Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2021, 12:13 AM   #1

Tire valve stems and extenders.....

Which do you prefer? Metal valve stem extenders, or the flexible braided type that bolt on to your rim?

I've got a couple of RVs (Class C). On the dually rear tires, the inner tire needs some sort of extension to be accessible. The valve stems out of my tires is metal (as opposed to rubber). On one of my RVs, it has a straight metal extender that is probably 6-7 inches long. This is easily accessible for checking air pressure or adding air. It seems pretty solid/stable, but I do imagine that when driving down the freeway at 65mph the force on these stems whirling around could be significant.

I recently had one such tire have a flat on the inner rear dually while sitting in the storage yard. When I noticed and went to fill it with air, the valve stem pretty much just fell off into my hand. So I brought that tire to the tire store to have them check the tire (which was fine) and put on a new valve stem and extender. But this time, when they put on the extender they used a flexible braided type of extender like in this picture:

Personally, I don't really like how these look. And I imagine that over time they must scratch (and then rust) the rim where it is connected. What do others think about these type of flexible extenders? It probably does provide better support for the stem when driving down the freeway, but I just don't really like how they look.

One of my other RVs is due for new tires and I'm bringing it in next week. I called to order my tires and spoke with the salesman about extenders. He says that "everyone" is getting away from the straight metal extenders in favor of the flexible braided type of extenders. Is this true? What type of extenders do YOU have on your inner dually, and what do you think is most common these days?

Have you had good/bad experiences with long straight metal extenders or flexible braided extenders?

Thanks!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2021, 12:54 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No extenders.
Long dually one piece stems.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:15 AM   #3

One piece metal stems are the way to go. I had multiple issues until I replaced mine with a kit from:

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...lly-valve-kits

Now, my stems are very stable, and routine pressure checks and inflation tasks are easy.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:40 AM   #4

You'll have endless problems with extenders and I'll third the recommendation for the one-piece stems. The only downside is that you lose 'any wheel - any position' flexibility but it's a worthwhile trade-off.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:00 AM   #5

I had two inside dual extenders cause valve stem failure on our coach after we bought it. Expensive lesson.
What happens is that the extender causes the regular valve stem to fail where the threads end due to the added weight of the extension vibrating.
Now just have longer stems and valve tools that have straight connectors for adding air or checking pressure.
Not a failure in ten years.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:05 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a solid metal extender about 6 inches in length. I also use the rubber oval insert that fits snug inside the oval hole in the rim. It keeps it solid in place. I place my tpms on the end and it just clears the wheel covers. I think the rubber inserts were $30.00 for a pair. I did have to drill another hole for the stem because it was not perfectly centered in the opening. I have not had issues with it leaking.

https://www.shinyrv.com/product/valv...-wheels-vhrg4/

https://www.shinyrv.com/product/valv...d-stability-6/
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:18 AM   #7

I am another vote for no extenders, had them on a class c that i bought used learned the hard way.
Inner flat tire when extender failed.
Use the proper gauge and filler and no problems.
CapeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hmmm . . . . Never had an issue with the braided hose extenders. Installed them on the inner wheels with the strap that clips to the outer wheel oval hole over 5 years and 38k miles ago. Screw my TPMS sensor (TST Brand) to the end of the extender and off we go. Rotated the tires once a couple of years back and swapped the extenders to the new wheels put on the inside. No signs of any wear or issues then. If one does fail I expect it will be no different than the tire failing. My TPMS will give me fair warning if and when it does. Now the extension tubes on the outer tires, the 135 degree type, have given me trouble over the years. Replaced one because the metal extender wouldn't seal even after replacing the valve core. The other kept coming loose until I added a drop of Loctite to the threads.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #9

I have one piece stems that were put on by the previous owner. They work great, and I haven’t had any issues at all.

I’m due for new tires in a year or two. When I get new tires, will most tire shops have the one piece stems or is it something I will have to hunt around for?
MrMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeDave View Post
I am another vote for no extenders, had them on a class c that i bought used learned the hard way.
Inner flat tire when extender failed.
Use the proper gauge and filler and no problems.
I learned this lesson last night using extenders identical to the OP's pic. We were nine hours from home. It was the last day of a four week trip. Inner tire was shredded and extender was gone.

Luckily, we had a spare tire ready to go. It was around 8pm. Good Sam's was just awful. Waited almost two hours and they claimed they couldn't find anyone to help in-network and out-of-network. I did a quick Google search and the very first listing to come up was only 4-miles away. They showed up within 10 minutes and had us back on the road in less than an hour. Now I get to deal with getting Good Sam's to reimburse us for the repair.

I am definitely in the no extender group now. They are handy until they fail.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:12 AM   #11

There are rubber extenders and braided stainless extenders. The fancy braided extenders are stainless mesh over what may be cheap rubber hose!

I too have had issues with the stainless extenders and do not like them. But ran into an issue so now use them on the inner dual. But I have a TPMS system that I am confident will notify me of leakage. When I replace tires I will look at solid metal extenders.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
But I have a TPMS system that I am confident will notify me of leakage.
I also have a TPMS system that notifies me if any leakage. And when I was using extenders it was constantly notifying me of leakage

I could get it to stop for a while (maybe a few months at a time) if I fiddled with everything, just got tired of it.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
No extenders.
Long dually one piece stems.

With the Long dually one piece stems is there any need to brace/secure the end of the stem with something like this:

With a ~6" long dually stem and the wheel spinning like mad when going 65MPH, isn't there still a tremendous amount of stress on the stem due to centripetal force? Or are they 100% fine and you don't need to worry about this?

Thanks!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post
With the Long dually one piece stems is there any need to brace/secure the end of the stem with something like this:

With a ~6" long dually stem and the wheel spinning like mad when going 65MPH, isn't there still a tremendous amount of stress on the stem due to centripetal force? Or are they 100% fine and you don't need to worry about this?

Thanks!
Chris
I’m going to order some, just so there’s less stress on the inner extender. So far I haven’t had any problems, but these rubber stabilizer are cheap insurance.
SergioP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, tire, valve