Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2022, 07:52 PM   #1

Valve stem extensions

Before my next trip, I want to get some valve stem extensions for the rear dual tires on my 2004 E450 Class C. The inside tire on the dual tires is so difficult to check and harder yet to fill. A standard air hose will not work so on the road, I have to change to an air nozzle I keep onboard. How have others solved this problem so the pressure can more easily be checked outside the rim?

Thanks,
Marty57
Marty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 08:25 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Marty, I waited and waited for years before I bought and had these installed. I bought these because I lost a rear wheel simulator, hub cab, and it took out the inner valve stem extender. Also took out the valve stem itself. Obviously a flat tire.
They are expensive, but it only takes me about 10 minutes at the most to check and fill the tires.

https://www.amazon.com/DL1EC-Chrome-...616471&sr=8-18
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:11 PM   #3

I've been using braided extensions for four or five years now. One thing I did when installing is to put a small mount of blue loctite on the threads. The outside ends are connected to a bracket that is riveted to my center cap.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
Marty, I waited and waited for years before I bought and had these installed. I bought these because I lost a rear wheel simulator, hub cab, and it took out the inner valve stem extender. Also took out the valve stem itself. Obviously a flat tire.
They are expensive, but it only takes me about 10 minutes at the most to check and fill the tires.

https://www.amazon.com/DL1EC-Chrome-...616471&sr=8-18
That's what i have been looking for, thanks. i've has the braided type on another RV but this looks less complicated. Next step would be the electronic tire pressure monitors. Expense is kind of irrelevant; no doubt it will cost a bunch to have them put on. Do you use the long extensions on the outer tire; it seems only the inner wheel would need the extension .
Marty57
Old 08-16-2022, 05:14 AM   #5

I had a 2003 class C
I tried the chrome ones and the braided extenders.
finally bough a set of replacement brass ones from here:

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/produ...allyvalve-dl1e
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:26 AM   #6

Marty57-

I found the DuallyValve solid stems, per "ransil," above, worked well on all six tires- even the fronts. Make sure you get the correct ones for your coach's wheels. The person I got on the phone at "Your Tireshop Supply" did that with me, and pleasantly, too.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:35 AM   #7

We added TPMS sensors on the RV so hard lines were the only way to go. When I bought it it had the flexible extensions and they were a pain to fill. Good riddance. One thing to know, we rotated tires this summer on our C Class and the tires had to be removed and placed back on the wheel in its original position or else our wheel covers wouldn't work. Think of it as rotating only the tires and not the wheels. Added some cost and labor. Still the best way to go IMHO.
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:40 AM   #8

Valve extensions work well when installed properly, and until you disturb them, most especially the braided ones. The original valve on the wheel must be the screwed-on all-metal type, not the flexible rubber type.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat46 View Post
We added TPMS sensors on the RV so hard lines were the only way to go. When I bought it it had the flexible extensions and they were a pain to fill. Good riddance. One thing to know, we rotated tires this summer on our C Class and the tires had to be removed and placed back on the wheel in its original position or else our wheel covers wouldn't work. Think of it as rotating only the tires and not the wheels. Added some cost and labor. Still the best way to go IMHO.
I want to add a TPMS also to the rig. A couple trips back, I pulled in for gas to find my inner dual flat from a broken valve stem. When I got home, another inner dual had gone flat and I don't know how long I drove on that tire but it was ruined. I have steel valve stems now but need the extensions. Next will be to figure out best tire shop to go to to have the tires rotated and new stems added. These tires are just three years old and only about 10,000 miles so I have some life left on them. Any suggestions on national chain to do the work or, if you know the Pismo Beach area of California, in this area? Great info so far, thanks.
Marty57
Old 08-16-2022, 08:30 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Marty, I use Discount tire for my tire needs. They won't work on 19 or larger but will work on ours cus they are 16's. Good luck
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:14 PM   #11

We just had to replace one of our dually extensions. This is what we got and it's a perfect match for what was being replaced.
https://www.alltiresupply.com/collec...32555457871946
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
Marty, I use Discount tire for my tire needs. They won't work on 19 or larger but will work on ours cus they are 16's. Good luck
Thanks, I'll give them a try.
Marty
Old 08-17-2022, 10:31 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty57 View Post
Before my next trip, I want to get some valve stem extensions for the rear dual tires on my 2004 E450 Class C......How have others solved this problem so the pressure can more easily be checked outside the rim?.........
Stainless steel valve extenders.......that is the first thing I install whenever I purchase a new vehicle and motorhome, where required.......some require angled valve stem extenders, like Melbree, so you need to carefully check what angles are required to get access to the stems to check air pressure. Get them quickly on Amazon. Valve stem extenders I recently installed on my truck and motorhome are:

Mellbree 6-Pack Valve Stem Extenders – 45 degree, 90 degree & 135 degree Schrader tire valve stem extenders

TcJ-Chen 2pcs Stainless Steel 7"/180mm Tyre Tire Valve Stem Extension Adaptors Car Truck Trailer RV Trailer Vehicle

6 Inch Dually Valve Stem Extenders - 2 Pack - Easy Install, Heavy Duty, Straight Metal Dual Wheel Valve Stem Extensions for RV Tires, Truck, Motorhome, Coach, Pickup, Ram 3500, Trailer, OEM Grade
Old 08-17-2022, 11:46 AM   #14

I gave up on extenders a long time ago. I use a dual foot chuck to fill my tires, and a dual foot gauge to check them.

Milton Service Gauge

Milton Inflator

Currently without travel trailer
Sbad0cko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve