Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 03:51 AM   #1

TV in the bedroom

Hello everyone I have a 2015 class c and have a TV mounted over the sleepover. which I can watch while sitting at the dinette or on the sofa. it's okay to watch it for a short time as far as being comfortable. Now I would like to add a TV in the bedroom. There is a outlet an antenna hookup available where I would like to mount the TV. But there are certain outlets that only work when hooked up to shore power or when I have the generator running and that outlet is one of them. Even when I have the inverter on. Any idea why they would make it this way? Also are there special TVs that I need for RVs such as 12 Volt TVs. Thanks.
on2thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 04:28 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
That is a little bit of a confusing read, are you saying that you have an outlet where the tv you want to put only works with shore or generator? You also want it to work from the inverter?

Inverters are limited wattage so if they were to connect all the outlets to it your batteries would be dead in no time. They use to make 12v tvs and may still but I have not seen any for a long time. I would do a google for 12v tv and you will probably find all the info you need. Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for!
Old 03-27-2015, 04:57 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
All of your 110 outlets should work when on shore or genny power. Unless someone did a special installation of an outlet like I did. READ HERE:

http://www.2001mirada.com/installing...watt-inverter/

12 volt DC powered TVs -

You can purchase TVs that are sold with cords that will allow operation on 110 or 12 volts.

However - A lot of TVs will operate on 12 volts, but are not marketed or sold as such, They come with a plugin power supply that plugs into the 110 outlet, The power supply outputs 12 volts that plugs into the TV.

The only way you will find these are to look specifically at the TV. If the TVs power cord has one of those power supplies like the ones in the photos, its possible it may run directly on 12 volts DC. The only way to find out is to look at the power supply, It will tell you what the output voltage is. If its 12 volts DC, your in business.

Here is a short article I wrote - I specifically moved the TVs from the 110 outlets and they both now operate from the 12 volt coach battery.

Installing and upgrading TVs | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

TV ANTENNA

As for the Antenna, you'll probably need to run the cable back to the TV. You can probably put a splitter in line either at the antenna amplifier or somewhere in the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PwrSupply_2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	89710  
Attached Images

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #4

If there is already an antenna jack at that location it should be tied into the main antenna already.
As Waiter21 stated, yes there are 12volt TVs still made, I have a Jensen that is 12volt or 110.
Also a little confused by your post, are you saying you have some outlets that just work on shore power and other outlets that just work on genny power?
Old 03-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #5

What I have said in my post is that there are certain outlets in my coach that only work when hooked up to shore power or when the Generator is running. The remaining outlets in the front of the coach will work with my inverter, shore power ,or generator.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by on2thenext View Post
What I have said in my post is that there are certain outlets in my coach that only work when hooked up to shore power or when the Generator is running. The remaining outlets in the front of the coach will work with my inverter, shore power ,or generator.
I thought that is what you were saying but not sure. As I said the inverter can only power so much so they limit the number of outlets connected to it. I assume you are hoping to power the tv in your bedroom while dry camping. To change that may become involved. A quick fix if you can't find a 12v tv might be to buy a small inexpensive inverter that is large enough to power the tv. A lot of inverters you just plug the 120v right into it. Hope that helps
Old 03-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Here is a 500watt that should power a tv no problem.
http://www.amazon.com/ENERGIZER-Inve...+watt+inverter

About $35 and I am sure you can find cheaper. Read the label on tv and see how many watts it uses and get an inverter a little bigger than that. I think a 24" lcd tv probably only uses 100w or so.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #8

Last week, I bought this TV

Amazon.com: Proscan PLEDV1945 19-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV-DVD Combo: Electronics

For our RV, along with a 12v cigarette lighter adapter, and mounted it in the big hole up front where an old tube TV used to be. It's lightweight, great picture, and has a built in DVD player. Very pleased with it.
Johnp292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #9

It looks like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	89756
Johnp292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #10

Wouldn't it be just as easy if I ran a extension cord to one of the outlets upfront that works on the inverter to the bedroom when I want to watch TV
Old 03-28-2015, 04:29 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by on2thenext View Post
Wouldn't it be just as easy if I ran a extension cord to one of the outlets upfront that works on the inverter to the bedroom when I want to watch TV
It would be but it didn't sound like that was the solution you were looking for
Old 03-28-2015, 05:35 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yes;

If the goal is to get power to the TV as quickly and as easy as possible, that will achieve the goal.

Other options that could be explored:

1) Install a 110 Inverter outlet in the bedroom

2) Install a 12 volt TV in the bedroom.

I chose option 2 when I did mine. This option is initially a lot of work, but once its complete, I don't have to worry about tripping over extension cords running through the MH, AND, I have the lowest power consumption on my battery.

NOTE - John, nice little TV, good price, AND its 12 volts and DVD player :-)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:39 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I have the lowest power consumption on my battery.
Always the best option as inverter waste energy, flip side the cost of the 12v tv. Solutions and answers are supplied now he has what he needs to decide what works best for him
Old 04-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I installed a 12V TV (18") in my bedroom. I plug it in to an outlet that is wired directly to the house 6V batteries with a fuse inline. I bought an RCA TV that has two power cords (12V and 110V) from Amazon. It has a built -in DVD player and was not that expensive. When on shore power, I use the 110V cord.
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote