Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #169

Tireman9 said: "Why not simply turn on your TPM system and after a few minutes you have pressure readings and would know if you need to add air."

I wish I could do that but I have a TST-507 system and it will just about always read 400+ to 500+ pounds and sound a false high pressure alert in each tire until I get aways down the road ( unless I'm boondocking out in the middle woods by myself). So I have to manually check the cold pressures before I depart. If I had a dangerously low pressure situation my TST-507 system would not tell me until I might have driven 3-5 miles and then I have to find a safe spot to pull over and add air.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #170

Have you called TST ? I would either get that system fixed or get a different system. That one is a pain.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #171

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Have you called TST ? I would either get that system fixed or get a different system. That one is a pain.
I agree. I've got the same system and there is no need to wait for it to become accurate. As soon as it syncs to the sending units (which takes a few minutes) the tire pressures shown are accurate. Or rather, they are their normal 2 or 3 psi off.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Yes, I called TST. Even talked to Mike B high up in the TST chain. Was told to either "buy new" again or live with it. They know what causes the problem with their own systems ( got the facts from their own lead technical person Jim G), but TST won't stand behind their system. They know exactly how they broke the systems. I bought my TST system after they introduced the design change that breaks the system ( incompatible interference from their firmware change) but as I got old inventory in the transition period I'm outta luck. Guess they figure the number of affected customers / systems isn't worth their time. I agree, it is a pain and could be a dangerous safety issue depending on when the system displays the false alarms causing it to ignore true conditions.
TXduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:51 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXduo View Post
Yes, I called TST. Even talked to Mike B high up in the TST chain. Was told to either "buy new" again or live with it. They know what causes the problem with their own systems ( got the facts from their own lead technical person Jim G), but TST won't stand behind their system. They know exactly how they broke the systems. I bought my TST system after they introduced the design change that breaks the system ( incompatible interference from their firmware change) but as I got old inventory in the transition period I'm outta luck. Guess they figure the number of affected customers / systems isn't worth their time. I agree, it is a pain and could be a dangerous safety issue depending on when the system displays the false alarms causing it to ignore true conditions.

I would be badmouthing them on every RV and truck forum in the country until they sent me a new system to shut me up. But that is just me. We have the power today.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:00 AM   #174

Freightliner Owners Club
tireman9 my particular unit when it has been sitting for long periods will only register after movement when it wakes up if you will. And honestly it could be because I am old and have always checked tires manually. maybe it is purely old habit, and I am set in my ways LOL.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
I would be badmouthing them on every RV and truck forum in the country until they sent me a new system to shut me up. But that is just me. We have the power today.
I am not "bad-mouthing" TST. Simply stating facts that I can easily demonstrate as I did with pictures on post #78 of this thread. TST won't send anything to fix my system unless I BUY IT NEW AGAIN from them and they expect me to pay their shipping cost too! And if I must buy it new again I could buy it cheaper from an on-line retailer than the price Mike B of TST quoted me. I have my original purchase receipt showing I bought my TST-507 system (monitor, repeater, and 12 sensors) but they will not stand behind their product they know they broke. As TST demands I buy new again, I may prefer to buy a good system from a company that will stand behind their product, or maybe I should look at these cheaper throw away systems. YMMV with a new TST system. Just presenting the undisputable facts.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #176

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the EEZRV the previous owner had. He only had sensors on his toad, so I ordered 6 more @ $50 each. I got the pass through type. Had a hell of a time getting them on the outside duals. Had to use a couple 90 and 45 degree stem extensions. They work fine though. The pass through add a lot of bulk to it, but my first trip was from 29 degrees in Minnesota to nearly 100 at the mexican border. Last two days I had to stop 4 times and let air out. 90 PSI in the morning, 125 by late afternoon.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #177

Commercial Member

Quote:
Tireman9 said: "Why not simply turn on your TPM system and after a few minutes you have pressure readings and would know if you need to add air."

I wish I could do that but I have a TST-507 system and it will just about always read 400+ to 500+ pounds and sound a false high pressure alert in each tire until I get aways down the road ( unless I'm boondocking out in the middle woods by myself). So I have to manually check the cold pressures before I depart. If I had a dangerously low pressure situation my TST-507 system would not tell me until I might have driven 3-5 miles and then I have to find a safe spot to pull over and add air.

