RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #1

Towing with a Class C

We have just purchased a 2021 Coachman Leprachaun, 31. What are the pros and cons of towing four wheels down or with a tow dolly. If towing with a tow dolly what kind of braking system, electric or surge. If four wheels down, what kind of braking system. And what kind of vehicle are you towing?
rmkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #2

I have towed both my '12 Wrangler and now my '20 Gladiator 4 down. Used the blue ox tow bar and brake buddy on the '12 and now use the NSA Hercules tow bar with ready brake. I like the ready brake setup as it is permanently mounted and I don't have to take the brake buddy in/out every time. Benefits of towing 4 down are there is no trailer you have to worry about. When you get to your site, you unhook and can easily back up your RV.
robburns76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #3

It depends on what vehicle you are going to tow, some cannot be 4 down, others cannot be tow on a dolly. Also, if you are not keeping your toad a long time, a dolly gives you more options.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:14 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Congrats on your purchase! We went through this exercise just a couple months ago.

Towing our Jeep Wrangler 4-down is easiest. Wranglers are a favorite largely because of this and because they're just great to have. As mentioned, consider a tow bar that exceeds capacity for margin. Blue Ox or Roadmaster and Demco are popular tow bars. E-trailer.com is a good source to compare. When you arrive at your destination, just keep your tow bar locked on to your RV or stow it in a sub-storage compartment and you're set. We went with a Blue Ox Aventa which gives us 6-800 pounds to spare.

Also as mentioned, tow dollies and trailers are options but for dollies you'll need to pay particular attention on what vehicles can be towed with a dolly. Not all can. For trailers, 4 wheels up, theres that option for all vehicles. Just figure out what you can do with your dolly/trailer when you get to where you’re going. Thats about the biggest downside. If its a CG, not all will let you keep them with you. You may have to stick the dolly underneath or park it or the trailer in their overflow or other parking lot.

Braking systems are a good thing as they take the stress off your tow bar, or hitch, and are legally required in a lot of states if you meet certain weight requirements. Again, e-Trailer is a good research source. I bought a Blue Ox Patriot III. Very easy to set up. Most portable units get their braking info from electronic accelerometers to apply brakes proportionally with the motorhome and controlled wirelessly. The advantage of portables are that you can use them no matter what your 4-wheels-down TOAD is. Others use built-in solutions which are there when you need them and no additional effort or set up is needed. For trailers, you have the electric brakes as normally installed and controlled. I’ll let others comment on surge brakes as Ive only read about them on the tow dollies but Ive not heard anything bad about them.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:59 AM   #5

We have a ‘19 Fleetwood Jamboree and are about to tow for the first time! We will be going 4 down with our Buick Envision. The Envision was purchased specifically for it’s ability to be towed. We used Blue Ox equipment all the way around. The tow bar is rated at 10,000 lbs so that’s a little over kill but gives some peace of mind I guess. As far as flat towing I like that there’s minimal weight on the hitch and no dolly or trailer to deal with!
sgt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #6

What kind of brake system Are you using on the Envision?
rmkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkro View Post
What kind of brake system Are you using on the Envision?
I went with the Blue Ox Patriot II

I installed my baseplate last week and took it out for a 20 mile test drive and everything worked as it should. My brother rode in the passenger seat of the Envision and said the Patriot worked perfectly. The only issue was that the only “always on” 12 volt outlet is in the back cargo area so I picked up an extension and away we went!
Old 10-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #8

Towing a Ford Focus behind our Leprechaun 319MB using a Roadmaster Falcon tow bar and Stay-N-Play brake system.
NHBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Towing a 4wd GMC Canyon behind our 32 ft Freedom Elite 30FE also using a Roadmaster Falcon towbar and Stay-in-Play braking system.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Towed both ways , now using tow dolly . The reason for tow dolly is that we are not keeping toad over three years. Towing four down to me was much easier, but more expensive to set up. The tow dolly takes a bit more to get the toad ready , plus as said before you need to have a place to put it when not in use. The dolly is easy to maneuver , so that’s a plus.
Every time you change to a different toad , a baseplate needs to be installed. I had a body shop install my base plates. The installation is to me , more than I would want to attempt trying to do . The price of base plate and insulation , is + or - $500.00, that’s plus the tow bar, and breaking system,not to mention the wiring of the toad with dioades to be able to plug into Rv turn signals tail lights and brake lights. I think to set up to tow four down , probably around two thousand? Once everything is bought , to change toads cost is going to be around a thousand dollars. A tow dolly with brakes costs 12 to 1500.$ that’s it. Plus normal maintenance. I am sure if you are handy the costs will be much less to set up four down . Just sharing my experience.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #11

Just towed our Envision 1,500 miles and it was flawless except for the gas mileage! 😜
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E674671-0B3C-42A3-BE7C-199C7AE2C641.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	304008  
Old 10-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #12

In 2007 and 2008, we towed a little 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder stick shift with no supplementary brakes. The setup was extremely simple. The car weighed 2100 pounds which I felt was just a bit overweight for towing without supplementary braking.

Starting in 2009, we have been towing a 2006 Jeep Liberty automatic with the 4x4 gear transfer case, equipped with a Unified Tow Brake by US Gear.

In both cases, the towing kits have been Roadmaster. I installed everything myself including the Unified tow brake. Eleven years so far with the 2006 Liberty and all continues to work without issues.

About once every trip, I misjudge an approach which requires a quick disconnect. In those emergency situations, I can unhook very quickly, having my wife drive away in the Liberty in 45 seconds. Once out of the bind, we relocate nearby to hook up again which takes less than 5 minutes.

Needless to say, our plan is to keep our 2006 Jeep Liberty for as long as possible. It does make an excellent tow vehicle that offers storage and a bike rack when desired. Time has been kind to our Jeep. It has only 86,000 driven miles and garage kept. It has roughly 35,000 towed miles that is not reflected in the odometer.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	304094 towed both ways with our Sonic. Tow dolly a pain. 4 down for sure.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:13 AM   #14

Micalculations

I am a new Jayco owner who will drive and tow by myself... what kind of miscalculations caused you to require a second driver to get out of?
I want to avoid these..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
About once every trip, I misjudge an approach which requires a quick disconnect. In those emergency situations, I can unhook very quickly, having my wife drive away in the Liberty in 45 seconds. Once out of the bind, we relocate nearby to hook up again which takes less than 5 minutes.
Averre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, tow, towing