Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2021, 09:59 AM   #1

Upkeep and Maintenance

Not including loan payments, fuel, insurance, registration, and RV parks, how much does it cost you per year just for upkeep, maintenance, and repairs on your Class C? Of course realizing that a brand new unit will cost less for these procedures than a used unit due to a warranty being in effect. I'm also curious to know if you had a separate extended service agreement, for a used unit, whether it saved you on costs for these procedures in the long run?

Thanks Again for any and all input.

Old Man Dave
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #2

Dave,

Will need to know if you do all of your own work, some if it or use your credit card for 100% of it. Labor is a significant part of maintenance costs.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:33 AM   #3

In the boating community , the yearly cost of maintaining a boat is estimated to be approx. 10% of boat value.

For MH's my experience the cost of yearly maintenance has been about 5% of MH value .
Some years less , some years more , but on average for me 5% .

This is based on my storing the MH in our shop at home .
Bill Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #4

So far with my 2019 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22r on the Ford E-350 chassis and with 12,500 miles my only fixed cost is $50.00/month for outside storage and an annual oil/filter change( $80 at my service center). Winnebago recommended an initial front end alignment ($125) and thats been it so far. Assuming a purchase price of $65-$70,000 if I had to pay $3500(5%) to $7000 (10%) per YEAR for maintenance costs I can assure you that it would be sold ASAP. As time goes on I am sure tires will need to be replaced (aged out) and maybe new shocks. Maybe I have just been lucky?
Old 05-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #5

It depends on what you are able to do by yourself and/or with your friends. In addition, what improvements you want to make to your unit. In five years, I don't think I spent $500 on maintenance as with my friends I have been able to make the maintenance. However, on improvements I have spent about $1,000 on suspension improvement parts. I installed them with my brother-in-law. I bought it new in 2017, this might be a difference.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
In the boating community , the yearly cost of maintaining a boat is estimated to be approx. 10% of boat value.

For MH's my experience the cost of yearly maintenance has been about 5% of MH value .
Some years less , some years more , but on average for me 5% .

This is based on my storing the MH in our shop at home .

When I speak of maintenance and ownership it includes the following because this is what the actual cost includes .

- Every year
2 engine oil changes with filter ( Spring and Fall )
Wash and wax twice a year ( Spring and Fall )
Brake and suspension inspection every Spring
Registration ( I know the question didn't include it but all costs need to be considered )
Insurance ( same as above )
Financing ( same as above )
Fuel ( same as above )
Storage ( if applicable )

- Every 3 years
All the above plus
In addition to engine oil changes , transmission and rear differential fluid change.

- Every 5 years
All the above except tranny and rear diff.
Serpentine Belt
Tires
Brake fluid change
Power steering fluid change
Brakes
Batteries

Plus the numerous hidden costs that constantly come up , HW tank control panel , Furnace service , to name a couple.
Bill Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #7

I have a brand new one and the list of things I’ve fixed is just enormous. After spending time talking to the dealer when I purchased it was very clear that I wouldn’t be bringing it back to them for anything. I’m glad I have the warranty it gives me something to wipe my hands off with after fixing things on the RV. I couldn’t give you a cost of labor but I have bought quite a few parts
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:29 PM   #8

Between $100-$200 month. Accumulates in a savings "account" and it's there for tires, etc when needed. I learned how to winterize and de-winterize myself, saves 2 service calls. I also change the generator oil once a year. The Ford E 450 is comparatively easy to service or find service for.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:43 PM   #9

Bill, some of the things you listed are specified by Ford according to mileage not years. For example according to my Ford manual, the serpentine belt be replaced at 100,000 miles, the transmission oil change at 60,000. For some of us that is more than the three or five years you mentioned. In my experience, enclosed storage and fuel are the biggest expenditures, other than camping sites. Tires will be my next big expenditures but I am not yet there.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:04 PM   #10

Appreciate all of the input from you folks. I guess I am interested to know how often big ticket expenses happen and the costs so that I can plan for the worst case scenario. I am not handy at all and, at my age, don't know whether I have the inclination to learn how to be handy. So, I am left with deciding how to plan for the possibility of big ticket expenses if I want to own a motor home. It's either that or purchase an extended service plan. Knowing how other RV'ers handle their upkeep, maintenance, and repair expenses allows me to understand what I am getting into.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:22 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Big expenses new 15k ac/heat pump failed after 4 years leaked refrigerant, one slide motor. Both cost me $250.00. I do the small stuff oil change, tranny, brake fluid renew. I have an extended warranty for repairs. New tires $1200.00, brakes soon. I also have a roadside tire plan. Batteries is another $150.00 for a pair.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #12

Floridastorm, if you are not handy, I suggest you put aside about $150-$200/month for maintenance as labor is more expensive than most parts. I would not buy an extended warranty as for many of us is a waste of money.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #13

How many times, if ever, have you folks been stopped alongside the road, either day or night, with a mechanical breakdown? This would be a breakdown that would not allow you to move your RV any further without repair. Do you have something like Coach.net of FMCA roadside assistance with their towing, tire replacement, mobile mechanic, and accommodation reimbursement for overnight repairs? For those motor homes that are out of warranty are you able to find repair shops on the road that can do the work in a timely manner without drastically modifying your plans? In other words are these things manageable while on the road and how best do you cope with them?
Old 08-05-2021, 07:22 PM   #14

Most campgrounds know mechanics that come to you. I learned not to be in a rush. Only once I had to ask for this kind of service.
JONWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance