Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2021, 03:18 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post
I need 4 new rear tires on the back of my Majestic 28a Class C (30').

I'm thinking about these:
https://www.bigotires.com/tires/sku/...00000001108143

Anyone have any feedback on them? What I like about them is that they are a notch up (load) from the 225-75-R16 115/112 tires that I had. Seems like load is one of the most important things (safety), right?

Chris
I agree Chris, but I guess I would want Big O to tell me who the parent company of "Wild Spirit" tires is. There are several well-known/trusted makers of the higher load rating tires there at the link provided in post #5.

As I understand it, there are a lot of things that are considered when calculating GVWRs and GAWRs but I have always thought my tires were a weak link (each of the 3 owners of my rig [including me] have blown an inside dual and not one tire was 6 yrs old.) In my case, the TPMS did not give any warning whatever ..... but, luckily, it ended up being almost a non-event. The original owner got to buy a new black tank from damage caused by the "flying" steel belt.

Just my $.02 of course.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #16

Which would you choose?

I just checked on my 2015 Thor Majestic 28a...The manufacturer specifies 225-75R16E 115/112R rated tires (per the inside driver door sticker specification).

I'm debating between these:

https://www.bigotires.com/tires/by-s...e%3A2257516%29
(which are a Q speed (99mph) rating vs R speed (106mph) rating....I think it's okay because the RV should NEVER be going that fast to begin with)
Cost: $458 for 4 rear tires installed (they have a special)

vs.

Cost: $685 for 4 rear tires installed

50% more cost, but at ~500lb/tire more load carrying capacity.
Does this make them a safer tire???

I'm torn... If the manufacturer is specifying the 115 load rating then is it really worth it (or advisable) to bump it up to the 121 load rating? Or is it just overkill?

Note: I do have other people (ie. family/etc) who use my RV somewhat frequently which makes safety a high priority for me. I'm leaning towards the heavier duty 121 load tire.

What would you do?
Chris
SJ-Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:54 AM   #17

Your tires are rated to carry the fully loaded RV.
If safety is a big concern, then you will never overload your chassis above max weight.
If you don't overload the chassis, the tires will never be overloaded.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:32 AM   #18

When I see a name like wild spirit it just smacks of china crap. Many people cheap out on the tires, I prefer to put reputable stuff between my vehicle and the road. I'll let other people be the beta tester.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:38 AM   #19

Quote:
I need 4 new rear tires on the back of my Majestic 28a Class C (30').

I'm thinking about these:

Anyone have any feedback on them? What I like about them is that they are a notch up (load) from the 225-75-R16 115/112 tires that I had. Seems like load is one of the most important things (safety), right?

Chris
Hi Chris,

Like I mentioned before, if you have the stock steel wheels from Ford or GM, the wheels are "stamped" into the steel, "Max 80 PSI". There are two categories of the extra load tires. One gets you there with 83psi, the other with 90psi. I would call the retailer and ask what the stated max psi is on the side-walls. If it says 90 psi, that means you need that much to increase your capability. Exceeding the rating of the steel wheels by 10psi is concerning. Exceeding by only 3psi less concerning. Find tires with the extra load at 83psi.

Regarding max speed ratings, I am with you on that. You would never get near 99 mph in a motor home so don't fret over that one.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #20
chs

You did not state (or I missed it) that your wanting to change the tires due to age or wear. That said, Watch this video on just that.

chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs View Post
You did not state (or I missed it) that your wanting to change the tires due to age or wear. That said, Watch this video on just that.

Our E350 chassis was manufactured in May 2007, with tires dated April 2007 that are still on the motor home. Our axle weight says we require 65psi in the 4 rear tires and 60 psi in the front tires. I run 3 psi extra just for "peace of mind". Our last big trip was a few years ago, in-part due to travelling abroad instead of RV road-trips.

Our rig is stored indoors, cool in summertime and warm in wintertime. There is "ZERO" rubber degradation in the sidewalls and in-between the threads, but we will be replacing them prior to our next big trip out west. I don't want to install new tires only to "age" unused in our garage. With COVID, we don't yet have travel plans.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"C"-Load rating is a 50-PSI Max Tire= 700+# LESS Capacity than a 121/ E-Load rATING (80-83PSI Max), so suspect there is confusion, and a C rated would give quick blowouts on a Class-C Ford or other chassis, but also is NOT recommended. TerminOlogy and definitions/ UNDERSTANDING are CRITICAL
Old 02-20-2021, 06:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
"C"-Load rating is a 50-PSI Max Tire= 700+# LESS Capacity than a 121/ E-Load rATING (80-83PSI Max), so suspect there is confusion, and a C rated would give quick blowouts on a Class-C Ford or other chassis, but also is NOT recommended. TerminOlogy and definitions/ UNDERSTANDING are CRITICAL
I think there is a lot of the confusion around "C" rated tires on Motorhomes. The "C" does not refer to Load Range, but rather "Commercial" and are a step above LT tires in terms of capacity. The tires I just installed on my class C are 225/75-16C Load range E, load index 121/120. So not an LT tire, not load range C, but rather a heavy capacity load range E. I hope this helps to clarify.
Gregors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #24

Quote:
I just checked on my 2015 Thor Majestic 28a...The manufacturer specifies 225-75R16E 115/112R rated tires (per the inside driver door sticker specification).

