Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Another vote for Eez system!
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2021, 04:16 PM   #16

You will get a lot more useful information if you search on Amazon for these. Then you will be able to read the reviews by customers and get an idea as to which work the best.
For my part I have the tire pressure monitors on my sedan, pickup, and SUV and they provide very little if any benefit. If I am losing tire pressure quickly it is obvious at a glance at the sidewall of the tire. If I have a blow-out it is also obvious that the tire has failed. Even with a slow leak of air within 1-2 days the loss of tire pressure is easy to see. I do not need to know that it was at 40 PSI and then it is at 35 PSI as regardless I will be taking the car to a tire shop to have the tire checked out.

The feds mandated tire pressure sensors as a way to reduce gas consumption and nothing more.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calson View Post
You will get a lot more useful information if you search on Amazon for these. Then you will be able to read the reviews by customers and get an idea as to which work the best.
For my part I have the tire pressure monitors on my sedan, pickup, and SUV and they provide very little if any benefit. If I am losing tire pressure quickly it is obvious at a glance at the sidewall of the tire. If I have a blow-out it is also obvious that the tire has failed. Even with a slow leak of air within 1-2 days the loss of tire pressure is easy to see. I do not need to know that it was at 40 PSI and then it is at 35 PSI as regardless I will be taking the car to a tire shop to have the tire checked out.

The feds mandated tire pressure sensors as a way to reduce gas consumption and nothing more.
I don't have a tire pressure monitor yet on my motorhome, but I'm looking at them. I do have them built in on my 2018 RAM, and it is very handy. I don't always walk around the truck before driving it, and you can't always tell right away how low the tire is just by looking at it. In fact about a week ago I got in the truck and as soon as I started it the right front tire alarmed. It was about 7 PSI low. I got out and checked it, and sure enough it had a nail in it. So I aired it up and drove it to have the tire plugged ( I put soapy water on it and it was a very slow leak).

Another time I had been up in the mountains with on a very cold snowy night, and as I came down the alarm went off for all four tires. I was able to stop at the base of the mountain and air up the tires, that were responding to the cold temperatures in the area. if I hadn't had the monitor I might have gotten on the freeway with the low tires.

So I don't think it's just something that was mandated for MPG, I think it's a great idea. I just haven't been sure about add-on monitors, but after reading about them I think they'll be safe, so I'm going to order some soon. Probably won't get the pass through, I think I'll just get the caps. Seems like they would be less likely to lose air.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Not really. It was mandated as a safety issue to prevent blowouts due to overheating of an undetected low tire and possible rollover. Fuel economy was certainly a byproduct of the mandate.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #19

We use EEZTire and have had good luck. Been using them about three years.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #20

Tire pressure monitors

We bought the TireMinder A1A for our 6 tire rig and then a few years later we finally got a toad and just added 4 more sensors. It has worked perfectly...well, we do get a few false positives when we come off the interstate and after traveling a couple of miles the alarm goes off saying we’re leaking air. But I believe it’s just the tires cooling off and the pressure returning to normal.

And yes, great peace of mind when traveling cross country.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:18 PM   #21

I ordered a solar TPMS on New Year's Day and got it this afternoon. It's called Easesuper, but I've seen other brands that look like basically the same thing. They had it marked down to $125 and it had good reviews.

After playing around with it and figuring out how to program it, it really only took a few minutes to get installed. I was surprised, I took the pressures immediately before I installed it, and each cap that I installed read exactly the same pressure that my trusty gauge did.

Shuts off automatically when it doesn't feel vibrations, then turns back on automatically when it feels vibrations. Only negative is if you wear polarized sunglasses the display disappears. Stays on the dash with a reusable sticky pad, and can also charge via USB. Comes with a repeater, but apparently I don't need it. Probably for a trailer or fifth wheel.

Going to be nice not having to go around to every tire to check the pressure every time I take off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210104_165416.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	313483   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210104_165353.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	313484  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210104_165335.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	313485  
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:28 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeguy View Post
TST on coach and toad, wouldn't feel comfortable traveling without them.
Me too. I'd sooner travel without fuel.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickeralman View Post
Has anyone used add-on tire pressure monitors, the type that screw on the valve stem. I would like to hear any comments and recommended makes of TPM.

Been using TPMS for 15 years. Took a personal survey of what the over the road semi's were using. Pressure Pro came out on top. They do cost more, but they work 24/7. I believe they are the only one's that will integrate into Silver Leaf monitoring system.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:25 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't need a TPMS if you monitor wear, condition and pressure. 70+ years without one.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Don't need a TPMS if you monitor wear, condition and pressure. 70+ years without one.

I feel safer with them and they monitor all my tire's pressure every few seconds.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Come to think of it, I went 70+ years without one too, so I don't need one. It's just another tool that may, or may not, save me some grief in the future.

All we really need are food, clothing, and shelter. Everything else is just fluff
Old 01-05-2021, 05:57 AM   #27

I've had flats on my travel trailers and did not know it until someone passed me by and waved toward the back of my trailer. My tow dolly also had a blowout and I did not realize what the sound was for a while. In both cases I could have avoided unnecessary damage to by TT and tow dolly if I'd had a TPMS. The cheapo I bought on amazon seems to work very well and was fairly inexpensive.

I always monitor my tire wear and am pretty OCD about tire pressure. So this device saves me the 5-10 min per trip to check tire pressures (my tow vehicle already has a TPMS system).

I come from the days before seat belts, air bags, hood crush hooks and crumple zone designs. Having kissed a dashboard in a front end crash when I was young, I'd never drive a car without these key safety features.

Quote:
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:20 AM   #28

….65+ years with life insurance--still haven't used it but think my family appreciated it, I know I did....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, tire pressure