Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2018, 04:19 PM   #1

Towing hitch

Hello I am inquiring about a 2013 Jayco Melbourne tow hitch. I was quoted over $2500 by a dealership to install/hook it up and that does not include the cost for the tow bar. I am just looking for suggestions on this matter. I am wanting to pull my Saturn sky-thank you for your time and knowledge.
Gmw1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2018, 04:22 PM   #2

...is the Saturn Sky towable 4 wheels down?
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP - Seems high to me.

As I remember the Sky used the Honda V6 engine and transmission and was towable four down, just like my '05 Odyssey was.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #4

- a 'baseplate' is what most shops are charging you to 'attach' to the front end of your vehicle(unseen, behind the front bumper), with places for your 'connector pins' to attach to. 'Pins' are included on most that provide the 'connection' point to the tow bar.

- tail light wiring from your coach to the rear of your 'toad' vehicle is also something to have installed, usually provided by the same tow bar company.

$300 should be a good price for this installation.

- the tow bar is your choice, and your cost, but must match the type of connection to the base plate, 'usually' from the same manufacturer, such as 'Blue Ox', or others.

- a wiring harness is needed from the coach(usually a 7-pin) to the front of the vehicle(usually a 6-pin) to run the tail lights to the vehicle while you are pulling it

- several tow cables from the coach's hitch to the baseplate hooks

some tow bars simply slide into your existing 2" receiver on your coach, easy. others may be the type that use a 'ball' type connector, requiring you to have a 2" ball at your hitch. Some tow bars are for heavier vehicles, while others, like our Alpha, are for lighter vehicles, like our Focus.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #5

There is also the cost of installing some kind of brake system for the towed car.

It all adds up.

Double check if you can tow this car. According to my research it is not towable.

From the owners guide.
The Saturn SKY was not designed to be towed behind another vehicle with any of its wheels on the ground; therefore, dinghy towing is not recommended.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I looked up the 2013 MH you described and it said it has a receiver hitch. Hard to believe it's not already on there, pretty much std on all MH's.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We recently got a quote for a Roadmaster towing setup. Towbar, baseplate, wiring, brake assist unit, installed price was $3000-3500. Blue Ox makes a great system, also. Towgear is NOT something to skimp on.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Your MH should have the tow receiver so you need the tow bat, base plate, lights and brake. Look at Ready Brute system. For about $1400-$1500 you have the tow bar and brake system add the base plate for $400. If your at all handy you can install the base plate and the tow bar anyone can install it. I used the wireless light system, plug and play as most MH's have the tow plug in place cost $150, lights are magnetic.

LEN

Tags
tow, towing