Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2020, 10:59 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Transport used Class C out of California

We might be buying a used Class C in California and drive it to New Mexico, our home.

If it bought from a private seller, what is required of taxes, fees and etc just to get it out of state to NM?

If bought from a dealer same questions, I have no desire to pay CA's sales tax when NM's is much lower.

Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2020, 05:03 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought my latest rig in Iowa and did not pay anything until I registered in Minnesota. Then sales tax, registration fee, and license plate charges were due. They gave me a 21 day sticker for getting it home. I would think it would work the same. If it is used it may have a CA plate still on it.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
All you need from California is a full tank of fuel, a Bill of Sale, Odometer Statement, and the Title. Not sure if Cal is a "you own the license plate state" but if it is, you will need a license plate. NM can issue temporary transport plates (see your MVD office or the MVD website) if you can't get one in Cal.

Private sellers do not collect taxes in any state.

Most Cal dealers will deliver out of state (either Nevada or Arizona) if the the vehicle will not be registered in Cal.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #4

Most states will issue temporary plates for out-of-state transport. Typically you need to show the title filled out for to the purchaser, a bill-of-sale, and insurance as well as your out-of-state license. Typically the temporary registration is good for thirty days. It is designed so you can transport the vehicle to your home state and register it properly there.

For California, a Temporary Operating Permit is used for non-resident registration. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...cts/ffvr36#top
MikeDeAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:14 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
a few years ago I bought a car in California and didn't want to pay California since I live in Oregon and we don't have sales tax. The solution was the dealer had the car delivered out of state. Don't know if that might be an option for you.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
We might be buying a used Class C in California and drive it to New Mexico, our home.

If it bought from a private seller, what is required of taxes, fees and etc just to get it out of state to NM?

If bought from a dealer same questions, I have no desire to pay CA's sales tax when NM's is much lower.

Thanks
Re buying from a private seller: I bought my rig from a private seller in CA. We closed the deal at his bank, and what I had when I left CA very early the next morning was what luvlabs listed "......a full tank of fuel, a Bill of Sale, Odometer Statement, and the Title."

Drove home with the CA plates on; went down to the CO Dept of Motor Vehicles about a week later with the my aforementioned paperwork (+ a CO emissions sticker) and got all the new paperwork done + new CO plates. Easy.

California did not want any of my money (but CO sure got a big chunk of it ........... lol.) Just my 'sperience; doubt anything has changed re buying from a private seller in CA.

Hope this eases your mind some; sorry, dunno about a dealer transaction.

Good luck with the purchase, and safe travels to ya.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks to everyone who's posted here- it helps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #8

This is murky water, there can be what does the law say, vs what does everyone do, sort of things. Each state combination is different, so the only advice that really matters is people having experience living in New Mexico and buying in California. I bought my current coach in Florida and brought it home to Louisiana, the officially recognized system on the Florida DMV page, is that the out of state buyer needs to go to the Florida DMV, get a Florida temporary travel license plate, good for only a few days, and pay sales tax. Which if less than the sales tax in the buyers home state, Florida and if they two states have a reciprocal taxing agreement then Florida would forward the buyers home state. In the event the buyer lived in a state that did not have reciprocal tax agreement, the buyer would need to pay tax twice. (At the time I bought my coach North Carolina was on that list of states without such an agreement).

I skirted this mess by bringing my own temporary Louisiana license plate, avoiding standing in line at the Florida DMV, though in my case the dollars would have worked out the same, as Louisiana tax was slightly higher than the Florida tax.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #9

Assuming the new MH has current registration, CA is a state where plates go with the vehicle. Seller submits paperwork to DMV to release liability.
If no current registration, then easiest is get a temp transport tag from NM MVD.
I used to live in both states, agree that you want to pay lower NM tax. Private sellers do not collect tax, you take bill of sale and signed title to your state to get new title and plates, and pay the tax.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #10

When I bought a car from Calif and moved it to Oregon the only thing I had was a Bill of Sale - didn't pay Calif one dime.

Kevin
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, class c