I'm debating between these:

https://www.bigotires.com/tires/by-s...e%3A2257516%29
(which are a Q speed (99mph) rating vs R speed (106mph) rating....I think it's okay because the RV should NEVER be going that fast to begin with)
Cost: $458 for 4 rear tires installed (they have a special)

vs.

Cost: $685 for 4 rear tires installed

50% more cost, but at ~500lb/tire more load carrying capacity.
Does this make them a safer tire???

I'm torn... If the manufacturer is specifying the 115 load rating then is it really worth it (or advisable) to bump it up to the 121 load rating? Or is it just overkill?

Note: I do have other people (ie. family/etc) who use my RV somewhat frequently which makes safety a high priority for me. I'm leaning towards the heavier duty 121 load tire.

What would you do?
Chris
I would stay away from those GY Wranglers. I just replaced the Wranglers on my Ram truck (30k miles and almost to the wear bars) and they were not a great tire. I just put Cooper Evolution HTs on and I think it's a much better tire.

For my 28 foot Class C, about a year ago I had the Michelins taken off, which were crack city, and had some Toyo Open Country HTs put on. I don't load the motorhome down, and usually don't tow, so I'm not worried about upgrading the load rating.

They handle and ride much better than the Michelins did, and I've put about a thousand miles on them and am super happy. Cost $977 out the door for all 6 tires, at a local independent shop I've used for years. In fact they install lot of tires for a large local RV dealership, and put these on a many of them

https://www.tires-easy.com/225-75-16...irecode/362220
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Hi Chris,

Like I mentioned before, if you have the stock steel wheels from Ford or GM, the wheels are "stamped" into the steel, "Max 80 PSI". There are two categories of the extra load tires. One gets you there with 83psi, the other with 90psi. I would call the retailer and ask what the stated max psi is on the side-walls. If it says 90 psi, that means you need that much to increase your capability. Exceeding the rating of the steel wheels by 10psi is concerning. Exceeding by only 3psi less concerning. Find tires with the extra load at 83psi.

Regarding max speed ratings, I am with you on that. You would never get near 99 mph in a motor home so don't fret over that one.

That is a VERY important consideration (the rim specs themselves) that I had not considered. Thanks for your wisdom and sharing!

I'm starting to feel better about just putting on LT tires with a 115/112 load rating as that is what is specified by the manufacturer. Because of THEIR liability (...and the tire company's liability) I have to believe that there is a reasonable "safety buffer" in both the manufacturer recommendation AND the tire specification.

Thanks all for your feedback!
Chris
SJ-Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #26

Quote:
That is a VERY important consideration (the rim specs themselves) that I had not considered. Thanks for your wisdom and sharing!

I'm starting to feel better about just putting on LT tires with a 115/112 load rating as that is what is specified by the manufacturer. Because of THEIR liability (...and the tire company's liability) I have to believe that there is a reasonable "safety buffer" in both the manufacturer recommendation AND the tire specification.

Chris

This site advocates a larger wheel and tire for Ford Class C coaches. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge from this group. Has anybody heard of, or tried, this?

https://ricksontruckwheels.com/wheels-ford-e350450.php
AZ520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:33 AM   #27

Quote:

Chris
Hi Chris,

You mentioned two things that has me wondering if you should consider those higher-rated tires.

1) You loan out your motor home to other family members
2) Your Majestic is 30 feet long

#1 is most concerning.
You are not controlling how they load the rig, nor how they are maintaining the tire pressure. What if a rear tire develops a slow leak? The mated tire is more susceptible to a blow-out.

#2 is an issue to me depending on your wheel base and depending on the quantity of slide outs along with their location. Having actual axle weigh-in numbers during a trip with people and all considered, would help make a better educated decision.

I have seen class Cs with as many as 3 slide outs. Each one adds between 400 and 600 pounds. A full length slide out might weigh less than two standard sized ones along the same wall.

Having a slide out (even if only one) located behind the rear axle is also a reason to consider the higher-rated tires. Placing a 500 pound slide out directly over the rear axle is 500 extra pounds on that pair of tires. Placing a 500 pound slide out behind the rear axle adds a whole lot more. Using the term from current events, "It's about the science". Actually it's physics. Tires have always been an Achilles heel in class Cs when you get into the 30 foot length with slide outs.

If your fully-loaded rig has some load margin for the tires, then I would say it is wise to avoid higher-load tires. I assume the tire side walls are made stronger which will naturally make for a rougher ride. My own rule of thumb is that if your tires require less than the full 80 psi, then you have adequate margin.

As I mentioned earlier, I would consider a commercial grade "E" rated tire that handles the extra load at 83 psi, not 90 psi. As I see it, three psi over the max for the steel wheels is within the margin of variance.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:00 AM   #28

The original tires suck.

I too went with the Nexen Roadian CT8. Time will tell if they are any better than the original Hankook Dynapro. The Hankook's seem to fail soon as you hit a pothole or just look at a speed bump from a wrong angle. In the long run, I think I am going to convert to commercial tires and rims from this company: https://ricksontruckwheels.com/wheels-ford-e350450.php
Should be worth it.
KregChar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, motor, motorhome, tires