Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
Only $25 each to install them. Thanks so much for the info.
There is no cost to you to have them replaced. Michelin includes the tires, mounting, balancing, taxes, and any old tire destruction fees.

If the dealer tries to charge you anything have them call Michelin at 1-800-231-5893
If they still want to charge you something find another dealer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow. Great info. Wonder if this applies here in Canada too? I will call Michelin tomorrow to verify. Again, thanks so much.
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #17

Discount Tire just replaced 7 tires on our motor home with Michelin XPS Ribs, at no cost to us.
2010 30' Itasca Cambria 28B, Blue Ox track bar, Hellwig sway bars (front & rear), Raybestoes/Spicer Dual Axis adjustable bushings set for +8-1/4 deg. castor (ds) & +8-1/8 deg. castor (ps). Air bags, ScanGauge II.
MTNMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got home with all new tires free. Thanks so much for the info. Had to question it right to the end to avoid installation fees despite Michelin's information. I have to wonder how many pay the $150 thinking it is a great deal? Thanks to this forum we didn't! Thanks again 👍
Old 05-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Just got home with all new tires free. Thanks so much for the info. Had to question it right to the end to avoid installation fees despite Michelin's information. I have to wonder how many pay the $150 thinking it is a great deal? Thanks to this forum we didn't! Thanks again 👍
What tire dealer did you use? I just got my MH out of storage today, took it to a nearby Ford dealer for an oil change, filter and lube (only 8 km since it was done in the fall - they had a good laugh again) and then to a Michelin dealer. They recorded the info for 7 tires and then showed me the backlog of orders for the tire. The sort of insinuated that they would call me in a few months.

I going to call Michelin in the morning and if I don't like the answer I think I'll call Transport Canada. Having said that, you got your so quickly it makes me wonder what is truth and what is fiction.

Don
Old 05-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shadow we used KAL Tire here in North Bay ON being one of the dealers in our area listed on the Michelin recall website. I called around to a few others first who claimed to know nothing about the recall despite being listed on the Michelin site lol. KAL indicated that there was a longer delay earlier (I assume when the recall notices first went out) but that things are moving quicker now. By all means call the Michelin hotline. They were really helpful. 1-888-863-7777
Old 05-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Shadow we used KAL Tire here in North Bay ON being one of the dealers in our area listed on the Michelin recall website. I called around to a few others first who claimed to know nothing about the recall despite being listed on the Michelin site lol. KAL indicated that there was a longer delay earlier (I assume when the recall notices first went out) but that things are moving quicker now. By all means call the Michelin hotline. They were really helpful. 1-888-863-7777
Well, it was a KAL dealer I went to today. When I returned from FLA a month ago I called around dealers in our area and learned that it had to be a dealer authorized to do warranty and recall replacements and that KAL was the dealer. I'll let you know what I learn in the morning.

They indicated that a lot of the tires were needed by small truck rental agencies like U-Haul, Budget, etc.

We've only got 12,800 KM's on tires.

Thanks for the info. May really help.

Don
Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We don't know how long ours lasted. We bought the MH used with 25,000k and the original tires had already been replaced with the Michelins allegedly not long before. Spare is a Uniroyal. We put about 3000k on it last year so this is a bonus for us. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #23

We bought ours new in Oct 2010 so it is now 3.5 years old. I figured we'd be putting new tires on based on age long before mileage. Now I won't have to think about it for 6 or 7 years. We've had 5 MH's since 2003 but given how little use we are making of this one (which has been flawless - we don't take a MH to FLA anymore having a park model and a destination trailer on our two lots there) I think we are now out of that bad habit of a new one every few years.

Don
Old 05-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Just got 7 tires replaced under recall. First dealer I talked to said Michelin was out of stock and would be 6 to 12 weeks before they had stock. I called Michelin and the lady confirmed that there were no replacement tires in the U S or Canada. She advised me to go to a dealer and pick out tires and send the bill to Michelin including mounting and balance even if it was competitor brand. That is SERVICE in my books. Turned out another dealer had the replacements in stock so I am running on Michelins and very happy about it. My unit is a 2012 and had 30,000 KM on them.
caisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #25

BTW, one of the other reasons we've made little us of our MH recently was the Ford Escape Toad. We didn't have a transmission failure but I put a ScanGauge II in it and the transmission fluid temp was getting as high as 220 deg when being towed. We found ourselves very uncomfortable given the number of owners who reported burned out trannys. We decided to put a lube pump and then learned Ford had taken over the Remco program for the Escape and Fusion and the price was off the wall - just absurd. Ford should be ashamed of itself for tripling the price. So I decided we had to tow something with a transfer case that has a neutral (our two prior toads had transfer cases - Colorado and Tahoe). The Escape was a good car and DW really enjoyed it otherwise.

Don
Old 05-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #26

Commercial Member

I find it interesting that Michelin is not standing up to handling their recall in the same way some other tire companies handled their similar situation.

IMO if Michelin really cared about the safety and welfare of their customers they would be using other brand tires to get the suspect tires off the road now and not two or three months or more from now..

There are alternatives out there that are probably not months on back order.

Just my observation and personal opinion.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can get B.F. Goodrich installed.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I find it interesting that Michelin is not standing up to handling their recall in the same way some other tire companies handled their similar situation.

IMO if Michelin really cared about the safety and welfare of their customers they would be using other brand tires to get the suspect tires off the road now and not two or three months or more from now..

There are alternatives out there that are probably not months on back order.

Just my observation and personal opinion.
Michelin does offer other model/brand tires from dealer stock (depending on the dealer) if you don't want to wait.

I see nothing wrong with Michelin's response to this. This is a voluntary recall by Michelin. They recalled 1,500,000 tires. Due to the low percentage of failures they did not need to do it. Emergency vehicles and ambulances were given a priority from inventory. I chose to wait for the new Michelin M/S2 tires. I was offered Good Years but chose to wait. I waited about 30 days for a full set mounted and balanced which cost me $0. Doesn't get better than that.

Tags
recall, tires