Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tire Dilemma

I have 6700miles on the tires that are on my Winnie they are Hankooks they are 2 yrs old and I have seen comments about Hankooks being not "up to snuff" .My question is how many have Hankook tires on their rigs and what has been your experience and your opinion of them.I run right up close on weight to max on my front and rear axles.I keep them at Frt 75# rear 80# and check them frequently.Cant find the tread that talks about upgrading to Michelins.I am not one to waste money but what do you think of replacing the Hankooks with the Michelins'I am going on a 8000 mile journey towards the end of July and want to do all I can to eliminate tire problems.Have been rving for almost 30 years and tire s are my biggest pain.What I do not know about tires would fill a good sized class a.That is why I am here posting this dilemma of mine.All thoughts and suggestions are muchly appreciated.If feasible financially and mechcanicaly I would even try the suggestion of going to 17 inch tire and rims
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #2

Dont know where your reading bad reviews. But Hankook has been in business for a long time. Very common truck tire. All I have read Hankook is one of the better tires on the market.

By saying two years old are you saying the tires are two years old by the DOT date code or the MH is two years old?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
I've put 10K+ on my 2018 Redhawk since I bought it new one year ago. Most of my trips are 1K miles or more at a time. Hankook's look brand new, no issues here!
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Dont know where your reading bad reviews. But Hankook has been in business for a long time. Very common truck tire. All I have read Hankook is one of the better tires on the market.

By saying two years old are you saying the tires are two years old by the DOT date code or the MH is two years old?
The MH is 2 years old.....i have looked for dot and found it but could not understand their code.I am concerned with the weight being so close to design criteria.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
NXR

Have you ever perused http://www.rvtiresafety.net ? Lots of good info there.

Ray
Old 05-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
the tires sold in the US are governed by our rules and regs. The rating on them are as good as any other tire. Stay within the limits as you would any other tire. Most likely if you're that close to their max your probably near or over the axle rating also.

I switched to the Michelin but only after there was substantial wear on the OEM continental, they seem to me to ride better.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
PS.... a tire minder system would be probably a better spend than new tires to replace tires that have less then 10k and under 5 years old.

tire minder has saved me several times
Old 05-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #8

I've never had a problem replacing original equipment tires with Michelins. When the Continentals on my Navion are done, I'll replace them with Michelins. Just my personal preference.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegetit View Post
The MH is 2 years old.....i have looked for dot and found it but could not understand their code.I am concerned with the weight being so close to design criteria.
The four number tire date code is standard on all tires sold in North America , imported or not, also required is country of origin .
I had 2 sets of Hankook tires on my mini van , both sets performed well on wet and snow covered roads but the tread wear out on the second set was excessive; didn't come close to their rating. Both set made in China .
New Michelin tires on the van . Made in Canada in the last six months.
EDIT: Note this photo is just for the code break down , not of my tires.
14 th week of 2004.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	date-code-.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	245972  
Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #10

Tires are the same ratings as Michelin. I would just keep them pressure and they will be ok. Both are 10 ply.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #11

I haven't heard anything negative about them and the new ambulances are showing up with them and they are also now on the state contract for purchase.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:26 AM   #12

If there are no obvious problems, I am also of the opinion that it make economical sense to run the tires until they need replacement. I did that on my first Sprinter with OEM Continental tires and had Michelin LTX M/S2 tires installed all around. Much improvement in all aspects. Our new Navion (Sprinter) also came with Continental Vanco tires and the first 6,000 miles were awful. The wheel shake was so bad it nearly crippled my hands. Three attempts to balance the wheels failed; the last at the Mercedes Dealer. Remembering how nicely the Michelins rode, I told the tech to fit them on the front wheels. Remarkable difference. I had the rear tires replaced as well. The last coast to coast trip was wonderful and worth the expense. I put the old tires up on Craig's List just to get them out of the way. No regrets. Everyone that I have spoken to who have Hankook tires have not said anything negative and that would be both passenger and commercial vehicles. If your tires aren't giving you grief, put the money in a rainy day fund for when you do need new tires.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #13

I know I'm swimming against the current. But I would never buy Michelin tires for my RV. I have been looking at tires on RVs for years. Many of the Michelin tires I have observed develop side wall cracks within 5 years.
edenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenns View Post
I know I'm swimming against the current. But I would never buy Michelin tires for my RV. I have been looking at tires on RVs for years. Many of the Michelin tires I have observed develop side wall cracks within 5 years.
How long do you keep the same tires on your RV? What brand of tire do you have on your RV? It is a generally accepted fact that RV tires age-out (not wear-out) at 5 to 6 years after date-of-manufacture. I have seen what damage a tire blow-out or tread separation can do to a RV and the repair costs can exceed the cost of a new set of tires. Not to mention front tire blow-outs on class A RVs, some end up going off the road or taking some other vehicle out.