Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2021, 04:31 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Michelin recommends sehttps://www.irv2.com/forums/images/editor/separator.giftting tire pressure based on axle loads. Likewise, Roger Marble, aka:Tireman9, also recommends setting tire pressure based on loads on his rvtiresafety.net site.
The USTMA does not disagree until you get below vehicle recommendations.

Inflation pressure recommendations may also be determined based on the tire manufacturer’s specifications, which define the amount of inflation pressure necessary to carry a given load. These inflation pressures may differ from those found on the vehicle tire placard or certification label. However, never use inflation pressures lower than specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on the tire sidewall.

REF: page #44 in the link below.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...uckTires_0.pdf
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #72

As an above average driver, I’ll set the tire pressures for my coach using 4 corner weights and the load and inflation tables. Average and below average drivers may be best served by following the placard pressures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D1BB0C3-3C9B-4034-8B9B-58F642AD3F8D.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	340918  
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:10 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
As an above average driver, I’ll set the tire pressures for my coach using 4 corner weights and the load and inflation tables. Average and below average drivers may be best served by following the placard pressures.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #74

Example of a tire rules making committee document. It will show you a little bit about how rules are made/changed.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rying-capacity

Click image for larger version

Name:	001 roger .jpg
Views:	25
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	340967

I’d like to see a document that will substantiate that information?

It would not seem likely that a tire expert would disagree with their own industry standards.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:10 PM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Michelin, Toyo, Good Year, etc publish tire inflation guides that are likely to include a reserve. Far be it from me to second guess something they publish and add extra inflation to account for intangibles.

Tires are tested at given weights and pressures. It determines sidewall flex, contact area (traction and braking), etc so why would anyone second guess them? Or want to?
Old 08-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Michelin, Toyo, Good Year, etc publish tire inflation guides that are likely to include a reserve. Far be it from me to second guess something they publish and add extra inflation to account for intangibles.

Tires are tested at given weights and pressures. It determines sidewall flex, contact area (traction and braking), etc so why would anyone second guess them? Or want to?
https://www.toyotires.com/media/1496...ntenance_0.pdf
Old 08-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Example of a tire rules making committee document. It will show you a little bit about how rules are made/changed.

Attachment 340967

It would not seem likely that a tire expert would disagree with their own industry standards.
We can only try to explain how load and inflation tables work. Each individual will need to understand it on their own. The loads and pressures apply to all vehicles, RV’s are not special.

Roger appears to disagree with your interpretation of an industry standard. RV manufacturers don’t know any more about tires than they do about toilets or air conditioners. They just assemble components and in many cases, they don’t do a very good job of that.

Without knowing axle weights, inflating to placard pressure is an uninformed decision. Many folks choose that option.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post

Attachment 340967

Don't have documentation, but for many years I presented the "Coach Suspension Seminars" at the FMCA Conventions.

I always asked -- show of hands: many of you have axle weights on your coach/how many of you have individual wheel position weights on your coach?

A very small percent of those in attendance had weighted their coaches. And, from comments, only a small percent even knew it was important.

To the point where I really pushed RVSEF who did the individual wheel position weights at the FMCA Conventions to set up a sign up sheet outside my seminars.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:04 AM   #79

I’m a study of tire regulations and standards that pave the way for industry wide safe maintenance and operations. My objective is to use the vast library of information I’ve gathered, to help consumers know and practice the ways things are supposed to happen, or be done to insure their tire knowledge is supported by existing standards and not to make unwise decisions about their tire safety methods.

The first thing to learn about your tires is; who gets to select them. The governing body gives vehicle manufacturers the sole responsibility for Original Equipment tire selections and their fitments. The vehicle manufacturers are directed by the same standards to set recommended cold inflation pressures for all tires they install on a vehicle and to insure those inflation pressures are appropriate for that vehicle. It’s cut and dried with no aftermarket options to lower those minimum standards set by the vehicle manufacturer.

There is a lot of confusion about large commercial tires used on motor homes. Many of those large tire manufacturers follow the commercial tire regulations (FMCSA) and they are not applicable with tires fitted to any vehicle with a final stage certification used for tires fitted in accordance with FMVSS standards.

Optional tire inflation pressures are those set anywhere above what has been recommended and tire sidewall max. The industry wide standard for installing “plus sized” tires is to insure that at the very minimum they MUST provide a load capacity equal to or greater than what the OE tires provide. There are other procedures the installer should insure. The most important is setting a new cold inflation pressure for those plus sized tires.

Tire load and inflation charts are not recommendations. In their creation they were a tool to be used by vehicle manufacturers when setting OE tire recommended cold inflation pressures. They are very important to installers of plus sized tires for that same reason. Tire designated sizes all have individual standardized (TRA) load inflation charts.

That’s it folks, see ya in the next big tire pressure debate.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #80

Glad that’s cleared up.

I’ll be careful to ensure that my tires are inflated to at least the minimum recommended pressures indicated in the load and inflation table provided by the manufacturer of the tires, based on the known 4-corner weights of the coach.

I can also assure everyone that I did insure the coach.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
It sounds like "It Depends" is the watchword of the day. Who picks the tires is not that important. I doubt they sit and agonize over each particular brand. More likely the tires size are specified by the engineer to carry a specific load and the purchasing office sends out a RFP to everyone who supplies tires. The lowest bid will likely be the tire selected.

It is sort of like picking oil or gasoline or diesel. Many brands but the bottom line is they all must meet or exceed a given standard. He who supplies the fuel to the bidder is the lowest.

Tags
tire, tire pressure, weight