Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

Question Tough choice - 2015 vs. 2016 Jayco Greyhawk

Hey Gang,

Okay so I'm looking for some collective wisdom here. Briefly, I was going to buy a 2015 29MV, however when I got close to talking money it sold. In rolled a 2016 - with all the new bells and whistles. In my mind, the highlights were the 6 speed Torqshift on the 2016 E450 chassis and the fiberglass roof.

My test drive of the 2016 revealed a strong vibration around 60mph. Dealer sent the unit to Ford. Ford sent the driveshaft to a place that specializes in such things. Ford got the driveshaft back today - 2 of the three sections were NOT balanced at all. They are now though. So - you would think we're good to go right?

Nope - Ford put it all back together and the vibration is still there at the same mph. Now they are trying to see if its a angle issue or something else. Lots of people working on this unit now. On top of that, the other 2016 29MV on the dealer's lot exhibits the exact same problem at 60 mph.

I wonder what Jayco's chassis extender is doing?

SO - to make it murkier; the buyer for the 2015 bailed. The dealer has graciously allowed me to 'hold' both the 2015 and the 2016 pending whatever Ford finds.

Given all this - would you guys go w/ the 2015 and the TPO roof and 5 speed Torqshift? Also, the 2015 has Bigfoot Levelers, the 2016 has Equalizer. Or wait it out and see how the 2016 fares at Ford? Or would you even care at that point given all the work thats been done on the 2016 already?

FWIW, the DW likes the interior on the 2015 more. Price savings is around ~$1500. Added bonus, the 2015 has ~165 pounds more cargo capacity ringing in at 2089 pounds of OCCC.

Very confused - but I'm almost leaning towards the 2015 now. For all I know the 6 speed transmission in the 2016 changed the undercarriage geometry somehow. Who knows? Not sure about the roof though.

Help ?!
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Hey Gang,

Okay so I'm looking for some collective wisdom here. Briefly, I was going to buy a 2015 29MV, however when I got close to talking money it sold. In rolled a 2016 - with all the new bells and whistles. In my mind, the highlights were the 6 speed Torqshift on the 2016 E450 chassis and the fiberglass roof.

My test drive of the 2016 revealed a strong vibration around 60mph. Dealer sent the unit to Ford. Ford sent the driveshaft to a place that specializes in such things. Ford got the driveshaft back today - 2 of the three sections were NOT balanced at all. They are now though. So - you would think we're good to go right?

Nope - Ford put it all back together and the vibration is still there at the same mph. Now they are trying to see if its a angle issue or something else. Lots of people working on this unit now. On top of that, the other 2016 29MV on the dealer's lot exhibits the exact same problem at 60 mph.

I wonder what Jayco's chassis extender is doing?

SO - to make it murkier; the buyer for the 2015 bailed. The dealer has graciously allowed me to 'hold' both the 2015 and the 2016 pending whatever Ford finds.

Given all this - would you guys go w/ the 2015 and the TPO roof and 5 speed Torqshift? Also, the 2015 has Bigfoot Levelers, the 2016 has Equalizer. Or wait it out and see how the 2016 fares at Ford? Or would you even care at that point given all the work thats been done on the 2016 already?

FWIW, the DW likes the interior on the 2015 more. Price savings is around ~$1500. Added bonus, the 2015 has ~165 pounds more cargo capacity ringing in at 2089 pounds of OCCC.

Very confused - but I'm almost leaning towards the 2015 now. For all I know the 6 speed transmission in the 2016 changed the undercarriage geometry somehow. Who knows? Not sure about the roof though.

Help ?!
some times it's not good to get the first ones out...I bought a 2015 and figuue to sell it soon as the 2016 6 speeds hit the west coast....

how did you like driving the 16? was the power there??? did you notice and difference with the trans...

I know mine needs to shift one more time...2600 rpms is gonna guzzle gas..

did you notice the rpms at 65??

I'm gonna guess that they have the shafts out of phase...
or wrong pinion angle...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:37 AM   #3

I felt it drove smoother (up until the driveshaft started to vibrate). I didn't notice the RPMs because at first I didn't even realize I had a 6 speed. Neither did the dealer. Really not many knew that the 2016 E450s had a 6 speed in them at all.

I was VERY happy to see it in the rig I'm considering. Just bummed it has needed so much attention this early from Ford. I'm waiting for Ford to tell me if the problem ends up being something 'big' where I should avoid the rig, or if it was something relatively simple to fix and will not present problems down the road.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #4

S1njin Have you considered any other manufacturers? Seems the 2016 Jayco is catching up to what Forest River is already doing in their Forester/Sunseeker. Also, if you order a 2016 Forest River, even though it will take up to 12 weeks, you can get it the way you want and any unit going into production starting the 17th will have the 6 speed tranny.
GL1800rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:58 AM   #5

Well this was a short lived wrap. The frame on both 2016s is crooked, per Ford. The drive shaft doesn't line up straight over the rear differential.

Pretty poor job on the chassis extender's part, and I'm going to have nothing to do w/ frame issues.

Time to look hard at that 2015
Old 07-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Well this was a short lived wrap. The frame on both 2016s is crooked, per Ford. The drive shaft doesn't line up straight over the rear differential.

Pretty poor job on the chassis extender's part, and I'm going to have nothing to do w/ frame issues.

my 2015 dog walks... the rear end is crooked,,,

the wheel base is over 1'' different side to side..
Old 07-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800rider View Post
S1njin Have you considered any other manufacturers? Seems the 2016 Jayco is catching up to what Forest River is already doing in their Forester/Sunseeker. Also, if you order a 2016 Forest River, even though it will take up to 12 weeks, you can get it the way you want and any unit going into production starting the 17th will have the 6 speed tranny.
they fast way to tell the 6 speed is the is a #4 on the selector and a #3 on the 5 speed..
Old 07-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #8

Per my dealer MoRyde released 7 2016 units that were off kilter - my dealer unfortunately got 2 of them.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
A close friend of mine has the 2015 Grayhawk bunk model and added the 5 Star tune and is delighted with new shift patterns after he saw mine. Big difference on hills. Might be good upgrade instead of the 2016.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #10
WDW

2015 - we traded ours because of size. If you want a cherry FK send me a PM for dealer info.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

I'd have said go with the 2015 before the crooked frame was mentioned. That would clinch it for me.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #12

We just traded up from a 2015 Jayco Redhawk 23XM to a 2016 Jayco Redhawk 26XD.

The new unit has a 6 speed tranny... WOW, what a difference! Much quieter, shift levels are great (2900 RPM up hill at 65 MPH), and the best part... the MPG went up to a bit over 11 MPG!

We didn't get the Grayhawk, as it had a bunch of "stuff" that we didn't need or want, and all of that stuff, added almost 900 pounds to the weight of the unit.

When you find a floorplan that you like, go with the manufacturer with the two year warranty... If a manufacturer doesn't believe enough in their own product to offer a 2 year warranty, well, that makes nervous.

Just my opinion :-)
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco