Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #141
tcg

This is not the first topic on the subject, has the question finally been answered?

I have a Class C, I carry a mounted spare but no jack. I don't travel too far of the beaten path so other than time waiting for roadside assistance I think I'm covered.

If I were planing to travel far off the beaten path I would purchase all the required equipment to change it myself and practice in my driveway to be sure I could do it myself.

People should do whatever they are are comfortable with or whatever makes them feel safe in their own travels. What works for some won't work for others.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2019, 06:55 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
Frankly I'm happy to have all the discussion....as a retired Army Officer (30 years) commissioned in the Ordnance Corps i was firmly schooled by grizzled NCO's and cranky Warrant Officers in what is known as a "field expedient" improvise adapt and overcome to get the job done.....as someone else suggested, do what needs to be done to get the job done....also frankly no one is going to tell me what I can or can't do with my MH.....safety is paramount but if I believe it can be done I'll do it

Legolas, as a former helicopter pilot, and before mentioned cranky Warrant Officer, I am always looking for the nearest safe landing area, next fuel stop, or just waiting for the next part to fall off in flight (the last one I had fall off ended up costing the taxpayers just over $14 mil. EOD, estimate of damage.)

So, yes, I have ERS, two cell phones, a toad, and I carry a spare and tools to change it if necessary. I think we'd get along great together!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #143

Going beyond just carrying a spare in our RV (inflated to the highest needed pressure -> that of the rear duals), I also bring along in our small Class C motorhome:

- A 12 ton high lift jack in case the earth is so soft under the jack that it has to be extended aways to actually lift anything,

- a lot of blocks to put under the jack and the tires as further protection against soft earth and for safety to support the axle when chainging a tire,

- two cans of truckers tire inflation canisters in case one isn't enough or for redundancy in case one goes bad during storage,

- a professional quality puncture repair kit in case a flat tire is merely from a small hole ... so why mess with changing the whole tire,

- a full power 120V AC compressor that can be powered by the built-in generator,

- membership in at least two ERS plans in case one gives me too much grief,

- and a satellite communication device and medivac plan to go with it ... to get ahold of ERS for vehicle help or for a medivac helicopter for medical help ... when our cell phones won't cut it.

I was never a Boy Scout and I was only a U.S. based captain in the AF ... but I don't care much for having to only rely on others to be around to help get out of trouble.

I guess it boils down to "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst".
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote