Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Tire Balancing

While driving I notice a vibration about 63-63 and above. Its not bad or distracting but knowing that it does not take much to wear tires out I'm wanting to get it fixed..

Looking to balance the tires and the answer seems to be to put balancing beads in the tire. Having it doe tomorrow.

I have done this with a motorcycle and it was awesome. No matter how the tire wear or the reason, the tire beads move around every time the tire rotates and keeps the tires balanced.

Any one have an experience using balancing beads on a MH?
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #2

yes used balancing beads on my 2008 Knight 275/75 22.5

put them in when installing new front tires in 2018 and at that time also put them in the four rear tires that were installed in 2015

worked fine had no issues with them no vibration no wobble and could do myself
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have beads in the 22.5s on my DP and love them. Put them in my Blazer with 31x10.50x15 and they were horrible. They work well in tires that are proportionally taller than they are wide. Motorcycles, and all my trailers = yes. Corvette = no.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I have beads in the 22.5s on my DP and love them. Put them in my Blazer with 31x10.50x15 and they were horrible. They work well in tires that are proportionally taller than they are wide. Motorcycles, and all my trailers = yes. Corvette = no.

AHHHH!! You said the magic word.....Corvette.
Knowing Chevrolet, they made it so they would not work so you have to take it in to have them fixed.

Thanks for the info!!
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In May of 2019 I bought 6 Firestone FS561 245/70R19.5 tires for my 2003 34' Georgetown Class A.

I installed them myself. I used competition grade steel BBs for balancing beads. I put 10 ounces in the front tires and 12 ounces in the rear. I have NO vibration at any speed!

I used the BB's because they are big enough to avoid getting caught in the texture on the inside of a truck tire, they don't require special valve cores, they won't leak out of a nail puncture and they cost $25 total for all the tires.

I'm very pleased.

From what I have learned, the larger diameter the tire the better beads work. If you have 16" tires you might have a different experience. Beads can't fix an out of round tire nor a bent wheel!
Old 12-16-2021, 09:49 PM   #6

Centramatics

I have had them on a previous DP for 5 years and recently put them on the Omni. The dynamic balancing compensates for tire wear, mud or debris on the tires and they last years. 5 year warranty.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:37 AM   #7
chs

I went with Centramatic Balancers. Higher upfront cost but never need to be replaced.
https://www.centramatic.com/wheel-ba...ype=Light-Duty

Centramatic Wheel Balancer
Item# 400-408
Details: 1 Ton Dually Ford/Dodge/GM
Year of Vehicle: 2018
Type of Vehicle: E450 Class C chassis
Make of Vehicle: Ford $199.00 USD (set)

Centramatic Wheel Balancer
Item# 400-409
Details: 1 Ton Dually Ford/Dodge/GM
Year of Vehicle: 2018
Type of Vehicle: E450 Class C chassis
Make of Vehicle: Ford $209.00 USD (set)
Old 01-27-2022, 08:00 AM   #8

I replaced 4 of my 6 steel wheels with quality Alcoa alloy wheels, and also replaced all 6 tires with new Michelin Agilis CrossClimate. I was surprised to need as much as 4oz of wheel weights in places. The shop used stick-ons in hidden places for the Alcoa wheels and balancing beads for the steel ones.

Tags
tire