Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2023, 06:14 PM   #1

V 10 dies at stop light

2016 E350 leprechaun with ford v10. This is our 1st trip in our new to us leprechaun with 36500 miles. Engine runs fine in all situations but occasionally (1 or 2 times per day will die while slowing to a stop sign. It immediately starts back up. It does not indicate any check engine lights on dash and I dont have a reader if it did. Stopped at ford dealer but they did not work on motorhomes and did not have any suggestions. Has happened on the first 2 days of our trip.
The biggest concern is the momentary lapse of power steering and brakes. Any ideas on what this could be. Thanks much.
Randy
denali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2023, 06:37 PM   #2

Locate a Ford Heavy Truck Service Center near you .

They can handle your Class C . We have a Truck Center near our home and they do all the heavy service on the engine and drive chain on our Class C . At one shop I had to remind the shop manager that underneath the house is all Ford .

If you can do a DYI , check YouTube for videos of the condition you're experiencing and the fixes.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 06:55 PM   #3

Some auto part stores will plug in a code reader and do a test.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 07:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Check the connection at your idle bypass valve. It controls your engine idle speed. If a bad connection, it won't open to maintain idle speed, and engine dies when you come to a stop and take your foot off the throttle.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 09:01 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would consider replacing the fuel filter. Chassis is 7 years old and 36500 miles. It's due maintenance wise.

As Twinboat mentioned, have the codes read at the parts store while getting the filter. Many codes can set as pending, without turning on the check engine light. PCM is programmed to wait for 2 failures before the light shines. If enough drive cycles occur between failures, the light may never shine.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 09:31 PM   #6

If you plan to keep rv.. it's time you have your own scanner with nice thick book.. never leave home with out mine.. one that is able to record live data.. when my van was doing this.. it was e gr. But as suggested above.. could be those.. anyway.. a scanner that captures live data will at least give you something to tell shop..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-16-2023, 09:39 PM   #7

For a Ford chassis:
Forscan (free software for Windows), a cheap laptop, and this scanner are a trouble shooting killer combo. Best $35 I've spent on my rig.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rch_asin_title
Old 04-16-2023, 10:10 PM   #8

I have a scanner at home. Will check for codes next week when I get back. Will update when I get it figured out. Thanks for input.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:23 PM   #9

A long shot but our E350 based Motorhome did some goofy things when the transmission fluid was low. After a 10,000 foot drop out of the mountains in Oaxaca mexico, all in first gear (for braking) it somehow managed to use up some transmission fluid. When it came to a stop light or a stop it kind of lock up and stall the motor. Filled it up and all was well.

Like I say, just a king shot.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 10:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Check the connection at your idle bypass valve. It controls your engine idle speed. If a bad connection, it won't open to maintain idle speed, and engine dies when you come to a stop and take your foot off the throttle.
V10 ford that year has no iac or idle bypass valve it has etb ( electronic throttle body)
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 01:43 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
V10 ford that year has no iac or idle bypass valve it has etb ( electronic throttle body)
Thanks for that. I'm an old guy that has worked on old stuff.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 09:51 PM   #12

One thing you might try is clean the MAF sensor. It's in the air intake and they sell a special spray that is the only stuff that wont damage it. It measures air flow and a dirty one can give you those symptoms.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 11:18 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is one for some models/ years: https://www.ebay.com/itm/16537065586...994767351d90c6
Old 04-19-2023, 08:22 AM   #14

We are still limping down the Oregon coast. Have not found a ford dealer with time to fit me in. Found a repair shop to do a code read but no codes showing. At 500 rpm tach spikes then dies. This is a long shot but i had to get a new battery before our trip and the vehicle sat without a battery for a couple days. May try just re-hooking battery up can't hurt. Also running in tow mode helps keep rpms up until stopped. Looks like I have work to do when I get back.

Tags
light