Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2023, 04:53 PM   #1

Tongue Weight as relates to OCCC

OK, this is a hypothetical I think I know the answer to, but thought I'd bounce it off the group:

Assume a tongue weight rating of 500 lbs on an MBS chassis with an OCCC of 1000 lbs fully loaded to that capacity and thus sitting right at the 11030 lb GVWR.

If one then hooks this rig to a trailer with a tongue weight of 500 lbs, what effect does this have? I'm thinking tongue weight, rightly or wrongly, has no effect on OCCC as defined. So in effect the coach chassis is hauling 1500 lbs in that scenario and could be thought of as legal if one thinks only in terms of OCCC.

Actually that functionally speaking would put you over GVWR while the trailer was hooked up, but would it still be legal? I'm thinking the requirement should be to weigh coach and trailer together, but it's easy to imagine many campers who wouldn't think to do that.

Just thought it was an interesting potential problem which could stand to be pointed out....I'll go put on my flame-resistant suit now...
Sunraydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2023, 08:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunraydoc View Post
OK, this is a hypothetical I think I know the answer to, but thought I'd bounce it off the group:

Assume a tongue weight rating of 500 lbs on an MBS chassis with an OCCC of 1000 lbs fully loaded to that capacity and thus sitting right at the 11030 lb GVWR.

If one then hooks this rig to a trailer with a tongue weight of 500 lbs, what effect does this have? I'm thinking tongue weight, rightly or wrongly, has no effect on OCCC as defined. So in effect the coach chassis is hauling 1500 lbs in that scenario and could be thought of as legal if one thinks only in terms of OCCC.

Actually that functionally speaking would put you over GVWR while the trailer was hooked up, but would it still be legal? I'm thinking the requirement should be to weigh coach and trailer together, but it's easy to imagine many campers who wouldn't think to do that.

Just thought it was an interesting potential problem which could stand to be pointed out....I'll go put on my flame-resistant suit now...
Not sure why you would think adding a 500# tongue weight would not be counted towards your 1,000# OCCC ? If you have an 11,030# GVWR with a 1,000# OCCC, that means the RV weighed 10,030# when it left the factory. The weight of anything added after that on or in the MH is deducted from your OCCC. The 500# tongue weight would account for 1/2 your OCCC. The MH chassis is carrying that 500# tongue weight.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:11 AM   #3

Sounds like a common problem with the van-based class B&C’s. If you look at the OCCC they are often just a few hundred pounds. I’m always surprised that anyone would buy something that can hardly carry two people.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Sounds like a common problem with the van-based class B&C’s. If you look at the OCCC they are often just a few hundred pounds. I’m always surprised that anyone would buy something that can hardly carry two people.
I agree as well.

A lot of people though, don't have a clue that vehicle weight ratings even exist. And of course, I'm sure salesmen are pretty good at misleading many of them.

As far as the 500 lb tongue weight, it's part of the OCCC. With a 1000 lb OCCC, an additional 500 lbs (easily 2 adults, water, and supplies) can be added before the GVWR is exceeded.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:28 AM   #5

Tongue weight as relates to OCCC

Actually I agree that tongue weight should be counted towards OCCC; my point was that I've been unable to find that in print in any of the OCCC definitions, so it might be a pitfall for some people.

What brought this up for me was our search for a suitable MBS C/B+. As was said so many of them have low OCCCs, in particular this seems true of the Tiffin Wayfarer, disappointing since we like one of their floorplans a lot.

I'd love to stick a Vespa or some such on the receiver of an MBS coach, but it seems as if that just isn't a realistic option in view of the addition to GVW that would create...the DW and I could be limited to one change of clothes and a few bottles of wine..
Sunraydoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccc, tongue weight, weight