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #6

Thanks much for all posts so far, and I look forward to more!
Old 10-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #7

We purchased a 2017 Four Winds just under a year and a half ago. 1,500 miles. It's 31ft, E450 with the V10. Absolutely love the Four Winds. up to 8,000 miles on it. absolutely no issues. I would definitely recommend a four winds. We're probably going to upgrade to a Class A in the next 4 to 5 years, but until then we will definitely get a lot of use out of this Class C
Old 10-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:

It can't be longer than 24 feet and five years old. I live near Vancouver, British Columbia Canada and I have noticed that prices of used RV's have gone up somewhat over the last year or so, but not as much as in the USA it seems (at least not yet). I am fine buying used and privately from Craigslist.

It's also possible that used prices have increased so much due to the pandemic, that buying new / near new this December - January might be viable, I am not sure.
Forest River Class C (or B+) units have pretty much the exact floor plan you describe in your link. Their two variations are either Sunseeker or Forester and are almost identical (25.7í). Itís our floor plan of choice too. Ours is a 2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD (meaning it was a previous rental from CanaDream).

Hereís a description link and a videoÖÖ

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-...0s-gts-tr31151

kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

get the e450 , especially with huge slide... and you want all that capacity for water and energy.

minnie winne for example 26 foot had holding tanks more that 31 foot but 25 foot are half size...with more storage etc etc..

compare all specs..

now running off of batteries for 110.. do more home work.. smaller RV may not have room for extra batteries,, even 2 good lith at 200AH will be a limiter, then you need solar or run genny.. roof area for solar,,

Finding an RV with all this ready to plug and play.. good luck IMO..

My problem would be finding the RV that would not cost me an other arm and leg to configure with what I need and they never seem to be turn key..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #10

Since youíre near Vancouver maybe check out the rental companies, there are quite a few here in Calgary renting to people going through the Rockies.
Iím sure they are low on inventory as well but might have something coming up for sale.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:37 PM   #11

Thank you so much for the insightful replies everyone, the pandemic is making things extremely difficult in terms of higher costs, yes itís true I can sell our existing unit for more than I might have expected, but similarly a newer unit has increased in price proportionally, and US prices seem worse than Canadian prices (quite the reversal from the usual conditions).
Old 10-20-2021, 02:48 AM   #12

The lovely Mrs. RecChimp has a few questions as well:

1. Does Thor manufacture good motorhomes?
2. Is it worthwhile buying a new motorhome for the warranty?
3. What are the main problems that occur with motorhomes?
4. What are the pros and cons of slide-outs?

She is, alas, disinclined to use the search function, or to simply read posts particular to her questions, or for that matter to use Google despite my suggestions to do so, thus any input would be appreciated as she will read this thread, if nothing else.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #13

Quote:
The lovely Mrs. RecChimp has a few questions as well.

4. What are the pros and cons of slide-outs?
I am not a lover of slide-outs, so my list of "cons" is serious.

Pros......
- You gain more floor space when the slide-out is open.
- Having a slide-out in the bedroom often increases the size of the double or queen bed and often offers a walk-around situation.
- Slide-outs increase resale value because most people like them.

Cons.....
- They add to the purchase price.
- Each one puts a massive hole in the wall, reducing structural integrity.
- They can be problematic requiring repair or adjustments.
- They add significant weight
- They reduce linear wall space which takes from cabinets, dinettes, couches, etc.
- They offer none or small over-head cabinets.
- They are less insulated and don't seal as well as a solid wall making them colder in winter and hotter in summer.
- Wind-driven rain can penetrate inside.
- Wind-driven rain can puddle on top, then the water comes inside when closed.
- They are a source for rattles when driving.
- They make the interior cluttered when driving.
- Pending where, they interfere with the movement of the front seats.
- Bugs, water, and dirt cling on and come in when bringing in the slide-out.
- They require regular maintenance to work their best.
- Given their sensitivity to being level, you'll want to also add the cost, weight, and complexity of an automatic leveling system.

We special ordered our no-slide rig SEEN HERE 14 years ago at age 49, and plan to own it until we are too old and dangerous to drive it. We have never regretted the decision to go slide-less. Regardless of our rig's age, it will never give us any of the issues listed above. It's been a fantastic rig, serving our needs very comfortably.

BUT keep in-mind of where we came from. We owned THIS RIG from age 25 to age 49. The change was like moving into a mansion.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:51 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
Since youíre near Vancouver maybe check out the rental companies, there are quite a few here in Calgary renting to people going through the Rockies.
Iím sure they are low on inventory as well but might have something coming up for sale.

On the contrary, Canadream appears to be selling virtually-new (delivery mileage) 2022 Class Cs and Bs. Forest River Foresters for the former. '19s. 20s and '21s available too.

https://www.canadream.com/rv-sales/l...tion=Vancouver
TheCatsRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c