Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #29

No one is suggesting that a tire pressure monitor system is a substitute for maintaining your tires and doing visual inspections. Plus you can't be doing visual inspections when you're rolling down the road and run over a nail that causes a slow leak. Many years ago my parents were driving their motorhome back home, developed a slow leak on an inner dually, and it ended up blowing up on them. If they'd had a TPMS they would have noticed the tire going down, and been able to pull over before it blew up. But back then it wasn't even available.
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2021, 12:44 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Don't need a TPMS if you monitor wear, condition and pressure. 70+ years without one.
I don't need seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, or the stupid ejection seat I flew with either, using that logic. However,...
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:48 PM   #31

There were times I wished I had a 0-0 seat in my Fleetwood Excursion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I don't need seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, or the stupid ejection seat I flew with either, using that logic. However,...
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:39 PM   #32

Excel Owners Club
During our first out-of-state trip shortly after we purchase our F-450 and trailer, we picked up a large screw in the inside dual on the truck's passenger side. At each stop for a rest, checking the tire's temperature with a infrared temperature gun didn't indicate a problem. After overnighting at an RV park, I checked the tire pressure in all tires that morning and the afore mentioned tire was flat. It being a Sunday, the only place open was a truck stop nearby. The large screw was obvious and the tech tested the condition of the tire by airing it up. A large bulge appeared on the side of the tire indicating that the day before it had been flat long enough to ruin the tire. He didn't stock my tire size so we had him put on the spare and drove the next 250 miles without a spare. The cost of the new tire was more than a TPMS. I had a tire replacement agreement that covered the cost of new tire and I used the money for a TPMS. I bought a TireMinder and it works fine. Haven't had a flat or even a low tire pressure alarm. It's one of those, "If I have it, I won't need it. If I don't have it, I will need it." I guess all the highway FOD knows better than to mess with my tires now.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickeralman View Post
Has anyone used add-on tire pressure monitors, the type that screw on the valve stem. I would like to hear any comments and recommended makes of TPM.
Be sure you switch to metal valve stems. I learned the hard way.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:50 PM   #34

My MH sat for 3 years after my Dad had a stroke and could no longer take it out or do any maintenance. I picked it up in Ohio to drive back to Georgia. In the TN mountains my EEZ RV notified me of hot brakes on the right rear. I stopped for while and let them cool before limping to a truck stop. I was able to have the dragging brake caliper on the right rear replaced after a 36 hour wait.

We proceeded to head south after the repair. We had just gotten through Atlanta and the EEZ RV warned me of hot brakes on the left front. This time we had it towed to a Chevy dealer for more work.

I'm pretty sure if I hadn't had the TPMS the MH home would have burnt to the ground or when I went to get off at an exit I would blown through the light killing us and anyone in the way. When brakes get hot you have very little braking.

I won't ever drive without a TPMS after this experience.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #35

TST with color monitor on the MH and Toad. i’m not too worried about the coach tires but the little car behind gets a beating on the nice roads we have. Not sure I would feel it up front if one of toad’s wheel would go flat. Having constant tire monitoring is a plus
Pol6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:04 AM   #36

Before TPMS I spent much time trying to get inner and outer duals as close as possible pressure wise, almost bought a dual tire inflator. TPMS has shown me that tire pressure and temperature is all over the place. The outer dual in direct sun can be waaaay higher than the inner dual. So now when I inflate tires I do close enough.

Left a parking lot in the morning and did a few thing and went to NASA in GA. Left later in the day and the monitor alerted me rear inside dual (is it ever the outside dual?) was very low. Would have never noticed and drove a couple hundred miles on a low tire.

The highest repair bill I have seen for a catastrophic tire failure was $12,000!
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Before TPMS I spent much time trying to get inner and outer duals as close as possible pressure wise, almost bought a dual tire inflator. TPMS has shown me that tire pressure and temperature is all over the place. The outer dual in direct sun can be waaaay higher than the inner dual. So now when I inflate tires I do close enough.

Left a parking lot in the morning and did a few thing and went to NASA in GA. Left later in the day and the monitor alerted me rear inside dual (is it ever the outside dual?) was very low. Would have never noticed and drove a couple hundred miles on a low tire.

The highest repair bill I have seen for a catastrophic tire failure was $12,000!
We first got our tire monitors, and the afternoon before a trip I aired all six tires up to 82, the recommended pressure for our little rig. I checked the monitor, and all were in the 81.5 to 82.5 range. Very good

The next morning when we were leaving the tires in the sun that had been in the shade the afternoon before were 84 psi. And the tires in the shade that had been in the sun the afternoon before were at 80 psi.

Then, on the road, like you say, they were all over the place. I decided right then that we tend to overthink stuff like this. LOL

I don't even mount my monitor where I can see it anymore. If something gets out of whack, it'll tell me.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:27 AM   #38

I use TST with cap sensors on our toad. On my 32 ft class C motorhome we did not need the repeater(extender).
I then added a cap sensor to our spare tire, and pass through sensors to our inside rears. Have not added sensors to the fronts and outside rears yet because of clearance problems with the wheel covers and tire stems. Replacement stems are on hand and eventually I will have the stems replaced or the four wheels replaced with Aluminm wheels that won’t use wheel covers.
I removed the security cover from the cap sensors at the first battery change because the security cover o-rings were falling apart. I ordered replacement o-rings from TST. They called me to verify which generation of cap sensors I had, thought we had it all worked out but the o-rings they sent would not fit.
As others stated, the TST monitor is barely viewable using sunglasses, but if programmed correctly for your application will get your attention if a pressure or temperature condition occurs.
Offramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:42 PM   #39

I wanted to test the new TPMS I just put on. I was reading the instructions and it said that it may not alarm immediately if you have a sudden blowout. But within a couple seconds after I take a sensor off it starts alarming. Then it stops alarming literally about a second after I put it back on. It has sort of an urgent alarm initially, then after a minute or so passes it goes to a slower beep. That's kind of nice if you need to take a while to pull over to check things, so you're not hearing that urgent beep constantly, or having to take your eyes off the road to shut it off if driving alone.
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:54 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
ByeTheWay;
Been using TPMS for 15 years. Took a personal survey of what the over the road semi's were using. Pressure Pro came out on top. They do cost more, but they work 24/7. I believe they are the only one's that will integrate into Silver Leaf monitoring system.[/QUOTE]

+1 for Pressure Pro.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
All we really need are food, clothing, and shelter. Everything else is just fluff

I really appreciate the Fluff !!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2021, 08:00 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hclarkx View Post
Be sure you switch to metal valve stems. I learned the hard way.

Pressure Pro specifies brass.

Tags
monitor, tire pressure