RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #1

V10 Class C mileage

Hello, For a family emergency Ive rented a 24ft class c with the ford V10 a 2012 unit. From your experience can you tell me your mileage at what cruising speeds you get. Tryin to forecast fuel stops etc.

Another thing what is your experience using truck stops etc to get a little rest going from florida to Louisiana. along I 10
Thanks for your help

hlagooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #2

Figure 8 MPG.

Flying J / Pilot stations welcome RVs to stay overnight. Park up front with the cars, not in back with the trucks.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #3

I get any where from seven and a half to nine and a half. All based on the terrain. Sweet spot seams to be around 62 mph. That's where I get the best. This is also towing a short 16ft deck car trailer. I have gotten almost 450 miles out of a tank. Usually fill around 375 miles.I'm 32 ft long.
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlagooty View Post
Hello, For a family emergency Ive rented a 24ft class c with the ford V10 a 2012 unit. From your experience can you tell me your mileage at what cruising speeds you get. Tryin to forecast fuel stops etc.

Another thing what is your experience using truck stops etc to get a little rest going from florida to Louisiana. along I 10
Thanks for your help

It all depends on your weight and how hilly it is I get about 9 miles about 32ft long.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #5

With my 27Ft I have averaged 8.8 mpg going the speed limit (65-75) over 28,000 miles.
The lowest was 7.5 and the highest was 9.7 Those are tank fill-up numbers. The low was either high head winds or going up hill. I figure 400 miles per tank is a good stating point. Just start planning ahead when the tank is half full.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #6

8 MPG and I never go below 1/3 of tank in hot weather to help keep the immersed fuel pump cool. Some people carry elephant dust for good luck.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses. I have an 84 winnie class a with 454 that gets close to this mileage, 6 1/2 -7 mpg. cant use it for this trip as its 1300 miles away. Im surprised that the newer v10 hasn't made a lot of improvement but it is what it is. Is cruisng with the class c at 65 mph going to drastically effect mileage? We will be light just two people and only stuff for 4 days on board.
hlagooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #8

I am surprised that people still ask questions on fuel mileage.
That should be a least concern. Over 40 years of pulling everything with a hitch and driving every Rv powered by an engine gas or diesel fuel mileage was never something I worried about. My wife and I agreed years ago If it was a concern for us we could not afford it.

Now with that said my gas gauge was not in the RV it was my bank account. We do what we can afford. That makes for the best vacation.
FUEL INCLUDED
We also look at budgeting in reverse!! What is that?
We add hotel fees that we don’t pay and give that a + credit to the bank account.
Of course this is only a paper game but it works to justify if our Vacation was worth it.
We never had a bad vacation in almost 50 years of marriage.
You only live once and gas mileage should never be part of vacations ALL RVS SUCK FOR GAS MILEAGE.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlagooty View Post

Thanks for your help
For fuel stops start with 7.5 - easy simple to use - 20 Gallons = 150 miles....

If you are driving I-10 you will need more than a Little Rest - that road will beat you to Death - did it once some 20 years ago - Never again.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #10

You're absolutely correct... one way or another you're going to pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
I am surprised that people still ask questions on fuel mileage.
That should be a least concern. Over 40 years of pulling everything with a hitch and driving every Rv powered by an engine gas or diesel fuel mileage was never something I worried about. My wife and I agreed years ago If it was a concern for us we could not afford it.

Now with that said my gas gauge was not in the RV it was my bank account. We do what we can afford. That makes for the best vacation.
FUEL INCLUDED
We also look at budgeting in reverse!! What is that?
We add hotel fees that we donít pay and give that a + credit to the bank account.
Of course this is only a paper game but it works to justify if our Vacation was worth it.
We never had a bad vacation in almost 50 years of marriage.
You only live once and gas mileage should never be part of vacations ALL RVS SUCK FOR GAS MILEAGE.
YES, it's all relative, fuel, hotels, etc.

Which is WHY....I decided to go smaller and not get a Class C......

My rig gets 18-20 MPG..... over the course of 200,000 miles, if I can make it that far, this adds up to a lot of money....

It all depends on what you want....
MWeiner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #11

People asking about MPG makes perfect sense to me.
It's not always about "afford" .
AK-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-AZ View Post
People asking about MPG makes perfect sense to me.
It's not always about "afford" .
I heartily agree. Mileage is always a consideration when I look at buying a new RV. In my view the idea that you can't afford it if you have to ask is just silly since the cost of mileage is a monthly, and hence budget cost, and I like to make sure I am living within my budget.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #13

Depends a lot on hills and winds, but I get 7.0 to 8.5. I think I average long-term about 7.5. That’s on a 33’ model with the V10, towing a Honda CRV, so you should do a little better. Also some difference between the older models with 4-speed trans, or newer 5-speed (mine).
Old 05-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #14

Fuel economy is always important

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I heartily agree. Mileage is always a consideration when I look at buying a new RV. In my view the idea that you can't afford it if you have to ask is just silly since the cost of mileage is a monthly, and hence budget cost, and I like to make sure I am living within my budget.
Over time fuel is the most expensive commodity you put in your vehicle.....

MWeiner is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, v10