Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #1

Towing with E350

How many towing with a Ford E350? What are you towing and what class hitch do you have installed?
Thank you
Stan
StanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Check the door sticker to find out the capacities of your RV chassis. The receiver on the back of the RV is often at the end of frame extensions on the original chassis, not meant for extreme tongue weight.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #3

I found a large sticker in the cabinet behind the drivers seat and in a cabinet on the rear wall.

That is where all of the weights and towing capacities were listed.

My 1999 30ft E450 has a 3500 lb towing limit, due to the frame extensions, behind the rear spring mounts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:23 PM   #4

My previous MH was a 1997 24' Class C Coachmen, with the V10 engine.. I bought it used, but it came from the factory with a 3,500# hitch. The vehicle was rated (from memory?) with a 10,500# GVWR and an 18,000# GCWR. I had a local welding shop make a heavy duty hitch, which tied into the main frame forward of the frame extension.
I pulled a 25" boat which weighed (with trailer) over 6,000#. Never had any problems towing. Of course the trailer had brakes.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
My previous MH was a 1997 24' Class C Coachmen, with the V10 engine.. I bought it used, but it came from the factory with a 3,500# hitch. The vehicle was rated (from memory?) with a 10,500# GVWR and an 18,000# GCWR. I had a local welding shop make a heavy duty hitch, which tied into the main frame forward of the frame extension.
I pulled a 25" boat which weighed (with trailer) over 6,000#. Never had any problems towing. Of course the trailer had brakes.
You might not have had any problems, but you were exceeding the capacities of the RV. Welding in extra metal doesn't change the limits calculated by the chassis manufacturer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #6

Towing with an E350

Thanks Mich
When I submitted the orig. post that was the information I was interested in. I can read the manufactures spec’s same as anyone else but I’m interested in what real people in the real world are doing. From all the information I can find I don’t believe frame extension is really a negative consideration. If it were then the coaches would have different ratings for different lengths. I really think the manufactures are installing Class II hitches good for 3500 lbs. and then restricting the amount that can be towed. Hell, my dinky little 93 4X4 work truck with a 4.3 V6 and a 3.42 rear end is rated at 4000 lbs. Also both the Curt and Reese hitch data shows a definite difference in allowable tow weights per class of hitch depending on the configuration of the trailer being towed. The reference in those charts are for Trailers not cars. Apparently the more weight on the towed vehicles tires the more weight the hitch can handle. In other words if you’re trailer has 2 wheels back behind center you’re really limited, if you’re trailer has tandem wheels whereby more of the weight is supported by the wheels then the hitch will allow a heavier load to be towed. They don’t reference towing a car where all the weight is on the towed tires. I just read a 5 or 6 page post from Open Roads forum from 2004 where this issue was discussed quite thoroughly and referenced responses from Ford and a couple of manufactures. It is really worth reading. I’ve been shopping for a Class C in the 24 to 26 ft. range for quite some time now and after reading the latest posts on towing had ruled out the E350. I have a Honda CRV that weighs in at 3680 with a full tank of gas and a few things in the back and that would put me over the limit. I really doubt there are very many people replacing there cars or motorhomes for 180 lbs. of weight difference. There seems to be more E350 Class C’s on the used market in my price range than those on the E450 chassis so I’ll widen my search a bit. Thank you
Stan.
StanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
How many towing with a Ford E350? What are you towing and what class hitch do you have installed?
Thank you
Stan
2016 Minnie Winnie & towing a Ford Focus hatchback 4 down, approx. 4000#. OEM installed hitch rated to tow 5000#.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jgaylor
2009 Jeep Wrangler two-door tow it with my 2016 Coachmen leprechaun 220qb E350 v10 toes like a feather
jgaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You might not have had any problems, but you were exceeding the capacities of the RV. Welding in extra metal doesn't change the limits calculated by the chassis manufacturer.
I didn't exceed the Ford rating for the E 350. The custom built hitch was bolted to the main frame, forward of where Coachmen added their frame extension. It was done by a company that knows what they're doing.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:57 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
It's as I can tow 5000 pounds I told my Jeep Wrangler behind my E350 with no problem
Old 02-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #11

We are towing a 2008 Smart car with a dry weight of 1850 lbs. The 27" Minnie has a 3500 lb weight limit on its hitch so no problem there. We are using the NSA Ready Brake towing system connected to a Roadmaster tow bar system with the added NSA braking cable and break-away systems for safety. We also added a 24" X 8" reflective sign on the back that says 'Caution Vehicle In Tow" and reflective side marker strips so we can be seen better at night as the car is dark blue and black. The car is so light we can't tell its there so we added sensors on its tires that use our existing TPMS system we have on the motorhome. Just the right vehicle for the two of us as we explore places the Minnie is too big for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0887.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	152406  
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
My coach is rated to tow 5000 pounds and I tow a 2009 Jeep Wrangler 2 door and it toast like a feather I never know it's there either

Sent from my SM-N920V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

Tags
tow, towing