Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Tires for Class C motorhome

Looking for new tires for 2016 Minnie Winnie 31H, tires 225 75 r16. Researching E load range tires with C(120/121) load index to have a little distance between actual load and the load range of the tires. Anyone mix tires like the Kumho Crugen HT51 (front) and Michelin Aiglis cross Climate(rear), or Hankook pathfinder( front) and same michelins(rear). Thought this would be good for traction in soft ground and some snow, with the fronts for handling and quiet?
dundenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundenver View Post
Looking for new tires for 2016 Minnie Winnie 31H, tires 225 75 r16. Researching E load range tires with C(120/121) load index to have a little distance between actual load and the load range of the tires. Anyone mix tires like the Kumho Crugen HT51 (front) and Michelin Aiglis cross Climate(rear), or Hankook pathfinder( front) and same michelins(rear). Thought this would be good for traction in soft ground and some snow, with the fronts for handling and quiet?
I actually just did this for my n=motor home a couple weeks ago. I had the unit weighed and it was over weight on the rear. I opted for the Nexen Roadian CT8 tires 121/120 load index. They gave me a nice cushion in the max weight. Since I only had 4,000 miles on the motor home, I sold the other tires on CL in literally two hours. I have the Hankook DynaPro HT on the front and Nexen's on the rear. Look at Tirebuyer.com, have them shipped to Pep Boys and you're good to go.
Gregors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #3

You two guys are "spot on" with your tire strategy. When your rear axle is so very heavy, getting those extra-load tires makes all the sense in the world. They increase the tire capacity by over 2000 pounds. Weighing the front axle will determine if you could benefit from the same. Generally speaking you can mix front tires from rear tires, but not tires within the same axle.

My only suggestion on those extra capacity tires is to buy the ones that get to that extra capacity by having 83psi in the tire instead of 90 psi. The reason for the suggestion is because your steel wheels are rated to 80 psi, so 3 psi extra is less than 10 psi extra.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregors View Post
I actually just did this for my n=motor home a couple weeks ago. I had the unit weighed and it was over weight on the rear. I opted for the Nexen Roadian CT8 tires 121/120 load index. They gave me a nice cushion in the max weight. Since I only had 4,000 miles on the motor home, I sold the other tires on CL in literally two hours. I have the Hankook DynaPro HT on the front and Nexen's on the rear. Look at Tirebuyer.com, have them shipped to Pep Boys and you're good to go.
Gregors- Happy to see these posts. I have been planning to go with the "C rated" tires since reading about them a couple of years ago and I am just past 5 years on my Bridgestones ...... so as far as I am concerned, it is time. I suppose the installation cost varies with geographical areas, but, would you mind sharing what the (approx) cost should be to install all 6 tires?

In my case I would only need the steers balanced. (I have Centramatics on the rears cuz the super long, solid [Borg] inner dual valve stem prohibits spin balancing that wheel/tire.)

TIA. Stay safe.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Gregors- Happy to see these posts. I have been planning to go with the "C rated" tires since reading about them a couple of years ago and I am just past 5 years on my Bridgestones ...... so as far as I am concerned, it is time. I suppose the installation cost varies with geographical areas, but, would you mind sharing what the (approx) cost should be to install all 6 tires?

In my case I would only need the steers balanced. (I have Centramatics on the rears cuz the super long, solid [Borg] inner dual valve stem prohibits spin balancing that wheel/tire.)

TIA. Stay safe.
Youracman, I actually went the way you describe. My tires are commercial 121/120 Load Index tires with an 83 PSI max pressure. I only installed the rears but total install cost with balance was $66.00. I bought them online through Tirebuyer.com, had them delivered to a local Pep Boys who have a contract with them for guaranteed installation costs. So far, I'm very happy with the upgrade and overall cost.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:41 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Class Cs should come with load range E tire....end of discussion. Also, stick to well know brands such as Michelin, Toyo, Yokohama, Bridgestone, etc. DO NOT cut corners on cheap tires. The little you can save is not worth the potential for damage from under rated and little known brand tires. That is my 2 cents worth.

Ken
Old 02-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Class Cs should come with load range E tire....end of discussion. Also, stick to well know brands such as Michelin, Toyo, Yokohama, Bridgestone, etc. DO NOT cut corners on cheap tires. The little you can save is not worth the potential for damage from under rated and little known brand tires. That is my 2 cents worth.

Ken
Class C's do come with Load Range E tires. The "C" referenced above stands for "commercial" not load range. Within the load range E tires are several different options for load index. The load index is referenced by the 121/120 designation and is much higher rated than the standard load range "E" tires rated at 115/112, by about 2000 pounds across all four tires.

I assume you are referring to my post, when referring to purchasing name brand tires. Nexen Tires are pretty highly rated anywhere I looked for my specific tire and are definitely "name brand." I take safety very seriously and do my research. I was in no way cutting corners or looking for cheap tires. I wanted a heavy load index on a highly rated tire, which is what I purchased.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:12 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Class C's do come with Load Range E tires. The "C" referenced above stands for "commercial" not load range. Within the load range E tires are several different options for load index. The load index is referenced by the 121/120 designation and is much higher rated than the standard load range "E" tires rated at 115/112, by about 2000 pounds across all four tires.

I assume you are referring to my post, when referring to purchasing name brand tires. Nexen Tires are pretty highly rated anywhere I looked for my specific tire and are definitely "name brand." I take safety very seriously and do my research. I was in no way cutting corners or looking for cheap tires. I wanted a heavy load index on a highly rated tire, which is what I purchased.

Great background and reasoning for higher rated as you suggest.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:35 PM   #9

The C tires (Cargo or Commercial) are identified by a C following the size, and they DO NOT have LT in front of the size, the Michelin Agilis® CrossClimate® in 16 inch rim is only available as a "C" tire in three sizes. The 225/75R16C 121/120R LRE have much higher specs as the comparable LT225/75R16/E 115/112R

The Commercial tire has a max load single of 3195 lbs @ 83 psi vs the LT max load single of 2680 lbs @ 90 psi. The odd part is that the Commercial tire is about two pounds lighter than the LT version.

The Commercial tires are the required tire on a number of vans now, including the Promaster.

You want to be sure and specify the tire by its size AND part number of 225/75R16C 121/120R LRE with 70411 being the part number.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Like a lot of owners, I have a set of CAT scale weights (not 4 corners, unfortunately) with my rig loaded as for travel and I use that data to set my (cold) tire pressure using the Bridgestone load tables. (I kinda think the load tables are the same for all load range "E" LT tires irrespective of brand?) At any rate, I have been looking high and low on the internet and cannot find load tables for the commercial tires…..and I sure don't want to arbitrarily set them at 83 psi.

I plan to buy tires soon; not sure yet, but I may just install the commercial tires all the way around ….. incl the spare. Anyone know where I can find the load tables (e.g., the Nexen Rodian CT8 HL [Load Index 121/120] ) ?

TIA

BTW- Thx, Gregors for your installation cost data, sounds mighty reasonable.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Like a lot of owners, I have a set of CAT scale weights (not 4 corners, unfortunately) with my rig loaded as for travel and I use that data to set my (cold) tire pressure using the Bridgestone load tables. (I kinda think the load tables are the same for all load range "E" LT tires irrespective of brand?) At any rate, I have been looking high and low on the internet and cannot find load tables for the commercial tires…..and I sure don't want to arbitrarily set them at 83 psi.

I plan to buy tires soon; not sure yet, but I may just install the commercial tires all the way around ….. incl the spare. Anyone know where I can find the load tables (e.g., the Nexen Rodian CT8 HL [Load Index 121/120] ) ?

TIA

BTW- Thx, Gregors for your installation cost data, sounds mighty reasonable.
I tried to cut an paste the chart, but it didn't format well. If you Google Tire load index chart, Tire rack has a good explanation and chart. Hope this helps! Greg
Old 02-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

We had a friend that had a 30 foot Shasta class C that came with load range C tires. She had to replace then with load range E tires within a year due to blow outs. So some manufacturers do try to get by with cheap tires.

Ken
Old 02-17-2021, 10:10 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I tried to cut an paste the chart, but it didn't format well. If you Google Tire load index chart, Tire rack has a good explanation and chart. Hope this helps! Greg
I'll try to post the chart I referred to. (You'll have to click on it to enlarge for legibility.) I enter the chart with my actual weights (drive axle weight divided by 4 and the steer axle weight divided by 2) to determine the pressure needed in each tire "assuming" each tire is loaded fairly equally.....since I don't have corner weights. On the steers (using the table's "Single" row) I need 60 psi; on the drive axle (using the table's "Dual" row) I need 65psi. I add 5 psi as a "chicken factor" and potential tire gage error, so I end up with 65 in the steers and 70 in the duals. (If I inflated the tires to the max on the sidewall [80] I'd add a lot of instability/wander to the rig ..... and I don't want to inflate the commercials to 83 .... for the same reason.) I can't find a chart like this for the commercial tires (I looked at Nexen and Toyo "Celsius" and neither had a chart.....didn't try the Michelin.)

I found a CA ph number for Nexen Cust Service and may try them tomorrow. I plan to stop by Les Schwab and ask them about a chart for the Toyo Celsius tires. If I hit pay dirt (which I doubt) I'll post back for any who are interested.

Best....... Ed S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Load Table_0001.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	318433  
Old 02-18-2021, 12:54 AM   #14

Tires

I need 4 new rear tires on the back of my Majestic 28a Class C (30').

I'm thinking about these:
https://www.bigotires.com/tires/sku/...00000001108143

Anyone have any feedback on them? What I like about them is that they are a notch up (load) from the 225-75-R16 115/112 tires that I had. Seems like load is one of the most important things (safety), right?

Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, motor, motorhome, tires