Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2021, 05:37 PM   #1

Trickle charger

What is the best trickle charger? I have my coach batteries in my garage. I was told to put on a trickle charger. What is the best?
mchase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 06:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchase1 View Post
What is the best trickle charger? I have my coach batteries in my garage. I was told to put on a trickle charger. What is the best?
I use a Battery Tender. https://www.batterytender.com
Old 01-28-2021, 06:28 PM   #3

Just to be clear, a trickle charger and a battery tender are not the same animal. A trickle charger is an unregulated charger at very low amperage and will turn a brand new battery to junk over the course of a winter. Please don't ask how I know. A battery tender is a somewhat intelligent device that senses battery voltage and turns the charger on and off at appropriate voltages thereby avoiding ruining the battery. The term trickle charger is many times used to refer to battery tenders these days. Just make sure of what you are buying, you want a battery tender. They range from $5 at Harbor Freight to several hundred $ for a multi battery setup. You probably want something in between.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:54 AM   #4

Since 2001 we use Battery Tenders Plus and Battery Tender Jr. for our boats and lawn tractors batteries. Batteries are hooked up to the Battery Tenders from October to May. We learned the hard way that a low voltage boat battery will freeze and die completely during a cold Northern Michigan winter.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:13 AM   #5
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I have used Battery Tender Plus for many years on boats, lawn equipment and the camper. The current camper has a smart converter charging the house batteries all winter. The Battery Tender Plus is on the chassis battery in the camper all winter. I check the house batteries about once a month & add water as needed.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:10 AM   #6

Thanks everyone you have been very helpful!
mchase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:35 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tenders/ trickle chargers, either one, ALWAYS CHECK w/ a VOLT METER occasionally; even a NEW one or (nearly new) can be BAD/ Low output, when You THINK it is doing its job, it is not.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:03 PM   #8

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ner-63350.html

I have been using this one. It will charge and maintain. The charge is a low amp charge.
Weeds636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:16 AM   #9

mchas1-

First off, welcome to iRV2!

Re: Battery charger. I have used a BatteryMINDer model 12248 for several years. It works well. It has interchangeable charging clips and a battery temperature sensor. The 12248 appears to be discontinued. The replacement looks to be the 128CEC1. You can buy one here.

Finally, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
mchas1-

First off, welcome to iRV2!

Re: Battery charger. I have used a BatteryMINDer model 12248 for several years. It works well. It has interchangeable charging clips and a battery temperature sensor. The 12248 appears to be discontinued. The replacement looks to be the 128CEC1. You can buy one here.

Finally, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.
I have several of the same brand but have the one mentioned on my MH house bank of 8 GC AGMs.
I have been very satisfied with BatteryMinder and their tech reps are helpful. I permanently mounted the 12248 on the MH.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:00 PM   #11

Another vote for Battery Tender!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger