Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2023, 05:54 AM   #1

Tow a Wrangler JLU with Mercedes Sprinter?

Hey, Folks -

We're considering selling our Precept 31UL and downsizing to a Sprinter Class C. Would like to keep our Wrangler JLU Sport 4-door that we pull behind the Precept, but it weighs in at ~4200 lbs., which seems like the limit to what the Sprinter can handle. GVWR of the Sprinter is 11,030; GCWR is 15,250. Does anyone here have any direct experience with this that could shed some light here?

Thanks!
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2023, 06:00 AM   #2

No personal experience but a member of my Jeep club tows his JLUR with a newer MB based View. His Jeep is heavily modded and is probably near 5500# if not more. He claims double digit MPG and no problems with power or speed.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
No personal experience but a member of my Jeep club tows his JLUR with a newer MB based View. His Jeep is heavily modded and is probably near 5500# if not more. He claims double digit MPG and no problems with power or speed.
Thanks! Mine is bone stock, so that's encouraging.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:54 AM   #4

I have a Tiffin Wayfarer Class C and have towed a 2dr Wrangler without any issue. Now, I am towing a new 2022 Ford Ranger Tremor that is alittle heavier without any issue. I haven't formally weighed the Tremor but it is listed around 4500 - 4600 lbs.

If it was me making your decision, I would make sure you have a top quality braking system in the toad. Like an RVi3, or similar and go for it
Jim from BZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from BZN View Post
I have a Tiffin Wayfarer Class C and have towed a 2dr Wrangler without any issue. Now, I am towing a new 2022 Ford Ranger Tremor that is alittle heavier without any issue. I haven't formally weighed the Tremor but it is listed around 4500 - 4600 lbs.

If it was me making your decision, I would make sure you have a top quality braking system in the toad. Like an RVi3, or similar and go for it
Thanks, Jim. I do have an Invisibrake system that I installed in the Wrangler. Very happy with its performance. The baseplate and tow bar are both Demco - the tabless Commander model. Very stout.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:55 PM   #6

When I was looking for a new RV, I looked at various Sprinters. When I subtracted the GCWV - GVWR, I got less than 4000 pounds. My Jeep weighs around 4400 pounds. The sales people kept telling me I would be fine - it has a 5K hitch. So I called Winnebago - one of the manufacturers. They told me that Sprinters are not rated to pull over 4000 pounds. They said you may get away with it, but if something went wrong and they knew what you were pulling, you would void the warrantee. Based on all of that, I ruled out all the Sprinters.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 03:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
When I was looking for a new RV, I looked at various Sprinters. When I subtracted the GCWV - GVWR, I got less than 4000 pounds. My Jeep weighs around 4400 pounds. The sales people kept telling me I would be fine - it has a 5K hitch. So I called Winnebago - one of the manufacturers. They told me that Sprinters are not rated to pull over 4000 pounds. They said you may get away with it, but if something went wrong and they knew what you were pulling, you would void the warrantee. Based on all of that, I ruled out all the Sprinters.
Yeah, that's what concerns me. Even though the GCWR is within the limit, it seems there's conflicting info out there.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
So the published towing capacity of the Sprinter is 5,000lbs but they told you it's really 4,000lbs and if you go over that it voids the warranty? This totally makes no sense. Are you sure they didn't say you have 4,220 lbs left for towing if you are at max GVWR of 11,030? (GCVWR is 15,250) 15,250-11,030=4,220. If you are only loaded to 10,250 you could tow the entire 5,000.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:50 AM   #9

When a manufacturer posts numbers, they are not factoring in braking on the toad/trailer. All the braking must be done by the towing vehicle. That's why I am comfortable towing the 4600 lb Ranger Tremor behind my Mercedes 3500 Sprinter diesel. It's equipped with Blue Ox tow gear and the RVi3 braking system.
Jim from BZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:38 AM   #10

As I stated, you can determine the weight you can pull by using the following calculation:

GCWR - GVWR

This is based on a number of factors - not just braking.

For these smaller RVs, you can assume you will be close to your GVWR. Do not be fooled by the hitch rating, which is 5000 pounds. That is more than the Sprinters I have seen can pull.

Use the Winnebago View as an example. All of the models have a GCWR of 15250 pounds and a GWVR of 11030 pounds. The difference is 4220. Therefore, the most you can pull is 4220.

Personally, I would not want to pull right at the max. My Jeep weighs 4400 pounds and therefore cannot be pulled with any of the View models. These numbers are about the same for all of the Sprinter chassis models I have seen.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:16 PM   #11

We have a 2022 MB class C Melborne, and tow a 2022 Chevy Colorado. We live in SE Oklahoma flat towed it to Mt.Whitney in Califonia mostly I-40. No issues at all, but you can definately feel some of the steep hiils on I-40, still averaged 12mpg at 62 - 65 mph
Kutakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutakm View Post
We have a 2022 MB class C Melborne, and tow a 2022 Chevy Colorado. We live in SE Oklahoma flat towed it to Mt.Whitney in Califonia mostly I-40. No issues at all, but you can definately feel some of the steep hiils on I-40, still averaged 12mpg at 62 - 65 mph
Good to know. The Colorado is similar in weight to the Wrangler. Thanks!

Mickey
Old 03-27-2023, 04:49 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Just make sure you get both weighed after you load and hitch up . I have read a couple of articles on various Class Cs built on the MB chassis. They are getting bigger and heavier - not leaving much room for payload. It doesn't take much to go over the GVWR with two people, full water, supplies and toys.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
Just make sure you get both weighed after you load and hitch up . I have read a couple of articles on various Class Cs built on the MB chassis. They are getting bigger and heavier - not leaving much room for payload. It doesn't take much to go over the GVWR with two people, full water, supplies and toys.
Thanks. Weighing both is first on the agenda after we take delivery. We don't use the fresh water tank, so that's off the table. And when we tow the Jeep, it's empty; typically even have less than 1/2 tank of fuel in it.

Mickey

Tags
sprinter, tow