Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #1

I am new to this site and motorhomes in general. I am looking into purchasing a 1988 Fleetwood Tioga that is in really good condition. My question is how much can/does it tow. I am looking for it to tow around 7,000# (Rig and Trailer). I tow it now with a 2002 Surburban and it does pretty good. Just woundering if this with the Ford 460 would be able to tow what I need it to.

I know it won't be a screemer like with a DP but I would at least like it to not be struggling all the time and possably blowing the transmition...

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advanced.
stppinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #2

I am new to this site and motorhomes in general. I am looking into purchasing a 1988 Fleetwood Tioga that is in really good condition. My question is how much can/does it tow. I am looking for it to tow around 7,000# (Rig and Trailer). I tow it now with a 2002 Surburban and it does pretty good. Just woundering if this with the Ford 460 would be able to tow what I need it to.

I know it won't be a screemer like with a DP but I would at least like it to not be struggling all the time and possably blowing the transmition...

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a 1998 Fleetwood Tioga on the Ford Super Duty Chassis with a rating of 14,050 lbs and the max towing for it was 3,500 lbs and i would have to agree that much than that would be a problem.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #4

Well, that is pretty depressing. I thought with the 460 it would be able to do a little more than that. I guess the whole rig itself is pretty heavy...

Do you think it is a suspension thing or an all around engine/transmission issue. Adding air bags would help out.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It starts with the receiver (3500 lob rating) and the relatively weak extended framework it is bolted to. Next you run into the GCWR of the chassis itself. By the time you subtract the weight of the motorhome itself, passengers and gear, there is precious little left for towing capacity.

Few, if any, gas chassis Class A or C's have a towing capacity greater than 5000 lbs max You need to be looking at a more robust chassis for your needs and that usually means a diesel (pusher or a FRED)
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As Gary mentions, there is nothing you can do to increase the tow rating.

All of the things you mention will only help hide the overweight issue.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:28 PM   #7

Thanks for all the info guys. It helped out a lot in not making a mistake in getting something that will not fit our needs.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #8

I've got a 1992 Tioga and wouldn't tow anything with it.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've got a 1992 Tioga and wouldn't tow anything with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not even a couple of four wheelers? That would be under or at the 3500 lbs...