Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #1

TV questions

We have a sunsetter 2300 and i wondered if the tv runs on ac or dc.
bugsydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Easiest way to tell - does it plug into an outlet (120v AC) or is it wired in directly (12v DC)?
anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsydog View Post
We have a sunsetter 2300 and i wondered if the tv runs on ac or dc.

The newer ones are 12 volt. Not sure when they switched though.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #4

Anav8or, i think it is wired in. So that means to watch tv, i am using the batteries. If i watch 4 to 5 hours of tv, is that going to drain the batteries a lot. I watch a lot of tv. That is if i can get the reception.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #5

Also if my batteries do run down, how can i charge them with the generater. I have never owned a generater and im sorry i dont know anything about them.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:31 AM   #6

What year is your sunseeker? The newer ones have dual coach batteries which will help in your battery run time.

The 12 v tv are fairly efficient but there are so many variables (age and condition of your batteries, are they fully charged when you start and most importantly, what else are you running at the same time) that it is hard to say how many tv hours you will get.

A couple of things to keep in mind

1. If you are plugged into shore power, you will have almost unlimited 12v power if everything is working properly. Your converter takes the 120v power and uses some of it to charge your batteries and thus provide 12 v power too

2. Running the generator works the same way. It provides 120 volt power that the converter again uses to charge your batteries and provide 12 v power as well as 120 v. If your sunseeker is of recent vintage this is all automatic when you turn the generator on. If it's older you may have to plug a cord in for the generator to work.

3. Since you mentioned that you never owned a generator, do be cautious of the generator exhaust if you are occupying the rv and be sure your carbon monoxide detector is working. 99% of the time there is no issue with generator exhaust entering the rv but the 1% of the time it happens the results can be deadly.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:16 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer is complex, but most Televisions in RV's are designed for shore power use 120vac. Very few are designed for battery power (13.6, not 12) though as it happens some can be converted, very easily in fact (Quick trip to Radio Shack (while they last) is all that is needed. Once RS closes it's doors finding the proper plug will be a bit harder but there are still parts stores out there.

And some RV's have invertes, these convert 12-14 VDC to 120vac for use by the TV.

Finally: ALL televisions run on DC, voltage varies, but they all Run on DC, but that is INTERNALLY, what they plug into can be most anything.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:22 AM   #8

I put a 12 volt TV in my RV. But the RV system varies from 11.8 to 14.3 volts. That's no problem for lights and fans but the TV would blow fuses.

I had to put in an inverter and run it off 120 volts. Later I instilled a voltage stabilizer to guarantee a 12 volts supply.

When the TV is on 12 volts it takes 2-3 amps, depending on how loud the speakers are turned up.

On 120 volts the usage ran up to 5-6 amps. About double.

Switching back to 12 volts, with the regulator it is now at 2 to 3 amps again. Very little loss in the regulator.

This doesn't mean much for your Seneca since it is most likely running an inverter to use the TV on 120 volts all the time.

Just keep in mind that your TV is probably using 6-8 amps, or more if it's bigger than 24".