I am running TST INTERNAL sensors and TireTraker External as I continue my long term comparison. I have also run TST external but have never had the false signal problems from either brand. I suggest you contact TST. "400+" 400 psi? Have you reprogrammed the TST system starting from scratch? Do you get a 400 psi reading from every sensor?
Old 02-05-2021, 12:41 PM   #178

I will quote the response from TST:

"What happens is the sensors will transmit through the newer repeater and that signal now has the firmware update. The older displays do not know how to interpret the updated signals when they receive them. They then display 200-600+ PSI. There is no way to update the firmware" ...

So TST knows they introduced a design change that broke the installed user base. I don't know if it was planned systemic obsolescence or something else, but the end result is what was a working system no longer functions when in the vicinity of systems with the design change, and TST's response is to just buy new again. They will NOT stand behind their existing customer base. When the system is on the road and another TST-507 system isn't passing by in either direction, or parked at a fuel stop, etc, my system still works as it should. The problem is the new installed base is growing and thus breaks the installed user base more often as the chances of getting in the vicinity of another system increases. When the government changed the TV broadcast standards, they supported the older installed base with coupons that covered the cost of a new adapter. When Apple slowed down older phones they lost a $27,000,000 class action suit. HP got caught and fined for their printer ink/toner chip process. There are many other examples. TST appears to not care.

TST says they introduced the design change in 2015 and I bought my system in 2016. If I bought new TST today it would probably work. I do not know what problems (or future problems) new systems might encounter.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:19 AM   #179

In response to Tireman9's question, while TST says the false alarms will display 200 to 600+ psi indications, what I personally see is the cap sensors on the toad display about 430 psi and the flow thru sensors on the coach display about 510 psi. It varies slightly from sensor to sensor for a reason I don't know, but I:m sure TST could explain how their algorithm fails.

On the positive side, my TST-507 system has a neat feature I call the "destination campground alert notification" where all the tire sensors start going off as I approach the campground giving me warning to prepare for the turn off and for DW to put her shoes on.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #180

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I will quote the response from TST:

"What happens is the sensors will transmit through the newer repeater and that signal now has the firmware update. The older displays do not know how to interpret the updated signals when they receive them. They then display 200-600+ PSI. There is no way to update the firmware" ...
I agree you are not intentionally badmouthing. It is just that what the truth is ... it is bad coming out of your mouth.

If it were me, this is what I would do.

1. Open new thread. Title it (TST 507 Mfg Defect: What would you do?) or something similar....

Then I would state VERY briefly the problem as you see and below the material facts of what TST 507 response was, and what they advised you to do, then conclude by asking others what would they do?

As they always say on the radio, then hang-up and listen.

2. I would order one of the cheaper units $50 - $120 bucks or so (may be a tad more if you need 12 sensors. Make sure it does EVERYTHING your existing one does plus more. Never heard of the campground feature though? We use Waze; so it would be of no benefit to us.

3. When I receive my new unit and it is working, I would pack up my TST 507 unit and demand a RMA for repair, if they do not provide, I would send it directed to the President of TST and explain what happen giving him links to this site and the new thread you created. If you provide links to this one; you must list the relevant post #'s accurately; so he may follow.

My belief, is you will eventually get what is needed for TST 507 unit to work. I didn't buy from them due to price, but I figured they had excellent customer service. If they don't fix this, then why do they even have customer service

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:02 AM   #181

Quote:
I am not "bad-mouthing" TST. Simply stating facts that I can easily demonstrate facts.

Possibly that is why you are sitting with a defective system and I likely would have a free replacement system by now! Old folks always said squeaky wheel gets the grease.

It starts with a written letter, not a phone call, not an email, not a text. Written letter with copy to file, sent return receipt requested.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #182

I have talked personally to VP National Sales director of TST, Mike Benson about this failure of the TST-507. That is the Mike B I've mentioned. He used to be quite active on iRV2 and other forums, and could even be silently monitoring this thread. But he has told me TST will NOT stand behind their system and for me to buy new again if I want to get rid of the false alarms. All I would like is to have the system I PAID FOR to work as it originally worked before TST made design changes to new systems that broke the existing installed systems. I don't desire a color monitor, the original system was easy to read. I even offered to eat the cost of installing a replacement monochrome monitor as they have apparently changed the wiring that is required for the units wired into the dash switched 12v. (I am not a fan of loose wires and adapters to get tripped up with.) When I worked in tech, we made sure to regression test changes to insure first we did no harm to the installed customer base, and if something did slip through the cracks we made sure to take affirmative corrective action. Apparently it is not so with the new TST company.

Tags
monitor, tire pressure