Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
TOAD Electrical Question/Advice

We use our 2020 Entegra Esteem 27U to tow our 2014 Ford Explorer. We flat tow it with a single limitation that the car must be run 15 minutes after 6 hours of towing. It appears the primary reason is to charge the battery. I have a Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All-Terrain tow bar with a Roadmaster Diode 7 wire to 6 wire Flexo Wiring Kit.

My question is: I'm pretty sure there is an open pin from the MH. Can I add a wire to charge the car battery while towing it? Would that be a direct wire to the car battery from the MH pin or would I need some sort of terminal block in between?
OldracerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 12:54 PM   #2

Yes, you can.

The RV should already have a battery connection on its end. Most of the 7 blade plugs have a diagram on the lid telling what each post is. You will just need to add the wire on the toad end. I always put a 20 amp circuit breaker just before the battery.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #3

Sure, you can add a charge wire so the RV supplies some degree (albeit perhaps limited in current and voltage due to line drop depending on wire size and length plus battery voltages and SOC) of charge back to the Toad battery. Ive done it on several vehicles for years just be aware:

1) The the current rating of the 7 pin connector, its NOT high !!!!
2) You could use either the RV house battery or the engine battery to feed it subject to what you have and charging requirements.
3) You should place an overcurrent protection device (fuse or breaker) at BOTH the RV and toad battery.
4) Some install a Diode in the line configured so the RV can pump charging current back to the Toad battery but prevent reverse current flow but there's a 0.6 volt drop across it.
5) Some use a relay instead of a diode for the purpose above

NOTE for example if you used say 20 feet of 10 Gauge Wire, due to line voltage drop and other factors you're not going to supply a lot of charging amps to the Toad but it may be enough for the small loads ... Its NOT a high charging amps situation ONLY to maintain the Toads tail lights and small electronics controls etc

John T BSEE,JD Electrical Engineer and 50 year RV owner
OldJohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Yes, you can.

The RV should already have a battery connection on its end. Most of the 7 blade plugs have a diagram on the lid telling what each post is. You will just need to add the wire on the toad end. I always put a 20 amp circuit breaker just before the battery.
^^^^^ X2 ^^^^^

I did exactly the same thing. Some install a diode, but I didn't see the need (and a diode will normally drop about .7 volt across it.)

Good luck with your project and save travels.

I see John posted while I was typing.
What he sez.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
You probably have this Jim, but just in case......... I believe this wiring setup is "std" in the RV industry for the 7-pin connector but not for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	333089  
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #6

battery charger

We just started towing our jeep. I went with Blue Ox for all towing parts. They have a charging system just for that reason to keep battery charged. We have the patriot 3 breaking system it needs 12volts of power full time. Have not had any issues with battery so far with 1130 miles car started right up. Yuo might look at blue Ox and see if it will work for you.
mb1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldracerJim View Post

.... It appears the primary reason is to charge the battery.
As others have pointed out, it's pretty easy to keep the battery charged. I use RVibrake's charger and it seems to work quite well.

But, keeping the battery charged may or may not be the only reason to run the engine for 15 minutes. I'm a firm believer in following the manufacturer's towing instructions to the letter. The consequences of not doing so can be catastrophic (I know, personally, of one couple who's Jeep burned to the rims), and no warranty or service plan will cover the damage. So, why take the risk?

A charge line is a nice addition, but I'd still do the end of day engine run unless I could get Ford to tell me, in writing, that charging is the only reason to do so!

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldracerJim View Post
We use our 2020 Entegra Esteem 27U to tow our 2014 Ford Explorer. We flat tow it with a single limitation that the car must be run 15 minutes after 6 hours of towing. It appears the primary reason is to charge the battery. I have a Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All-Terrain tow bar with a Roadmaster Diode 7 wire to 6 wire Flexo Wiring Kit.

My question is: I'm pretty sure there is an open pin from the MH. Can I add a wire to charge the car battery while towing it? Would that be a direct wire to the car battery from the MH pin or would I need some sort of terminal block in between?
The reason Ford says to run the car after 6 hours is to redistribute transmission fluid in the transmission. They should ask you to run the transmission in reverse and drive before placing it back in neutral for towing. We have towed a Honda CRV and the manufacturer required this every 8 hours of towing. We now tow a Chevy Sonic and the manufacturer says do the same thing after every 8 hours of towing. We have towed two four wheel drive vehicles with a transfer case and you can tow them for weeks without doing anything because with the transfer case in neutral the transmission does not turn.
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks everyone, this helps a lot.
OldracerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
The reason Ford says to run the car after 6 hours is to redistribute transmission fluid in the transmission. They should ask you to run the transmission in reverse and drive before placing it back in neutral for towing. We have towed a Honda CRV and the manufacturer required this every 8 hours of towing. We now tow a Chevy Sonic and the manufacturer says do the same thing after every 8 hours of towing. We have towed two four wheel drive vehicles with a transfer case and you can tow them for weeks without doing anything because with the transfer case in neutral the transmission does not turn.
From what I understand it’s not 8hrs of towing but every 8hrs. If you tow for 5hrs and then park for 5 more the trans fluid has drained away even though it’s only 5hrs of towing. On my Jeep I don’t need to stop but even though the transfer case is in neutral I leave the shifter in second gear it keeps the gears from running dry.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy666 View Post
From what I understand it’s not 8hrs of towing but every 8hrs. If you tow for 5hrs and then park for 5 more the trans fluid has drained away even though it’s only 5hrs of towing. On my Jeep I don’t need to stop but even though the transfer case is in neutral I leave the shifter in second gear it keeps the gears from running dry.
You are correct and we understand that. I think the manufacturers are worried about the folks who put in 12 hour days on the road. Most of us are not like that and our typical day of towing is about 6 hours on the road. With that in mind we just go thru the gears each morning before we hit the road and that gets us to the next campground. When I was a young whippersnapper I did not think anything about doing a 14 hour drive. Those days are long behind us.
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:48 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks, it your interested. There is another solution. I have used for years. Its basically a direct line from your RV battery to the toad. Works great. Keep the toad battery fresh. Give it a look: TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer
Requires a little work to install, but its easy. Comes with everything needed to keep the toad battery charged. Only issue I have ever had is a loose wire and that lost my power from the RV to the toad. Redid the wire and all is OK again.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #13

I made my own system on my jeep to keep it separate from the jeeps electrical system. I mounted a six way plug in the grill and ran a power wire to the battery and parking light, brake light, turn signal wires to the rear lights. Inside the rear lights I mounted Bulb holders. I now have brake lights and signal and parking lights just like it was a trailer. I have a seven way to six way coiled cord for a connection.

Name:	28EC69C6-38B0-4585-8FF8-C50AD7162CA2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	333476

Name:	304337B3-8D91-49F4-94A9-E59BE508D490.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	333477

Name:	B8507E35-6F8E-4A35-8433-E7799F9969D9.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	333478
Old 06-26-2021, 06:54 AM   #14

We are running a line from our chassis battery to the 12 V charging line in the RV 7 pin connector. (PS: Don't run it from your house battery) The chassis battery has the alternator so your chassis battery won't deplete and the chassis battery will have the capacity to provide the additional charge needed to the toad.

Etrailer has a kit that is very simple to use and has the circuit breaker included. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RM-156-25.html If you are handy, the parts can be purchased at a local auto parts store much cheaper. We had the wire and hardware on hand and just purchased the circuit breaker for a couple bucks!

The 15 minute runtime after towing will charge your battery but it is also for the transmission fluid and oil to get circulated again. If you add the battery line, you will still need to do the 15 minute runtime.

Tags
advice, electric, electrical, toad