Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #1

towing with a class C

I have a Thor Class C with a V10 engine and will be leaving from Delaware to south Fla. in a few weeks. We will be towing a Honda Civic on a tow Dolly. Do We need to put the transmission in the tow/haul position when towing this way or will just putting it in drive be sufficient? Most of the trip will be on flat roads. I would think that in the tow position it would use a lot more fuel.
richh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #2

I would use the tow button only when hills cause the transmission to downshift. Otherwise it is a lot smoother without it. 2010 31 ft class c flat towing 3700lbs.jim w
Shotgunjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I click in my tow assist when I need the moho engine to help with braking -- primarily in city traffic. It's easy to change back and forth, but too sluggish to drive with full time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #4

There is a lot of debate whether to use it or not. I have done both towing a car on a dolly. I prefer to leave it off unless I am in city traffic or hilly terrain. With it on you get the added benefit of engine braking when tapping the brakes. Of late, I have left it on more often than not and aside from the higher engine rpms, I feel like the engine shifts and handles the load better all around. On long stretches of flat highway, I sometimes turn it off. I would experiment with it both ways until you feel comfortable with the performance.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #5

Long semi flat streches of highway and just driving I do not use mine, however when the hills cause the tranny to shift back and forth I do use it. Don't know if I am right are wrong but this has worked for me so far. Live and learn just hope the ol school of hard knocks don't bite me again.
puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I have the Torqueshift tranny with tow/haul in my truck, good unit! In addition to changing shift points it also changes the torque converter locking strategy leading to cooler trans temps when towing.

It does (in my experience) reduce fuel mileage as the tow position keeps the engine spinning faster so I only use it when in hilly terrain or for acceleration if very heavily loaded. At cruising speed on small rolling hills and flat I leave it off.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #7

Agree with the others - on for hills off for flat ground. I tow a 4700 lb boat and don't have issues. You should have great luck with that little Civic..
Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #8

I'm not a transmission guy but I do know by using the tow/haul mode your torque converter will lock up sooner and provide better engine braking. My 2010 v10 in a class c E450 with the 5star tuner stays in tow haul about 1/2 the time. I live in Nevada and drive in the mountains a lot. I tow a Tacoma pickup at 3700#.
Bjsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #9

My main concern about towing with a Class C is the effect of the ridiculous amount of rear overhang some of them have. The amount of sideways deflection on turns would give whatever you're towing a real issue.

After looking at a couple of 31' C's we eventually went with a F-53 Class A. At least the back wheels are fairly close to the back!

Tags
towing