RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #1

Trying to figure out 12V wiring (Winnebago Outlook)

My 2008 Winnie has a 40 A fuse in the right forward compartment. All of the 12V runs through this fuse. 40A is a bit low for e.g. an inverter. I need to replace the fuse and that of course requires bigger sized cables.

So I am trying to figure out which wire / circuit does what. I checked all applicable wiring diagrams and I understand the purpose of the battery disconnect relay and the battery mode solenoid.

But here's a puzzling problem. And it's kind of tough to explain. It boils down to this: With the house batteries disconnected, shouldn't the alternator provide power to the house circuits? Mind you, this is a theoretical question though I tried it out and no, it doesn't.

But .. why not? After all, the alternator (via the battery disconnect relay) and the 12V buss bar feeding the 40A main fuse both connect to the cable running to the battery. So there's seems to be a path from the alternator via the 40A main breaker to the house power distribution center.

What am I missing?

Michaela
mischmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 07:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
start here

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_163530.pdf

lots of stuff on winnebago site foor wiring and more,,,
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:42 AM   #3

Alternator power goes to the chassis battery only.

When conditions are met ( charging ), the chassis battery connects to the house battery, at or near the battery.
If the disconnect is off, it can't get to the house load center.

Inverters are typically wired directly to the battery with their own fuse, not thru a common bus.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:51 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Michaela-

You don't mention which Outlook model you own: 29B, 31C or 31H. Also, is it on a Chevrolet or Ford chassis?

According to the wiring diagram set for a 29B (link here) as an example, the following must be true for 12V from the alternator to reach the house loads, assuming all wiring is correct and intact:

1) Engine must be running
2) Alternator must be working correctly
3) BATTERY MODE SOLENOID must be working correctly
4) AUX BATT switch near entrance door must be on
5) COACH BREAKER PANEL (40A) circuit breaker in chassis electrical box must not be tripped

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Inverters are typically wired directly to the battery with their own fuse, not thru a common bus.
"twinboat" is correct. You can connect a small inverter to your existing 12V system, staying within the current limits for the fuse feeding the circuit and the 40A breaker feeding all the house loads. If you wish to install a larger inverter, you wire directly to the battery, with its own fuse.

Converter/chargers (such as the one in your coach) and inverters can get along. Converter/chargers and inverter/chargers often do not get along. Should you want to install an inverter/charger, read up on what changes to the converter/charger installation you will need to make.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #5

Thank you very much. Whenever I get a new (to us) RV, I try to figure out everything as much as I can to be able to anticipate or fix troubles down the road.

Our rig is a model WF329B on an E450 chassis.

I am still deep into the 12V electrical system. It is working alright (I had to change the blown converter/charger) but I still am ripping it apart in order to study it (and putting it back together)

I am currently hunting for that solenoid in the engine compartment responsible for connecting the alternator to the house batteries. I know that the house batteries are being charged from the alternator, so the system is working. I just can't locate the solenoid. I tried the "clicking" method (pushing the emergency power button in the cabin), but nothing clicks (house batteries are disconnected). And starting the engine doesn't click anything either (or its too darn loud with all those signals and fans turning on).

I need to find that solenoid to be able to locate the cable going from it to the house batteries so that I can put a DC-DC converter into the line to prepare lithium once I can afford it.

So .. anybody has an idea where to look for that solenoid? And .. secondly .. can I tell by the look at the alternator, what capabilities in terms of Amps it might have?

Thanks again.

Michaela
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winnie_alternator.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	305128  
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #6

Ok. Never mind. Stupid me. I was staring at at for the last two days but got confused by a freakin' Youtube video. The solenoid is actually located in the forward power compartment (passenger side). I reconnected everything and sure enough, a click test made it easy to find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winnie_forward_box.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	305137  

Tags
winnebago, wiring