RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2020, 06:14 AM   #1

Valve Stem Extensions

Please help, so many things I hear about valve stem extensions I'm confused.
I have a 2020 Greyhawk 29MV with the hub caps, and you can't check pressures unless they are removed. What extensions are the best and have not had problems with linking air.

Thanks in advance for your replys
Lucygirl2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2020, 06:36 AM   #2

Enter "valve stem extensions" in the search box and you'll see a recent thread with everything you need to know.

You are in good company with the confusion. Even dealers don't know about this topic. Some ford dealers are clueless. You'll want to find a tire shop or rv service center that "gets it".
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:47 AM   #3

If you have to check the air with the wheel covers off, then someone put them on wrong. There should be holes in yours (which look exactly like mine) that line up with the valve stems.

Correctly placed rear wheel liners should have one hole over a valve stem. 180 degrees opposite that should be the hole to check the inner dual wheel.

That doesn't change the fact that they are hard to check. As suggested, a good tire shop that works on trucks should be able to fix them so you can check them. Your average tire dealer won't normally work on RVs or big trucks.

I had my inner dual wheel valve stem changed so that I could check it with a dual chuck tire pressure gauge. But it's still a PITA.

My personal recommendation is to avoid valve stem extensions and go with longer steel valve stems that stick out away from the wheel liner and in the case of the inner dual wheel, are longer to allow you to check them using the dual chuck pressure gauge.

Just my .02 worth. I've had valve stem extensions, but not great luck with them.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go with metal valve stems and, better still, aluminum wheels. Avoid any type of extension as they are practically guaranteed to cause trouble.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:54 AM   #5

Check yourtireshopsupply.com for one piece valves for your chassis.

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...rd-dodge-class

The stems I bought there for my Ford F53 solved the problems I was having with extensions and have made inflating the rear tires much easier. They're not cheap, but once you have the installed, you will be glad you did.

You will find many posts about the Borg dually stems available from the site and I don't recall one negative post about the stem kits.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:43 AM   #6

Our rig is now 13 years old. Still undisturbed are the original tires (please be kind concerning age of tires) and the original stainless braided valve stem extensions. They have never leaked, but they have never been tampered with, and our rig is stored indoors. Some people have had issues with these leaking. I've been lucky.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:28 AM   #7

If you can't get to the inner tire's valve stem through the hole in the cover, then perhaps your tire shop needs to re-clock the tires.

Re-clocking is putting the tires on the hub so that the valve stems are at 180 degrees from each other, or in whatever position is necessary for you to be able to access the inner valve stem.

When I bought our current coach the first stop was a tire shop to have one of the rear duals re-clocked. The seller had new tires put on, but they were not installed in the correct position and I was unable to check the pressure on the inner tire.

No extensions and potential leaks necessary.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Just my 'sperience, Lucygirl ---- FWIW:

I tried the source (for Borg Dually Valve Stems) mentioned in post #5, but with my Alcoa wheels they wanted to know what angle I wanted. I didn't have a clue so, at their suggestion, I called the folks here ... and they knew exactly what I needed.

https://www.shinyrv.com/product/dual...nd-hole-dl4ac/

I took the hardware I rec'd to Les Schwab Tires and they installed the Borg stems and stabilizers for about $85 IIRC. They said it was a simple job cuz they don't have to dismount the tire ......... only break the bead.

I can now check the tire pressure/add air to either of the duals without even getting down on one knee. LUV it. Kind of pricey, I guess, but it is "once and done" for sure.

Please know that the Borg stem on the inner dual is so long that it is nigh impossible to spin balance that tire. I took a pair of "Centramatics" to Schwab at the time of the stem installation and had them put them on ..... so no dealer-balancing needed. Possibly overkill, as many owners with our 16" wheels do not balance the duals at all ..... just the steers.

Good luck with your project. Stay safe.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:10 AM   #9

Valve Extensions

Thanks everyone. Headed to the tire shop and have new stems installed and be done with it.

Tampa Traveler
Old 10-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #10

Kinda curious to your final outcome. What did they find? What did they do? Did it improve the situation for you?

I still have issues with one inside dual tire and maybe what they did for you would work for me.

TIA
Old 10-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #11

Exactly what I’m going to do, borg valves and have my shop picked out for install.
Thanks

Tags
valve