RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #1

Towing Vehicle Options With Class C

Hello Members

I am new to the site and my girlfriend and I are looking at purchasing a Class C.

With that said, we want to be able to tow a vehicle, so we have a car to get around town, National Parks, etc. without breaking down camp every time.

Our go to car of choice is the Subaru Crosstrek, but we are finding that it's not a car that can be towed unless it's a standard/manual, which is not appealing to us for a daily driver, which is what the car would be when not being towed on trips.

Thoughts and feedback would be much appreciated.

Jeff and Amy
J_ARoadLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!
Most of us with a Class C use a dolly, like I do, and other use four wheels down. Some cars cannot be towed with either system. You need to check with the manufacturer to see about the Subaru you mentioned. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation to avoid problems. Whatever you do be very clear on what you are getting into.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #3

If your Crosstrek is AWD it probably can't be flat towed or towed on a dolly, but check your owner's manual under RV towing. I would look for something that can flat towed since it looks like your going to have to get a different vehicle. I'm sure there are people that will chime in with better information than I have. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you search “Motorhome towing guides” you can view for any year vehicles that are flat towable. It’s a good place to start your search. We two a 2014 Honda CR-V behind a Jayco 30x motor home. This was the last year Honda made a flat towable CR/V,
bluenoser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:47 PM   #5

Yes the Crosstrek is AWD and apparently can not be towed unless it is a standard. Our only option with this vehicle is trailer tow.
J_ARoadLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:12 AM   #6

Towing vehicle options

There is a used Subaru Crosstrek all set up for towing advertised in the classifieds section of this website.

There is also a recent thread here about HOnda CRV owners and their experiences...under the TOAD category.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #7

I second checking the MotorHome Towing Guides. Good advice. Will tell you everything about towing vehicles.

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
Old 10-01-2020, 07:09 AM   #8

Jeep. Jeep 4door be more capable than the Subaru. Carry more, you can even sleep in back. Go more places off road. Jeep. Accept no substitute.
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONWisconsin View Post
Most of us with a Class C use a dolly...
Really, that's news to me. At this point I do not tow but almost all the Class C owners I know that do, tow 4-down and most of the Class C's I see on the road do too. There is a reason for that, being able to access primitive locations and sites in National forests and BLM land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbigham View Post
Jeep. Jeep 4door be more capable than the Subaru.
Yes it is, for off-road use. What does your Jeep weigh? What is your MH's GCWR?
Old 10-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #10

Taffeys,
Looks like you got some homework to do! 4 door Rubicon weighs about 4500 lbs, plus gas, knick knacks say 5k lbs. My 23u thor is 22,000 lbs gcwr. E450. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Taffeys,
Looks like you got some homework to do! 4 door Rubicon weighs about 4500 lbs, plus gas, knick knacks say 5k lbs. My 23u thor is 22,000 lbs gcwr. E450. Good luck.
Really? I'm not clairvoyant! You didn't tell us WHAT Jeep model and year you have, hence my question. So, you're guessing it weighs 5K. My E450 also has a 22,000# GCWR. Hope your hitch is rated for 5K.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #12

Taffeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffeys View Post
Really? I'm not clairvoyant! You didn't tell us WHAT Jeep model and year you have, hence my question. So, you're guessing it weighs 5K. My E450 also has a 22,000# GCWR. Hope your hitch is rated for 5K.
Says right in my post "4 door Rubicon." Spec for those just shy of 4500lbs or 5k with fuel, knick knacks. My hitch and rv rated to tow 8k lbs. You need to calm down.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #13

What's your problem?

Today at 06:09 AM you posted "Jeep 4door.."

I replied at 06:43 AM "What does your Jeep weigh?"

You then replied 10:41 AM "Looks like you got some homework to do! 4 door Rubicon weighs about 4500 lbs"

And your last reply at 05:15 PM was...

Quote:
Says right in my post "4 door Rubicon." Spec for those just shy of 4500lbs or 5k with fuel, knick knacks. My hitch and rv rated to tow 8k lbs. You need to calm down.
So yeah you did, in your post 4 hours AFTER I posted that first question. And I need to calm down?

I think you need to get help.

Tags
class c, tow, towing