Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
"Toughest" tires for 16-inch wheels?

I am in the process of buying a 31-ft class C from a private party. He advised that he has had 1 blowout and the original owner had one blowout.....with tires under 5 years of age....both on a passenger-side dual. In at least one case I believe it was "road gator" induced. He says his TPMS data shows that both of the pass side duals, in warm weather, consistently run a bit more pressure buildup and 10 degrees or so higher temperature than any of the other tires......and that it is a consistent thing. He believes the pass side duals take more of a "beating" ...... especially on roads that are crowned quite a bit (maybe this is common knowledge....dunno.) Since a couple of the tires are now approaching 5 years, I am wondering if any particular tire maker builds tires that are "stronger" or whatever..... and I should give that brand more consideration when replacing. Perhaps it is all a crap shoot....but the seller says a LOT of class C owners with the smaller wheels wish some manufacturer would build a tire that was one load range higher than is currently available. Any comment from owners of "heavier" rigs with 16" wheels appreciated. Ed S in Denver.
youracman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 12:25 AM   #2

Another possibility is that the RV is heavy; even overloaded; on the right side and that the owners have been running the tires at too low a pressure.
JMHO: Have the unit weighed , four corners if at all possible , before you buy.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:06 AM   #3

I have just put Firestone Enforcer HT on my 27 footer. 16 inch. E rated.
beeman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman12 View Post
I have just put Firestone Enforcer HT on my 27 footer. 16 inch. E rated.
That will work. I was going to say Firestone transforce. AT or HT. I have at (all terrain) on my tow vehicle and HT (Highway Terrain) on the farms dually pickup. Only difference is the tread pattern and even that is not much different. I dont have a class C anymore but if I did I would feel perfectly safe with any of these 3 tires.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:01 AM   #5

tires

I should have wrote Transforce not enforcer.
beeman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #6

I run transforce also, my passenger duels run warmer but I think it's from the exhaust routing nearby, it's only 10-20 degrees nothing to worry about. MH is a 2003 31 foot class C
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the Transforce HT tires on a 27 foot Class A. They worked great. As a previous poster suggested, get the MH weighed. Thirty one foot Class C tend to run on max side of GVWR.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #8

I had a similar problem with a Class C and Class A with a tag axle. The inside dual seemed to be the first to blow. I think it's a combination of things, like possibly being heavier on the street side, road crown, exhaust, aging out and maybe not being able to observe the inside dual for potential problems.

Regardless, the C you're looking at already has 16" wheels, yes? If so, the go to tire (when I had both those rigs) was Michelin XPS ribs as I recall. I can tell you whenever I've strayed away from Michelin for any of my vehicles, I have been disappointed. However, you might want to take a look at Hankook and Sailun for tires in the size you need.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
"Toughest" tires for 16-inch wheels?

Thanks for the quick responses. Helps a LOT. The current owner has certified 4-corner weights for the rig. He just loaded it like he was ready to go camping with water, fuel and even firewood + 4 occupants. He came out 500 lb under the GVWR and OK on the axle wt distribution too. I do understand though that the E-450s that are 30+ feet are pretty well "maxed" out straight from the factory ......and I want to stay legal....and safe as possible. Plan to carry some heavier items in the 2800# toad (maybe tool boxes?) as the GCWR has considerable "wiggle room". I will get my own weight data as well.

Thanks again. I will surely be "bugging you" later as my MH-owner education continues. Ed S
youracman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #10

Load Range E tires are higher load capacity than Load Range D, for example if D is what is on the MH now. Load range E are easily available and would be a good choice. Brand and model is up to you, many options.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman12 View Post
I should have wrote Transforce not enforcer.
I never hard of enforcer I thought maybe they were new. They always change stuff LOL
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I had so many trailer tire problems while using HD LT tires Load Range E, specifically the Wild Country XTX Sport. I finally switched to a set of Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST Radial Tire - 235/85R16 tires load range G.

Expensive but well worth the price to not have anymore sidewall problems.

LT tire sidewalls are too spongy whereas the Goodyear tire has a much stiffer sidewall to handle the bouncing of the trailer as it moves along the road.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Michelin all the way!
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:00 AM   #14

Michelin XPS Traction. These are used by the Forest Service because the tire has extra thick sidewalls that are less likely to fail. I ordered these and the tire dealer said these were overrated and unnecessary even though he had never mounted a set. When they showed up at his tire shop he quickly he changed his mind and didn't mind admitting he was wrong with his assumption. He was very impressed with the tire after actually putting his hands on them. I used these, and replaced them several times after they wore out (I put a lot of hard miles on them). I wish they came in sizes other than 16" so I could use them on all my vehicles.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires