Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2021, 03:53 PM   #1

Tire question

When do the tires on a Class C RV need to be replaced?

I have always assumed that the "wear bars" on the tire are the proper indication as to when tires should be replaced. When the tread is down enough that the wear bars are flush with the tire tread then it is time to get new tires. We have almost 36,000 miles on the tires on our 2018 Winnebago Fuse but still have a fair amount of space left until the tire tread is that far down (or the wear bars are that far up?), so I assumed we still had some time left before I needed to get 6 new tires.

When I checked pricing for the tires the guy at the tire store said that I should not wait for the tire tread to get that low before replacing it on an RV. Of course he was not a disinterested advisor and was telling me to measure the tread depth and replace the tires when the tread is down to 4.5/32 of an inch. So I thought I would ask what others do to determine when tires need to be replaced. We may be taking a 2500 mile trip to look for a re-retirement home so this may be something I should do before our trip. Or perhaps it can wait until we return.

Just looking for some opinions. I want to keep us safe, but I also don't want to throw money away needlessly.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2021, 04:53 PM   #2

They usually recommend 6 to 7 years.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:34 PM   #3

Our Ontario MOT (DOT) website recommends replacing the tire from tread wear when the tires are between 3/32 and 4/32 " . Not waiting until the tire reaches 2/32", the treadwear indicators are level with the tread. At 2/32" the tires are legally bald in Ontario and cannot be used. There reasoning is that the tire loses a lot of traction and other characteristics. I would agree with your tire shop.
Age wise Michelin recommend that the tires be inspected annually by a reputable tire shop and replace by 10 years, even if lots of tread and no cracking.
The Michelin XPS rib tire that I had on the c-class lasted 8 years with no problems, when I took the tire covers of last spring, for the start of there 9 season, it was the end. They lasted another 15 miles, distance from my house to the tire shop, even the inside duals were cracked.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:50 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 3rd View Post
They usually recommend 6 to 7 years.
Who is "they"?
No tire manufacturer recommends that.
Michelin says to start having the tires professionally inspected every year starting at 5 years and absolutely replaced at 10
Here is the chart Michelin dealers go by.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210301_102325.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	326101  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:10 AM   #5

People on the forums. I know what Michelin says, but not all tires are Michelin. It's best to check with the manufacturer of the tires, about their use on RVs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Who is "they"?
No tire manufacturer recommends that.
Michelin says to start having the tires professionally inspected every year starting at 5 years and absolutely replaced at 10
Here is the chart Michelin dealers go by.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:12 AM   #6

Perhaps I should have included more information about the tires in my post.

The tires are Hankook and are the original tires that were on the RV when we bought it 2 1/2 years ago. The chassis is a 2018 Ford Transit and so the tires are probably about 3-4 years old. They currently have about 36,000 miles on them and although I have not actually measured the tread depth I guess it is about 5/32 of an inch, based on how much tread depth there is compared to the location of the wear bars. I will go and actually measure the depth later today.

There are no cracks that I can see and the tires seem to be in very good shape other than their mileage, and they hold the air pressure without leaks. I know I will have to replace them soon, but am wondering if I should do that before or after a planned 2500 mile trip.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:26 AM   #7

Note those recommendations for unmounting and internal inspection every year after 7 years is not practical from a cost point of view if you are paying someone to do it.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Aside from the warranty info, this is what I could find for auto and truck tires. Looks like Hankook says to check them as they go and plan on replacing around 10 years from manufacturing date.

https://www.tireindustry.org/sites/d...es/Hankook.pdf

In general, most RV owners age out their tires before they wear them out. This is a pretty well debated topic on the forums, some swear by xxx years, others tell of driving well over the 10 year mark there and swear they are as good as new.

FWIW, my personal line of thinking is it’s cheaper to replace tires then deal with blowout damage and or a wreck. I just replaced 7 year old Michelin’s this week (about 27k on the tires) that were starting to have a fair amount of sidewall cracking. Still “acceptable” per the manufacturer guidelines, but not per mine.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:32 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Follow on, looks like Hankook says 2/32 is “worn out” from a warranty standpoint.

https://www.hankooktire.com/us/files...R_Warranty.pdf
Old 04-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #10

AJMike,

Based on what you shared.....

- 36,000 miles
- 3 to 4 years old
- no cracking on the sidewalls or in-between the threads
- nowhere near the wear marks
- this for a Fuse, not a heavy 30 foot E450 with 3 heavy slide-outs
- brand is Hankook

And referencing my own experience

- 38,000 miles
- 14 years old (garaged keeps them like new)
- just starting to show micro-cracking
- this is for an E350, 24 foot long with no slide outs
- brand is Michelin LTX (14 years old)

I am replacing the tires in a few weeks, will be buying Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 112/115R because of our good experience with our original Michelin LTX.

I strongly advise to keep what you have and revaluate in another 3 years or when the odometer hits 60,000 miles......unless you can't sleep well at night over the decision to let it ride.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
AJMike,

Based on what you shared.....

- 36,000 miles
- 3 to 4 years old
- no cracking on the sidewalls or in-between the threads
- this for a Fuse, not a heavy 30 foot E450 with 3 heavy slide-outs
- brand is Hankook

And referencing my own experience

- 38,000 miles
- 14 years old (garaged keeps them like new)
- just starting to show micro-cracking
- this is for an E350, 24 foot long with no slide outs
- brand is Michelin LTX (14 years old)

I am replacing the tires in a few weeks, will be buying Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 112/115R because of our good experience with our original Michelin LTX.

I strongly advise to keep what you have and revaluate in another 3 years or when the odometer hits 60,000 miles......unless you can't sleep well at night over the decision to let it ride.
We put a lot of miles on our RV. The 36,000 miles we currently have are all from the last 2 1/2 years, except for the 1800 miles that were on the RV when we bought it. The remaining time is my guess as to how long the tires sat on the Ford chassis while Winnebago did the coach build and then the time it sat on the dealer's lot.

At the rate we put mileage on the unit I expect we would have to replace them within the next year or so. I can not imagine that the tires would last 70,000 miles.

Our local Costco sells Michelin tires in the right size for our Fuse, but they will not install them and no one locally seems to want to install them unless they sell the tires themselves, so I may end up just replacing them with Hankooks. I have been relatively satisfied with the Hankooks that came on the RV.

Tags
tire