Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #29

Holy bat poop Batman. Consistently getting over 10 mpg in one of those rigs is not good it is spectacular. Can't wait to read the reviews on these.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonandDeb View Post
My MB diesel is averaging about 13mpg, from what the dash says anyway..
Are you pulling a toad? Or constantly in stop and go traffic? That seems awfully low for a small diesel C.

We get 17-20 with our diesel Winnebago Fuse and I have understood that the MB and Ford diesels are about equivalent in terms of fuel economy.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:55 PM   #31

I have noticed that one variable not brought up much is "cruising speed". The problem with the Ford V10 (assumed to be worse yet with the bigger V8) is that it is very common that they cruise faster than people driving Sprinters. I can't explain it. I simply notice that when Sprinter owners bring up their cruising speed, it's roughly 7 to 10 mph slower than people in an E-series.

It would be very interesting to take two rigs (E350-V10 versus Sprinter diesel) with the exact same house and contents, then travel in caravan style for a real comparison of fuel economy. Phoenix USA used to build model 2350 on the E350-V10 and also on the Sprinter-diesel, a perfect scenario.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:36 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I have noticed that one variable not brought up much is "cruising speed". The problem with the Ford V10 (assumed to be worse yet with the bigger V8) is that it is very common that they cruise faster than people driving Sprinters. I can't explain it. I simply notice that when Sprinter owners bring up their cruising speed, it's roughly 7 to 10 mph slower than people in an E-series.

It would be very interesting to take two rigs (E350-V10 versus Sprinter diesel) with the exact same house and contents, then travel in caravan style for a real comparison of fuel economy. Phoenix USA used to build model 2350 on the E350-V10 and also on the Sprinter-diesel, a perfect scenario.
First I will admit that I am not a young person, 75 next month, and it has been my observation that folks younger than me drive much faster. I would guess that folks who own the Sprinter chassis would tend to be older than many who own a gas Class C. Our 40 foot diesel pusher drives and handles nicely at 70 to 75 but we keep the cruise at 63 to 65 MPH. I have been sailing along at 65 and had many a gas Class C pass me at 75 or 80. Guess they have a schedule to keep - I don't.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #33

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Are you pulling a toad? Or constantly in stop and go traffic? That seems awfully low for a small diesel C.

We get 17-20 with our diesel Winnebago Fuse and I have understood that the MB and Ford diesels are about equivalent in terms of fuel economy.
No toad, but that's sticking close to home driving. Should have mentioned that. First trip isn't for a few weeks. I'm hoping for 17 plus on the highway but would be happy with at least 15.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
I have been sailing along at 65 and had many a gas Class C pass me at 75 or 80. Guess they have a schedule to keep - I don't.

Bob
Bob, you bring up an excellent point. A working family with limited vacation time, wants to cut down on transit time so that they can gain a day each way driving hard, long and fast. A 16 day vacation knocking off 2 days of travel across the country, is a serious amount of extra "destination" time.

When we were young with young kids and limited vacation time, our rig was a slug so speeding was not an option. We made up the time by driving 24/7. It was great to let the kids sleep while we drove through the night. Now-a-days, safety is such a big focus and is the law, we'd be arrested for letting the children sleep on the beds.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:17 AM   #35

Quote:

When we were young with young kids and limited vacation time, our rig was a slug so speeding was not an option. We made up the time by driving 24/7. It was great to let the kids sleep while we drove through the night. Now-a-days, safety is such a big focus and is the law, we'd be arrested for letting the children sleep on the beds.
I am waiting for the self drive motorhomes to come out and load in the address where to go and go back and take a nap and hope to wake up in my vacation spot..

jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:04 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
I am waiting for the self drive motorhomes to come out and load in the address where to go and go back and take a nap and hope to wake up in my vacation spot..

Now you're talking! That would be awesome.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:26 AM   #37

GM is beginning to install its’ super cruise system in some of its vehicles. Although not totally autonomous, it performs a lot of the driving tasks. I suspect Ford will not be far behind so in the next 5 years, significant enhancements in driving functions will occur.
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrver View Post
GM is beginning to install its’ super cruise system in some of its vehicles. Although not totally autonomous, it performs a lot of the driving tasks. I suspect Ford will not be far behind so in the next 5 years, significant enhancements in driving functions will occur.
And I am sure it will help those in the legal profession! You can almost smell the lawsuits.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Now-a-days, safety is such a big focus and is the law, we'd be arrested for letting the children sleep on the beds.
Is that right? Is it really illegal for someone to sleep on a bed in an RV when it is on the road?

Seems a bit excessive.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #40

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Is that right? Is it really illegal for someone to sleep on a bed in an RV when it is on the road?

Seems a bit excessive.
It's true, it's illegal. You cannot have occupants sleeping in a bed while you are driving. The only way you can sleep is with a seatbelt on and sitting up.

Even the slightest accident can send them flying. Not that people don't do it, but it's just not safe, any way you look at it.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #41

We picked up our new Coach House RV last month and drove it 1200 miles home to Texas. Set trip monitor in dash to track journey. Drove various speeds but averaged 70mph. Gas mileage in computer was 10.9 with the Godzilla drivetrain. Did not track manually. Coach House is very aerodynamic so a 11 mpg is possible if I lowered my speed to 62mph. Did not tow.
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrver View Post
We picked up our new Coach House RV last month and drove it 1200 miles home to Texas. Set trip monitor in dash to track journey. Drove various speeds but averaged 70mph. Gas mileage in computer was 10.9 with the Godzilla drivetrain. Did not track manually. Coach House is very aerodynamic so a 11 mpg is possible if I lowered my speed to 62mph. Did not tow.
Yea I drive 62-65 mph and my reading is 11.9 average so far on the dash monitor, I am also getting around 13 mpg at 65 mph flat road.

Ford has done very well with this motor so far I hope it has a non issue repair problems down the road, so far heard very few issues from the 2020 Trucks other than the 10 speed trans issue.

The 10 speed trans was one of my reasons not to buy the Transit class B+ cause the 10 speeds seem to have issues after a while, also heard there is now a recall on the Ford 10 speed, the 6 speed trans has been in service since 2016 and has had very few issues.

The 6 speed Torque shift is the same as the 5 speed just one more overdrive, the 5 speed was also a great transmission.

I sold my class A 2008 with the V-10 and 5 speed, great motor and trans, zero issues at 52,000 miles when I sold it and seemed it would last other 100,000 without issues, I hope the same for the V-8..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas